Ever have this happen to you?

GiveItAll

So my sisters band had their first gig last night so i went to support, well the first band gets done and gets off stage and then they start loading their stuff on the stage the drummer started bringing his cymbals up and left them there all of a sudden i see the drummer from the previous band walk up take one of the stands with cymbals on it then walk away. of course i went and told my sisters drummer he went over and confronted the kid and he was like "oh thats you" pulls the cymbals out of his bag ...who the hell does that? you knew they werent yours yet you take them anyway? ever get your cymbals stolen at a gig?

bapudi

i used to work at a club and came up on alot of drums to do drummers leaving masses of shit around the state and back stage.

and we never let that happend. alot of emo bands pull that with gear and we never let two bands on the same stage do to crap like that.

FiestyRedDrummEr

Someone tried to pull that on me. I caught it. He called me a bitch tho. So after the gig there was a fight.
Had to go to court for it.

PDP9000

Nope i have my brother and my really good friend take down and make sure all my
cymbals are in the bag.

Binkx

Been there a few times. That is why I try and get to know all the drummers and form a kind of a bond. That is also why I NEVER leave my stuff unattended. My guitar players and my son help me set up my gear so we can get er done so to speak. When I first started playing set it happened a lot. I was this skinny little long hair but since I grew up and now stand 5'11" and weight 300lbs most people just leave my stuff alone! I will tell you though that I had a set of Paiste rudes walk away. I did find the guy got my cymbals back, and for the price of not breaking his hands and his legs I got a 22" Zidjian ride. I dig however brek his nose!.

Rockula!

There are so many things you can do to your drums that can avert a potential situation like this
For instance, I always mark the inside of the bell of each cymbal with a sharpie using my tag which is "R!" (for Rockula! of course)
You can also do things like putting a slip of paper with your info inside of each rack tube, a piece of tape with your info inside of each drum etc..... or on your heads
This helps to avoid any "accidents" (yeah, right) and pretty much pulls the rug out from under any arguments after the fact
I know that it is tempting to treat this guy just like someone you discovered breaking into your car but confrontation at a club is never a good thing
Firm tactfullness and undeniable truth usually takes the piss and vinnegar out of any righteous indignation that the theif (intentional or not) may display towards you

Brother_Bong

Rockula!":3dbomtco said:
There are so many things you can do to your drums that can avert a potential situation like this
For instance, I always mark the inside of the bell of each cymbal with a sharpie using my tag which is "R!" (for Rockula! of course)
You can also do things like putting a slip of paper with your info inside of each rack tube, a piece of tape with your info inside of each drum etc..... or on your heads
This helps to avoid any "accidents" (yeah, right) and pretty much pulls the rug out from under any arguments after the fact
I know that it is tempting to treat this guy just like someone you discovered breaking into your car but confrontation at a club is never a good thing
Firm tactfullness and undeniable truth usually takes the piss and vinnegar out of any righteous indignation that the theif (intentional or not) may display towards you
Good approach Rockula, I like your thinking. You and I would make fast-friends, Scary!

stump

I'm on the same page as Rockula. As I did in the military ....I mark all of my stuff. If someone tried to take my stuff... well they either get hit or go to jail..or both...hmmm. Hehehehe!! Peace on ya!

GiveItAll

im just a little worried because my band is playing a show with my sisters band on wed and this band with the thieving drummer is playing there too.

DrumFiend0206

GiveItAll":27ilso6s said:
im just a little worried because my band is playing a show with my sisters band on wed and this band with the thieving drummer is playing there too.
Either do what Rockula! and Stump do, and just keep an eye on the dirty thief. If he starts to make a move towards your friends stuff, give him a poke with your pigsticker.

In all reality though, label your stuff, and if someone that you KNOW has stolen stuff before, keep an eye on him, and let the venue know about it.

BillRayDrums

Guy I play with had his keyboard snaked from him (88 key so it was huge) as he was loading out of a club in San Diego. The thieve just walked up and snaked it out the back as Jerry was out front.

A small contingency of us in town have boycotted the club, as they refuse to help Jerry. I won't play there.

Timekeep69

This is where the lack of widespread distribution of Saluda Cymbals and Medicine Man Custom Drums helps out. I've only played one show in my career whre another drummer had Saluda Cymbals and he was a fellow endorser.

Binkx

I have already had one of my sons friends try to help himself to my Medicine Man. After I yelled at the kid and told him that drum was worth 500.00 (have to count border fees and my sentimental value) and a few choice words I threw him out. Then I found out that my son beat the crap out of him! :D

Rockula!

Here are a few additional tips
As we have said before, the best defense is to label EVERYTHING weather permananet or not
A roll of white gaff tape may be expensive but you would be amazed at how many pieces of equipment you can mark with it (put the markings in places that won't be so easily seen so that they cannot remove them as they are stealing them)
Most people will back off once you have solid proof
When confronting the thief (accidental or otherwise) make sure there are several people in the immediate area
Not so much as physical backup, but to have witnesses
No one wants to be branded a thief and it is even worse to be known as a musician that steals from other musicians

Create an "equipment brigade" that is constantly moving
First, make sure you establish an area where your "completed" items are (things in cases, packed up and ready to go)
This will also give you the ability to recognise any missing parts or acessories
Once you have established that all of your stuff is packed up and ready to go to the vehicle, create a continuously revovling line where someone walks up on someone walking away
Theives who steal equipment usually case the backs of clubs to see if the band has this type of system going on
If there's a break in the cycle, that's when they abscond with your stuff
Try to designate the "packer" who is the person best at fitting all that stuff in your vehicle
That person will allways be with your stuff

Lastly, do an "Idiot check"
You feel like an idiot when you leave your throne behind (the item most often left behind)
If you have kept all of your stuff in the same spot, you can usually do a visual spot check

There are so many other things you can do like communicating with other bands regarding whose is whose
Look for similar items that can be mistaken for each other
Bands who have familiarity with each other are also more likely to stick up for your equipment when they see an unfamiliar face picking it up

The biggest defense against getting you stuff ripped is a group of watchful eyes

Just like Mr Myagi says
"The best way to defend against a punch is to not be there"