ever been pissed of by purists?

break the prism

Hey guys. I was playing a show with my jazz combo and we were doing a more laid back, bluesy improvisation. I had my 5-piece Pearl kit there with my piccolo snare, paiste cymbals and moongel on my toms (evans g2 coated heads).
After our set I started up a conversation with some other drummers (all around my age), and they wouldn't take me seriously. they were saying shit like "what are you thinking playing jazz with that kit?", "you're ruining your combo's musicianship with those cymbals", "evans g2s have no tone. if you think they do than you're tone-deaf", "you're not a real jazz drummer. real jazz drummers would never use moongel", and "paiste cymbals are all about flash. they have no real sound".

any of you guys ever run into people like this? the kind of drummers that think jazz drumming depends on what brand of drums, cymbals, heads, etc. that you use?

Timekeep69

I typically can't stand jazz drummers in general...no offense. It's not that they're purists, they're arrogant.

BillRayDrums

Yeah the old "Jazz snobs". Gotta love 'em. Hey, one cleans my windshield in downtown San Diego when I'm giging down that way....either his gig let out early or (wait for it) HE'S NOT WORKING!!! AWWWWWW!!

Q- What's the difference between a blues musician and a jazz musician?

A- A blues musician plays 3 chords in front of 1000 people, and a jazz musician plays 1000 chords in front of 3 people.

I do jazz gigs here and there (because I can, and I do enjoy the idiom) but some of the people are a bit over the top.

TheYardstick

If they say Paistes have no sound then they have never heard some of Danny Carey's crashes (insert drool smiley here).

dave lynch

I would go back to those guys and ask them why don't the find or make some cowhide skins like I had on my 1st Slingerland kit..You can tell them to not create and only do what's been done before...Just tell them, sorry but you're not clone..!!

Rob Crisp

When I was being tough my drum teacher was a jazz musician and he was nice as! So were his entire band. Infact they used to let me play at some of their gigs which was nice.

Not sure if jazz drummers in the states are more arrogant than here in England, but I think it's probably more down to drummers who think they're better than everyone else full stop. You're always gonna get arrogant ass wipes who think they're better than you, whatever style you're playing!

Lancelot Frosty

Yeah, I think that's right.
Thankfully, I haven't had any run ins with people like that.
Then again, I haven't played at a lot of gigs...
Maybe a recital or two for a friend, but that's it.
Makes me wonder how you kept your cool in a situation like that.

skitch

break the prism":28xscjuk said:
Hey guys. I was playing a show with my jazz combo and we were doing a more laid back, bluesy improvisation. I had my 5-piece Pearl kit there with my piccolo snare, paiste cymbals and moongel on my toms (evans g2 coated heads).
After our set I started up a conversation with some other drummers (all around my age), and they wouldn't take me seriously. they were saying shit like "what are you thinking playing jazz with that kit?", "you're ruining your combo's musicianship with those cymbals", "evans g2s have no tone. if you think they do than you're tone-deaf", "you're not a real jazz drummer. real jazz drummers would never use moongel", and "paiste cymbals are all about flash. they have no real sound".

any of you guys ever run into people like this? the kind of drummers that think jazz drumming depends on what brand of drums, cymbals, heads, etc. that you use?
Yeah...and it is everywhere in every facet of life....so get used to it and blow them off! It's how the stuff gets used for expression, not the gear and I am sure you already know this.

NickoJH

Jazz is pretty much built on free expression, imperfections to add character and the like so the hypocracy of people like this really pisses me off. I seriously doubt the founding jazz drummers really gave a shit what kits they used, they were probably happy if they got a kit which didn't fall apart.

It's so true though. I LOVED playing jazz with my old jazz band; in fact some of my best gigs were with that band. I loved the chance for improvisation and getting my time in the limelight etc but the people just really really got to me. The arrogance and the way they were so patronising just made me fed up.

galgano16

thts wht u kall bein a bunch of annoying *******s, i hate when other ppl do tht, i mean, if its other drummers then yea they're more likely than any1 2 kno wht they're saying instead of just a random****bag of the street tht doesnt kno **** or *******s about drums

christopherabruce

As long as your group doesn't mind your gear, don't give shitheads like that the time of day.

Christopher

break the prism":1bt73uoj said:

Potatoe Snack

omg dude, did you seriously use moongel and play jazz? you absolutely can NOT be a jazz drummer then. What were you thinking? I dont care about free expression if you play jazz then you got to play it like it was meant to be. If you do anything else, well, I dont know, I think fire might fall from the sky and the ground will fall out from beneath us.