Extra Drums vs. Extra Cymbals

What would you rather have?

• lots and lots of cymbals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • lots and lots of drums

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

loop

For the record, this is just for the sake of debate - I already have my own setup planned out.

Anyway:

If you were limited in budget, would you rather have lots of drums and a few cymbals or lots of cymbals and a few drums?

Or, would you rather take the minimalist approach like lots of MTV-bands and have few of both?

Personally I think plenty of cymbals is the way to go. All you really need on drums is 4 pieces, but the variety of sounds you can get out of lots of cymbals is really attractive to me, with my style of drumming.

I also find that cymbals can be more frequently used than toms - many times tossing in tom-fills clutters up the song (unless you're Danny Carey), while tossing in cymbal crashes, tinkles, etc. can reinforce the song...

What do you all think?

prog_drummer_77

im exactly the same! there is soo much more that you can add with various cymbals...whether it be using a stax instead of a hi-hat or a bell....or various splash sizez! I LOVE CYMBALS and i don't think that anyone can have enough. although i also LOVE having Timbales for extra effects, they aren't nearly used as much as my cymblas. btw, great debate subject! because there are sometimes when i get confused on what to spend my money on! :lol: (it always ends up being on a cymbal!

DrummerKat

I agree.. I am a cymbal nut.. Plus the more cymbals you have the less room for your band mates and sometimes they deserve it!

m

I think it depends on what you're doing- as with just about everything in music, I guess. Too hard to generalize.

I like to split the difference, personally. Though I think I'd gravitate toward more drums if I had to choose. We do a lot of tribal/tom-based stuff.

Capeside Alex

loop":3v96hr8k said:
Or, would you rather take the minimalist approach like lots of MTV-bands and have few of both?
Sorry but this is the most retarded mindframe I've ever read/heard. You could've said "lots of bands", but the MTV part dropped my respect for you by about half, and I could care less how good you are. It's like me saying "Or would you rather take the over-busy approach like lots of tech bands and have way too much of both." It's not necessary to have a ton of both, or minimal of both. If I had to choose, I'd go with drums. Cymbals in about 90% of recordings have no tone and you can't tell which cymbal is which. Drums on the other hand do. I myself, have a 4 piece with a set of hats, two crashes, one ride, and a china. Not the craziest setup, but it works. It's what works best for me. If by being minimal makes me a carbon-copy MTV band, then sign me up. Because drumming isn't about being the craziest, and hitting every drum and cymbal in a fill, but the most creative with what you have to work with (a.k.a the music written). Dude, I hope you stick with what you planned out after this little post, because this was a thread just brewing an argument. HAHAHAHA!

Alex

loop

I didn't mean to be malicious. You misconstrued me. I hope I'll manage to get your respect for me back. Cheers:)

prog_drummer_77

personally, i don't take that comment about the MTV bands to be in any way rude or worthy of loss of respect...i mean honestly...if you watch most (not all) of the bands on MTV nowadays, they have small kit setups. This isn't a bad thing because it suits their style, genre and what they like....i don't think that loop was "bashing" the smaller kits, it was just another alternative...some people like tons of cymbals, some people like tons of toms, some people like tons of both, and some people like to keep it simple that is all. and i think that is all he was trying to ask! :D

Brazilian Drummer

I would like more cymbals, as far as drum for my set the only think I would add would be one more snare and one more rack tom. but I wouls add like 6 or7 more cymblas to it iff I could... lol

trauts_cire

I do have more cymbals than drums but not much more. I am tottally happy with my kit. A 4 piece with 2 crashes, HH, ride, splash, and a china. Just a typical set but I love it.

conwen88

I always side on the extra cymbals. I do more live than recording and I find the different tones of cymbals can change the accent of the fill, rolls, etc. I have a 6 pc set w/ double bass and a set of roto-toms. For cymbals I have 2 HH, 10" splash, 14" thin, 16" crash, 16" thin, 16" metal, 18" crash/ride, and a 20" ride. But I still want a china and maybe an 8" splash.

grimey mike

if i was starting from scratch, and could get a really nice, reasionably big kit, and little amount of cymbals or smaller kit more cymbals i would go with the bigger kit, i just like the feel of about 4 toms, 2 rack 2 floor and 2 bass! then just work on the cymbals, wouldnt be in a rush for them if i have a perfect kit! lol

Qbs

I too am a big fan of having more cymbals than drums - you don't have to tune them, change heads and they're easier to pack into a small car ;)

As for a lot of drums, I believe there was a record on which Phil Collins used only drums - I think it was with Peter Gabriel but I'm not sure and I've never heard it myself, its just that a good friend of mine once brought it up in a similiar conversation.

anavrinIV

i personally have more cymbals than drums but i would personally like more of each although if i had a limited budget i would get more cymbals but......

theres other things than toms that most people arent taking into consideration in terms of drums...things such as octobans, gong drums, timbales, congas, bongos, and such. if i had everything i wanted it would probably level out in terms of drums and cymbals. of course, most people wouldnt find a use for things such as octobans but i would personally love to have an entire set of them.

Drum Naked

I have to say that I prefer an equalized approach. I feel that balance in your kit is the key. You can get different shades of sound from each of your cymbals by where how and with what you strike them. Toms should be used as an emphasis and I prefer 4 toms and by how and when you use them really makes a difference in your composition.
The great thing about music is that each person can express themselves and create something unique

The19thHole

Cymbals, i only have a 4 peice and it can still put out solos just as good as a 10 peice. I enjoy more cymbals because it makes me feel more comfertable...i guess

Vetis

Well..thankfully I ran into a deal when I bought my kit. I got a Pearl Export EX ( not the best, but im not picky ) 5 peice for 220$. I added two more drums to it for 105$ a drum. So thankfully I got my entire kit for relatively cheap.

If I were to choose between Cymbals and drums, I would go with cymbals...but then my tom-loving side would be pissy...so I'd have to go with the drums. So I like a hearty mixture of both..I simply cant decide.

Then again Im a metal/death metal drummer..so I love them all!!

Stoned Gerbil

Defiantly cymbals! You don’t need allot of drums to be expressive and get your point across. For instance you rarely see drummers using two of the same tom tuned exactly the same but many drummers choose to use two matched cymbals to get a louder bigger sound without compromising the pitch when both are hit simultaneously. Where as when hitting two different crashes at the same time may cause some dissidence between the conflicting pitches of the cymbals. You may in fact want that sound but with cymbals its better to have the option! For example Vinnie Paul (Pantera, Damage Plan) uses almost a symmetrical set up with at least 2 pairs of matching crashes and Chinas. This also means you can get an even sound without to much effort whether your right/left hand is playing the hats or the ride. I don't use any matched cymbals but am trying to make a point! It’s good to have as many hi end sounds as possible as the sub frequency of floor toms can get lost in between everything else that’s going on! And there are so many options with cymbals! Plus some times with the drums themselves less is more!