Fame and Fortune

freddy5g

What does it mean to you?

It seems that musicians have now, more so than ever, equated musical success to making money and how many records they have sold. Whatever happened to playing the music you truly love as an end in itself?

Is it possible to conform to the standards of the music industry and still play the music you love?

Gaddabout

I keep thinking we're going to come to the right conclusions about fame -- that it's pointless and sometimes perilous way to live -- but the number of people willing to do the silliest things just to be on any reality TV show prove we don't get it. Fame is false love, because people "love" you for what you do, then fill in the blanks about who you are by projecting how they wish others viewed them. And that's just the preferable form of fame. Can't imagine what life is like being truly infamous.

This is why I think Alice Cooper taking his make up off, eschewing all drugs and alcohol, and confessing he's been a golf junkie all his life is hilarious. It just shreds his former image into pieces and people who made assumptions about who he was are brought back into a startling reality:

"Hey, this guy could be my father."

Fortune is definitely relative, but so is poverty. I haven't seen much financial poverty in this country -- at least my perspective has changed after a couple of visits to Mexico. If you've got indoor plumbing, a TV in the living room, some food in the kitchen, and functional transportation in the garage, you are WEALTHY by the world's standards.

To answer your question, I think sacrificing for art is honorable, as long as you are not also making sacrificial decisions for people close to you (i.e. the wife and kids). At some point, when the people you love suffer greatly for your pursuits, the right thing to do is to join the bourgeois life and provide for them (money AND your time/affection).

freddy5g

Gaddabout":3n2piouq said:
To answer your question, I think sacrificing for art is honorable, as long as you are not also making sacrificial decisions for people close to you (i.e. the wife and kids). At some point, when the people you love suffer greatly for your pursuits, the right thing to do is to join the bourgeois life and provide for them (money AND your time/affection).
well said. I just want to live a life were I can play drums - that is fortune for me. Fame seems to make everyone miserable and crazy recently. But, yes, sacfricing for art is honorable - but not so much when you have to sacrifice the art itself or the well being of others.

mattdoesrock

Hmmm...

I'd love to be famous. BUT! Not to the usual extent, i dont want all the media crap thats around these days. I want to be famous to the point where I can pay a gig for thousands of kids, in a famous band, you know what I mean? - I just wanna entertain! I dont want to be famous for being that, or in this band, or whatever, I wanna be famous for being a great drummer.

Money....Well unfortunatly, being a drummer hasn't earnt me much so far, but im not complaining, im quite happy with the experience at the mo. But to relate to what ive just said, Id love to be that famous, and if brings in a good income, then all the better, im not asking for riches, but every little helps eh? :D

fashioned

i would only want to be famous for making the type of music i love. to retain full musical control and not be told how you should sound is important, however i'm sure once you become signed to a bigger company that can be hard

Rockula!

I'd rather play for 200 people a night that wanna see me than 5000 that will forget me after the trend dies
As long as I have a place to live and food in my gut, I will be happy playing and touring until I die a premature death
There are countless artists who have small but loyal followings that don't compromosie their art for a pure profit driven record company
Some are mildly successful
Some are downright obscure
But they are doing it on their own terms
That's success to me
The money just poisons it

TheYardstick

I would want to be famous for making music that I love, not by the industry's standards. I would love to right songs that had meaning and things that make a band unique.

markt36264

Express yourself and entertain others first. Fame and fortune are the benefit for some but it's a lot like winning the lottery.

SmellsLikeIan

Flatliner":ox84wulb said:
who cares about fame and fortune? If you can make enough money to not need a day job that's good enough for me.
YYEEEEAAAAHHH buddy! I'm not rich, I'm often broke, and my pickup is a piece of shyte, but there's beer in my fridge, bud in my bowl, and diesel in the van.....let's go! Sometimes I wish I had insurance though. I know I'm young, (27) but one of my best friends recently had a small tumor removed from his head....Thank god it wasn't cancerous, but now he's deaf in one ear.

fuzionman

What does it mean to you?

It seems that musicians have now, more so than ever, equated musical success to making money and how many records they have sold. Whatever happened to playing the music you truly love as an end in itself?

Is it possible to conform to the standards of the music industry and still play the music you love?

at one time, thats what i was hoping for....fame and fortune. then i realized that playing great music with great people, developing yourself into the best musician you can become, and making people happy with the music, no matter where its played....is better than all the money in the world.

look at bands in the mainstream now...most of them suck. they're all factory concoctions of the big 5 major labels and the RIAA. they're all the result of some marketing focus group saying "Hey, put them on the air!". remember the days when musicians could play their instruments REALLY well? remember when good songs were written? remember when the music had FEEL? where has that gone? i've seen more feel and skill from local bands who play in the bar then the goofballs who i see on MTV nowadays. the old way of selling music is going to die. look at the major labels loosing all tha money every year. they can't even break even anymore...and they sue their customers as a result...real smart. i hope all the fame and fortune crap falls because i think it will rejuvenate the mainstream music scene.