exports?

should i?

• DO IT!!!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no dude, save up for something better.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

metalhead94

i might be gettin the export joey jordison signature kit soon. not just because i like joey and slipknot (which i do), cuz exports are supposed to be good drums and it comes with his sig. snare which is killer! i will eventually replace the sig. front bass heads with reso. emads. think its worth the $1200? thats with 4 cymbal stand a snare stand, pedals, a hat stand with a clamp that attaches the bass drum to the hat stand

anavrinIV

i, honestly, would go a completly different route. if you want a big setup then i think you should start smaller with better quality drums and work your way up. mapex has a saturn set that comes with 8x10, 9x12, 14x14, 18x22, 5.5x14 snare, 2 cymbal stands, snare stand, bass pedal, hihat stand, and, if you order from massmusic.net, you can get a 7x8 tom for free, all for $1770, and they are worlds above exports. if you already have a set then keep it until you can afford something better. if this is your first set, theres no need to start on something that big.

dwtoast72

go PDP or Tama for intermediate. I don't advise mapex; I would however advise pearl over mapex. But I'm advising 2 different makers over pearl.............wow.... Now, I'm expecting somekind of backlash from the boy in pink about this, but whatever, you can listen to a 17 yr old dude telling you to go mapex, or you can listen to a 25 yr old seasoned drummer with more time behind various kits and access to a slue of resources for researching his options......

anavrinIV

dwtoast72":2aiu6wjn said:
go PDP or Tama for intermediate. I don't advise mapex; I would however advise pearl over mapex. But I'm advising 2 different makers over pearl.............wow.... Now, I'm expecting somekind of backlash from the boy in pink about this, but whatever, you can listen to a 17 yr old dude telling you to go mapex, or you can listen to a 25 yr old seasoned drummer with more time behind various kits and access to a slue of resources for researching his options......
i wasnt going to say anything about the fact that you hate mapex for no reason but im not going to stand for you insulting me and putting me down because youre older than me. ive never heard any real reason from you as to why you hate mapex, you just do. there are lots of guys on this forum who play them and love them and have no problem with them so i dont know why you do. further, just because im young doesnt mean i havent played my share of kits and cant come to conclusions on my own. i have a decently trained ear and ive done research into as many different companies and lines as i can just so i can give better advice on forums like these. if you give me a genuine reason as to why you dont like mapex, or pearl for that reason, ill consider your responses valid.

and i cant believe that youd suggest pearl exports over mapex saturns...poplar vs maple isnt even a contest.

Hack_and_Slash

anavrinIV":50s23ym6 said:
and i cant believe that youd suggest pearl exports over mapex saturns...poplar vs maple isnt even a contest.[/color]
Wow. There is no valid reasoning behind that suggestion.

AmnestysLowEnd

I play an export because it was $375 for the shells so I could not loose at that price, BUT if you can afford better than do it you should always buy the best that you can afford.

BTW I LOVE MY EXPORTS!!!!!! :twisted:

anavrinIV

Hack_and_Slash":gtw5jf2l said:
anavrinIV":gtw5jf2l said:
and i cant believe that youd suggest pearl exports over mapex saturns...poplar vs maple isnt even a contest.
Wow. There is no valid reasoning behind that suggestion.
have you heard poplar vs maple? theres a huge difference. he said he would go pearl over mapex...i took that to mean the exports over the saturns that i suggested. there is valid reason...its basically just common sense to any seasoned drummer.

dwtoast72

anavrinIV":2kn000iy said:
i, honestly, would go a completly different route. if you want a big setup then i think you should start smaller with better quality drums and work your way up. mapex has a saturn set that comes with 8x10, 9x12, 14x14, 18x22, 5.5x14 snare, 2 cymbal stands, snare stand, bass pedal, hihat stand, and, if you order from massmusic.net, you can get a 7x8 tom for free, all for $1770, and they are worlds above exports. if you already have a set then keep it until you can afford something better. if this is your first set, theres no need to start on something that big.
just validating my suggestion, I don't like mapex, period! I know and trust DW; I know their process; I know that every drum is made to order for every customer; and I know that, as I'm the owner of 2 DW kits, the sound is unreal!! Doesn't mean that they're the best, period. But I won't put Mapex in front of them; EVER! Been behind many-a-kit by many-a-maker, to include Mapex Ms, excuse me, "Pro" Ms. Tell me something about their drum fabrication process....please!!! I've so far only found they're all made in friggin' China; not a comforting thought, KNOWING full well that my drums would be made in a communist country...... probably a bunch of 10-13 year olds putting this stuff together.....awesome......I don't think so!
And if you're offended by my previous post, then you either need to grow up, or thicken your skin, bro! Wait till you get to the real world; this "stop picking on me" attitude that you've got ain't gonna get the job done.
You tend to sound quite knowledgable in your posts here; but you also have the tendency to sound too much like a promoter or door to door salesman (i actually did that once in a crunch,.......yeah, it sucked).
Pearl = Don't particularly like them, but i'd go this way versus mapex.
I'd say go with something better made, ie; Tama or PDP, for an intermediate level kit.

