explain bpm's to me.

disrupt13

Dont give me a search sandwich,

i dont quite understand a lot of drum talk like bpms and not values

i know quarters are 1 2 3 4, but how does it apply to music.

Blitzer135

bpm is the amount of times you hit a drum per minute on average. it stands for Beats Per Minute and its just like MPH

as for the quater question it means you hit the drum kit every quater of a measure

hope it helped

rufus4dagruv

It would be 150 bpm if you were playing quarter notes. For instance, and I will use 160 strokes because it will be easier to explain, if you were playing 8th notes in 4/4 time, 160 strokes would be 80 bpm. If you were playing 16th notes at 4/4, it would be 40 bpm.

Conversely, if you are playing 16th notes in 4/4 at 120 bpm, you would actually play 480 individual strokes in one minute. I hope this makes sense.

disrupt13

so double how many hits im playing and half is my bpm?
sorry im an ass

so quarters are: 1 2 3 4

eights: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

xdoseonex

Well say your metronome is going at 250 beats per minute. thats your quarter note. so the click would happen 250 times in one minute. if your playin eigth notes at 250 beats per minute you woud be hitting 500 strokes in that minute. and if you were playing sixteenth notes, you would be hitting 1,000 strokes in a minute. because your playing to a tempo where the quarter note hits 250 times in 1 minute.

You can aslo say beats per minute accually refering to how many times the drum is hit in 60 seconds (like the wfd) I did 907 in a minute. so if you count them as sixteenth notes. my quarter note was hitting 227 times a minute. so you would say i was playing sixteenth notes at 227 bpms

SGarrett

Look at your time signature. The bottom number is the value of the note and the top number is how many times that note gets played. If it says 4/4 you have four quarter notes per measure. Your bpm will directly relate to that and all other values are subdivisions played off of those quarter notes.

Howepirate

Here i'll give something to get a ballpark off of. Lets talk about 250 BPM. Thats one 1/4 of a thousand no? So in order to go 1000 strokes in one minute you would need about 16-17 strokes in one minute. This would be playing 16th notes.

dave lynch

xdoseonex":11irvj9b said:
Well say your metronome is going at 250 beats per minute. thats your quarter note. so the click would happen 250 times in one minute. if your playin eigth notes at 250 beats per minute you woud be hitting 500 strokes in that minute. and if you were playing sixteenth notes, you would be hitting 1,000 strokes in a minute. because your playing to a tempo where the quarter note hits 250 times in 1 minute.

You can aslo say beats per minute accually refering to how many times the drum is hit in 60 seconds (like the wfd) I did 907 in a minute. so if you count them as sixteenth notes. my quarter note was hitting 227 times a minute. so you would say i was playing sixteenth notes at 227 bpms
That is it...BPMs on a metronome dictates the tempo..Alot of people will use a BPM as a foundation for LINGO on double kick speed based on 16ths at so many BPMs...In this case the tempo was 227 beats a minute ( 1/4 notes ) and xdosenex played 16ths on top of that at that tempo...Which by the way, that is extremely fast and he did it for the whole minute...some people can play that fast but not hold it even and much less for a whole minute..!!

mrgreenjeans2234

in a standard 4/4 measure.
the 4 on top is how many beats will be per measure.
the 4 on bottom what note gets said beat.
this means that in one measure there will be 4 beats. and the quater note will be your base beat. or the heart beat of the song.
so to count one measure of 4/4 you simply count out 1 2 3 4.
or 4 quater notes.
if you split a quater note in half you will get and eighth note.
theyre kinda like the second hand in a clock, assuming the minute is your quater.
as your minute hand moves the second hand moves twice as fast.
terrible metaphor i know. to count an eighth just say 1 te 2 te 3 te 4 te.
you will hit the drum every time you either say a number or te, now heres the kicker.
the 1 2 3 4 in that are you quater notes and have to be exactly in time with the origonal base beat.
so your te's are notes inbetween the quaters if you will.

i hope this helps. im terrible at explaining things. but if you understood it sweet.
so the hidden message in all of this dont become a music theory teacher :lol:

Howepirate

dave lynch":3cpnn4vm said:
xdoseonex":3cpnn4vm said:

That is it...BPMs on a metronome dictates the tempo..Alot of people will use a BPM as a foundation for LINGO on double kick speed based on 16ths at so many BPMs...In this case the tempo was 227 beats a minute ( 1/4 notes ) and xdosenex played 16ths on top of that at that tempo...Which by the way, that is extremely fast and he did it for the whole minute...some people can play that fast but not hold it even and much less for a whole minute..!!
I need to make a few videos...

phil-drummer

im not even gona try n out do everyone else. but , their 60 seconds in a minute. if you where to hit a snare/ play a beat with one note or ' hit ' played for every second of the minute, you would have 60 BEATS PER MINUTE. as has alredy been explain that its simply how many ' hits' are played in the space of a minute. it also determines how fast a beat is played.

if someone could find a video or 2 it wud be helpful

Rob the Drummer

BPM isn't relevant to how many notes you play per measure. It's all about the tempo set by the metronome or "click".

Here's a guy playin' some 16ths at 290 BPM.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CVo7qxDhgoM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CVo7qxDhgoM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

xdoseonex

i love the way he doesnt tell you hes doing double strokes. tim waterson hits doubles a 300 for 60 srconds stright

xdoseonex

Howepirate":1v0ts6bf said:
dave lynch":1v0ts6bf said:
xdoseonex":1v0ts6bf said:

you should. as should i. iwanna see one you hitting 250

phil-drummer

Rob the Drummer":2p42pjap said:
BPM isn't relevant to how many notes you play per measure. It's all about the tempo set by the metronome or "click".

Here's a guy playin' some 16ths at 290 BPM.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CVo7qxDhgoM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CVo7qxDhgoM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

i dont kno why , but the guy in that video seemed to be quite up his own ass, i just wanted to slap him

Howepirate

xdoseonex":27iobkib said:
Howepirate":27iobkib said:
dave lynch":27iobkib said:
xdoseonex":27iobkib said:

you should. as should i. iwanna see one you hitting 250
Hell if i can get a camera i'll check out how i do on 260 for like 15 seconds or so. Prolly pretty off but hey its a goal i plan on reaching in the next couple years.

Rob Crisp

SGarrett":18p7yafg said:
Look at your time signature. The bottom number is the value of the note and the top number is how many times that note gets played. If it says 4/4 you have four quarter notes per measure. Your bpm will directly relate to that and all other values are subdivisions played off of those quarter notes.
SGarrett is has basically given you the dictionary def there!

It will serve you well to learn to play other simple and eventually compound time signatures. For example learn to play 3/4 as well as 4/4 for simple and compound such as 12/8.