Evans or Remo I really need help with this one!!!! PLEASE

DrummerZ

At the moment on my Export EXR kit I have Pearl Protone heads. Now, anyone who uses/used them should know they sound like watertanks. if you have gotten them to sound good, you deserve the nobel prize.

Since my heads sound like watertanks, I was looking to upgrade. I know a lot of drummers use Remo heads, Including most of my favourites. But alot use Evans and apparently they sound better?

I'm a Metal, Death/Black Metal drummer. Please tell me your opinion as to what heads I should get. Which sound the nicest? What tones do they give? A good kick one, snare (coated) and a set of tom heads. Preferably that last long too.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT GUYS!!!

Cheers.

Rockula!

A large majority of people who play your type of music are using Aquarian heads because they provde high volumes while maintaining the compressed/muffled qualities that intensely fast drumming requires so that you may hear all of those notes

Howepirate

DrummerZ":34mejbdo said:
At the moment on my Export EXR kit I have Pearl Protone heads. Now, anyone who uses/used them should know they sound like watertanks. if you have gotten them to sound good, you deserve the nobel prize.

Since my heads sound like watertanks, I was looking to upgrade. I know a lot of drummers use Remo heads, Including most of my favourites. But alot use Evans and apparently they sound better?

I'm a Metal, Death/Black Metal drummer. Please tell me your opinion as to what heads I should get. Which sound the nicest? What tones do they give? A good kick one, snare (coated) and a set of tom heads. Preferably that last long too.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT GUYS!!!

Cheers.
I support Evans to the max. I used to use remo and ever since I started with Evans I don't even wanna look back.

I haven't used much with Aquarian but, I hear a lot of good things :wink:

king_friday

try em both out...see what you like. just because one person likes it, and thinks it sounds great, does not mean everyone will.

SGarrett

Rockula!":1s5p24il said:
I think the point is that he doesn't want to spend the money on trying both out
And the counter-point is that this isn't the last time he'll be buying heads. :)

DrummerZ

Thanks guys. It's just I don't think I've seen any Aquarian heads in the music shop that I get my gear from....
And I know that Joey Jordison uses Remo heads and I like the tone of his drums.
But cheers anyway, I will check out some Aquarian heads.
Normally at the sho they have heaps of set ups they let you play so i'll see if i can jam on a few with different heads.
By the way, i'm 13 lol. Don't have too much money and to get a job I need to be 14... :(

Cheers, DrummerZ

SGarrett

DrummerZ":23olx61s said:
Thanks guys. It's just I don't think I've seen any Aquarian heads in the music shop that I get my gear from....
And I know that Joey Jordison uses Remo heads and I like the tone of his drums.
But cheers anyway, I will check out some Aquarian heads.
Normally at the sho they have heaps of set ups they let you play so i'll see if i can jam on a few with different heads.
By the way, i'm 13 lol. Don't have too much money and to get a job I need to be 14... :(

Cheers, DrummerZ
Don't forget that his drums also have effects and EQ on them. Nothing you do will make unmic'd drums sound the same.

DrummerZ

Mmhm, yeah i sorta figured that... It would still sound similar to unmic'd hey?
All in all though, I just want some heads that don't echo at all or very little.
Oh and, by the way, would I need to replace the resonance heads? What difference do they make?

SGarrett

DrummerZ":fgtcn2oc said:
Mmhm, yeah i sorta figured that... It would still sound similar to unmic'd hey?
All in all though, I just want some heads that don't echo at all or very little.
Oh and, by the way, would I need to replace the resonance heads? What difference do they make?
Similar in the sense that they'll sound like toms. Seriously, dry drums sound very little like professionally mic'd drums.

And unless you're being mic'd, having "dead" drums will make them inaudible to the audience. You seldom hear drums ring once the music is going.

DrummerZ

Mmhm, but when I record myself or play by myself (which is alot more often, seeing as I have no band) it just sounds so ugly and brutal to my ears.

SGarrett

DrummerZ":1zks03ds said:
Mmhm, but when I record myself or play by myself (which is alot more often, seeing as I have no band) it just sounds so ugly and brutal to my ears.
Well, ProTone heads don't really sound all that great. New heads will make your drums sound a lot better.

Have you checked out the Drum Tuning Bible yet? If not, Google it up. You'll get a good idea of what different heads sound like and how to tune them. AquarianDrumHeads.com also has a comparison chart under the Tips section.

AmnestysLowEnd

I just put coated evans g2's on my exr and they sound great. I used to have clear EC2 and they where a bitch to keep in tune but they did sound nice when they were in tune. I would suggest either Coated G2's or remo Emperors, They are virtually the same or try coated EC1's for the sound you are going after. Oh and yeah changing out the reso's out is a good idea. Get either Remo Ambassadors or Evans g1/resonate CLEARS OR EBONY ONLY!! Coated don't sound very good as resos in general, some people like it but in general don't do it.

DrummerZ

AmnestysLowEnd":3j9xuq4n said:
I just put coated evans g2's on my exr and they sound great. I used to have clear EC2 and they where a bitch to keep in tune but they did sound nice when they were in tune. I would suggest either Coated G2's or remo Emperors, They are virtually the same or try coated EC1's for the sound you are going after. Oh and yeah changing out the reso's out is a good idea. Get either Remo Ambassadors or Evans g1/resonate CLEARS OR EBONY ONLY!! Coated don't sound very good as resos in general, some people like it but in general don't do it.

I'll try some of the, out when I go to the City next week.
Also, what do you suggest for a Kick head and a Snare head?

Mitchell?

Aquarian Superkick for the kick, and for the snare...well thats a toughie.

Snare heads are usually hardest to choose, but I use an Evans HD Dry (with the wee vents). I just went to the store for some sticks and the salesman canoodled (?) me into the head, which i was worried about, but it sounds great.