dwtoast72

anavrinIV":r3tzdit4 said:
Hack_and_Slash":r3tzdit4 said:
Yes I was agreeing. I'd take saturns over a freakin export any day.
gotcha. i dont understand dwtoasts hate toward mapex...its unjustified to me.
......It's justified enough for me to advise otherwise

drummer912

dwtoast72":3gqyyz4u said:
anavrinIV":3gqyyz4u said:
just validating my suggestion, I don't like mapex, period! I know and trust DW; I know their process; I know that every drum is made to order for every customer; and I know that, as I'm the owner of 2 DW kits, the sound is unreal!! Doesn't mean that they're the best, period. But I won't put Mapex in front of them; EVER! Been behind many-a-kit by many-a-maker, to include Mapex Ms, excuse me, "Pro" Ms. Tell me something about their drum fabrication process....please!!! I've so far only found they're all made in friggin' China; not a comforting thought, KNOWING full well that my drums would be made in a communist country...... probably a bunch of 10-13 year olds putting this stuff together.....awesome......I don't think so!
And if you're offended by my previous post, then you either need to grow up, or thicken your skin, bro! Wait till you get to the real world; this "stop picking on me" attitude that you've got ain't gonna get the job done.
You tend to sound quite knowledgable in your posts here; but you also have the tendency to sound too much like a promoter or door to door salesman (i actually did that once in a crunch,.......yeah, it sucked).
Pearl = Don't particularly like them, but i'd go this way versus mapex.
I'd say go with something better made, ie; Tama or PDP, for an intermediate level kit.

actually, in this article the ppl tht toured the mapex factory found all the drums were crafted precisly and with care. Every drum whether is a v or an orion is carefully made. It's prolly not as perfect as DW manufacturing, but it's def. not just thrown together in a sweat shop. not tryin to start a fight, just putting some info out there.

here's a brief exerpt to get the gist of my point across. "The quality control is exceptional and everybody, not just QA inspectors, has the remit to discard the product at any stage if it doesn’t come up to standard."

http://www.mikedolbear.co.uk/story.asp?StoryID=1284

drummer912

it says the ppl from the website, which only reviews drums and gear and has forums, toured the factory. there are mapex ads on there, but they dont sell them.

anavrinIV

dwtoast72":3rm4m8jn said:
who toured the factory???? wait.......it was mapex dealers!!!
those workers dont look like kids in drummer912s link...that site didnt sell the drums...and even if mapex dealers did take the tour they obviously didnt think that the drums were crap seeing as how they still sell them. apperently derek roddy runs a store that wont carry dws because of quality control...say something about your beloved deedubs?

you dont have to like mapex, i dont care. but dont tell people lies like "exports are better than saturns" because its just not true. people who ask questions here are looking for truthful answers, and sometimes that means more than "tama or pdp", which is the only real advice you seem to have.

dwtoast72

anavrinIV":2mjg6dx7 said:
dwtoast72":2mjg6dx7 said:
who toured the factory???? wait.......it was mapex dealers!!!
those workers dont look like kids in drummer912s link...that site didnt sell the drums...and even if mapex dealers did take the tour they obviously didnt think that the drums were crap seeing as how they still sell them. apperently derek roddy runs a store that wont carry dws because of quality control...say something about your beloved deedubs?

you dont have to like mapex, i dont care. but dont tell people lies like "exports are better than saturns" because its just not true. people who ask questions here are looking for truthful answers, and sometimes that means more than "tama or pdp", which is the only real advice you seem to have.
I know that's not a quote from me!! I never mentioned saturns. I kept it short a sweet with response. Read, littleman!! My advice didn't go without explanation!!
Quote me accurately, or don't quote me at all! :evil:

dwtoast72

Here's a story for you:
My second DW kit (the setup in my quote), I bought while I was downrange. There was a slight confusion between myself and the dealer on the color (I said Burnt Toast "Burst," she thought I said Burnt Toast "Fade" and placed the order. They came in about 6 months later (they're all made to order per customer, even for dealer's showrooms) and she sent me pictures of them. They were obviously wrong and I wanted it fixed. Thinking that DW went take them back (due to the unusual set-up, and they're timbermatched as a set) I was quite disappointed. She called their DW Rep, he sent me an email, I called him as requested. He asked what my thoughts were on the situation. Told him that I could deal with it AND HE TOTALLY DISAGREED!! He had them ship every shell back at DW's expense, and they put a whole new kit on order for me. But, my shells went to the front of every line for production. And, yes, I did ask if they stripped the shells and repainted them; absolutely not. It took them approximately 5 weeks to get my new shells in. I'm telling you; that's customer service!