Faster Setup time...

loop

For you that travel alot and have to set up your own sets. What are some of the tricks you use to fasten this process?

loop

grimey mike

MAKE the bandmates help! lol! i try and have all the stands attached to each other, so its just one main stand on each side.... it helps cus you just chuck one stand in the cases rather than like 10! but i just find that getting people to help carry speeds it up, i think most of the time setting up is getting it to the stage!

Rob the Drummer

If you use a regular carpet, duct tape the exact spots of your stands. Also use memory locks on your hardware, and if you don't have memory locks, some duct tape works fine! If you have a cool band, you'll help each other with all of the equipment so it's like a trade off. Everyone brings in the gear. I have it really nice, because I play 5 to 6 nights a week and it's all in the same place. Sometimes we are at one place for two weeks, so I set up and tear down one time and play 12 nights!!! :p

Don't forget to take your time when setting up though, make sure everything is tight and ready to go!

Qbs

Rob the Drummer":ucl9amnu said:
If you use a regular carpet, duct tape the exact spots of your stands. Also use memory locks on your hardware, and if you don't have memory locks, some duct tape works fine! If you have a cool band, you'll help each other with all of the equipment so it's like a trade off. Everyone brings in the gear.
same here. there are 7 of us (we are seven;]) in the band and everyone helps :). as for faster assebly of my kit I have a carpet with duct tape marking the exact spots of my stands, pedals etc. as for the stands, holders etc I mark the specific positions with a marker pen :)

grimey mike

the only thing is, when i mark stands and stuff, i always find that i change my set up, then i dont know which mark is tyhe right one! haha!

Qbs

I have the same problem... I changed my setup so many times that now I have 3 different colors marking heights etc on my stands :) it gets confusing when I have to set up very quickly :lol:

grimey mike

Qbs":i7i862xf said:
I have the same problem... I changed my setup so many times that now I have 3 different colors marking heights etc on my stands :) it gets confusing when I have to set up very quickly :lol:
haha :p youll be running outta colours soon!

Rob the Drummer

I use a ring of tape around where I don't have memory locks. The stand stops on the mark. Can always take it off and place it somewhere else!

BillRayDrums

I play a 4pc. kit. That sets up really quickly.

If you have a larger kit then I recommend getting memory locks and perhaps using a paint pen to mark your cymbal tilter positions. Also, clamp-on booms and stuff make it go quicker and they will let you avoid the extra weight of another tripod base. If you opt to have many clamp-on booms then maybe you'll want to number them according to the stand.

In one of my older setups I had a 6 pc. kit (2 racks, 2 floors) and about 0 cymbals on booms. I had a tripod to the left of the bass drum and also one to the right. On these stands I designated the right stand "R" and the left "L". From there I had pearl AX-30 adapters (the 3-hole kind) and each boom was designated "R1" R2" or "L1" L2". Granted, that's not allocating the 10 cymbals I had but you get the idea now eh?

~B

dinovalentino

Get to the gig EARLY, get set up before the guitarists bring in their gear, PA guy starts, etc. Get completely set up, but allow yourself time after they have clunked around your drums to re adjust everything, then just rock out!

Qbs

grimey mike":3fl9gxdy said:
Qbs":3fl9gxdy said:
haha :p youll be running outta colours soon!
and that is the reason why my setup isn't getting bigger ;]

dutch

well, first off you guys need to buy some GAF tape!! it's a bit more expensive than duct (bout 15 bucks a roll) but leaves no sticky stuff! (and it comes in more colors than the rainbow)

i "idiot proofed" my kit, gaff on the wing nuts that move. ie, if it's a 3 part stand and only the top part comes off to go into the stand case the wing nut that tightens the top part has gaff on it. same with tom arms, cymbal nuts etc, this makes anyone helpfu!

nydrummer

hey guys! first post here. anyway, on set up time, I use a Sharpie on all my stands. a quick line on it helps me angle everything properly. just match the lines at all the tilters and you're good to go.

CooknessMunster

I personally play on a 4 piece with 1 crash a ride and hats....basically 2 cymbal stands. My rack tom is is permantley on a basket stand along with my snare. the fl. tom is mounted off my ride stand. My total set up time is less then five min. Set up time is pretty crucial. the faster you can get set the quicker you start playing in turn keeps people more in terested in the club than leaving and going somewhere else. I also tune my drums using a drum dial....I know the right tension for every drum which cuts down time messing with the drums as well. I'm usually set quicker then everybody else in the band.

racefan33

I use a Gibraltar Rack. Saves a lot of time because I don't have to adjust any cymbal/tom arms, they just go on and off the rack. Memory locks and I use the 1/4 inch colored dots that Avery makes. I can get away with four colors by going in single, double, triple code. (yellow, red, blue, green, 2 yell, 2 red...) Because the dots are only 1/4 inch big you can place them on the memory locks and the clamps and hide them from the front view. It also makes it easier for someone if they are helping because everything is color coded.

I also use a carpet with tape marks on it. I put a "U" were the bass drum pedal sits and then a little marker where one of the lugs of the bass drum aligns with it to make sure the pedal is centered correctly on the drum.

The Vater Slipnuts also save a lot of time with the cymbal set up.

drummer_jim

I find that the use of multi-clamps to reduce the number of stands helps a lot. I mark my stands with a white paint marker (duct tape will eventually start rubbing and leaving tape residue on the inside of your stand). Having bandmates that are willing to help move things helps out a ton!!!! Also, try to maximize your cases. Get a stand bag and you can put your stick bag and bass drum pedal in with it, as well as your throne. I got double tom fibre cases, so I can get two in one. I use a 16" hard case for my 14" floor tom. That way the snare can fit as well. I get all my stuff (bass drum, 10", 12", 14" & 16" toms, snare and mini timbales) in 4 cases. All that is left is a stand bag and cymbal bag. That way I can do it alone in 3 trips max.

Hope this helps some!!

drummer_matt01

Shalaq":3bj2jpui said:
Ask the bandmates to help :p

haha haha hahahahahahahahahahahahaha like that would ever happen haha, nah serious a drum rack and memory locks makes it go alot quicker, and your drums will alaways be the same everytime you set em up