ever been intimidated...

I Wear Emericas

I'm about to try out for a local band that recently lost their drummer because he wanted something else. So, I'm just kinda nervous. I dont know anything about their last drummer, except he was guy(and I am not =D) and he had some sort of skill.
Ha, how do I "compare" or "match" what he played.
I'm just nervous they won't think of me like they thought of him.

stump

Don't worry about the last guy. When you go in and audition for a band they don't necessarily want a clone of the last guy (or gal). Bring what you have to offer, play the best that you can and see what happens. What people think are opinons and that's all that they are. Keep a positive attitude and play at your level. Don't try to explore outside of the level that you are capable of at an audition. Most of all have confidence in your skill and have fun. It will show that you are not "intimidated!" Good luck.

break the prism

i think the trick is to do something unexpected that makes you look really confident. i went into an audition once and was kind of wqorried about whether or not i could fill the shoes of the band's old drummer. we started playing one of their songs and after the first chorus i got a good feel for it and added a quick cymbal choke on a syncopated line. then during the guitar solo i kicked the beat into double time just because i felt it coming.
when we were done they were like "dude that was awesome. those little licks you threw in were perfect." i've been with that band for six years.

mortem

This may sound really simple, but you must ignore the fact that there was a previous drummer... just go out there and show them your best.

trstn

I go with the "justy don't care about the other drummer". For me it was always more important that the chemistry is right. Just go there, drum the way you're always drumming. Go have fun, they are not going to give you marks or something .... :D And be prepared that they say, sorry but your not the one we want, try not to take it too personal, which is quite hard sometimes. Plan some nice activity after that session...

just go for it
rock
trstn

killdrum1983

stump":p24lbjm4 said:
Don't worry about the last guy. When you go in and audition for a band they don't necessarily want a clone of the last guy (or gal). Bring what you have to offer, play the best that you can and see what happens. What people think are opinons and that's all that they are. Keep a positive attitude and play at your level. Don't try to explore outside of the level that you are capable of at an audition. Most of all have confidence in your skill and have fun. It will show that you are not "intimidated!" Good luck.
i totally agree with what stump said that's the best advice you could receive just stay yourself and focus on your play and it will be allright ;D