• Evans EMAD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aquarian Super Kick

• Other ( POST )

• Total voters

nateeeeeeeee

Up until now I just played with the stock pearl bass drum head. it wasn't the best..but it fit my budget (Free). Unfortunately last night i smashed a huge hole in it with my pedal. So i've heard awesome review from both these heads. So i'd just like to hear what you people think.

Just post what head you like maybe a reason and your genre of music.

screamkevin

The Evans Emad is an amazing product. Sounds great for any application.

I just cannot ever recommend Aquarian heads to anyone. When a company bases their entire marketing on a farcical premise, their credibility goes right out the window for me. Sorry. Go with the Evans.

Shalaq

I use Attack heads- 2-ply no overtone clear with clear evans patch. It sounds great for rock&roll, has nice smooth lows but with plenty of attack.

scrubs

screamkevin":1wbht6zw said:
I just cannot ever recommend Aquarian heads to anyone. When a company bases their entire marketing on a farcical premise, their credibility goes right out the window for me. Sorry. Go with the Evans.
Care to elaborate, Kevin? I'm not familiar with Aquarian's marketing claims (and didn't see much on their website), though I have tried one of their snare heads and thought it sounded pretty good. Cymbal springs do seem kind of silly to me, however.

screamkevin

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/drumhe ... efault.asp

The big farce is Aquarian's "Tap Test". They claim that when you pull an Aquarian head out of the box and tap it with your finger, you should hear a tone, and not just a thud. They claim that any other head sounds bad due to the fact that it's not "toned", and cannot pass their "Tap Test".

I've never seen a guitar player pull a string out of a pack and pluck it to see if it's "tuned".

Heads are supposed to be loose. That's why drummers have drumkeys and tension rods, to tune their drums. A drumhead works the same as a guitar string: you have to stretch it between points to tune it and gain a pleasing sound. They both operate on tension.

The "Tap Test" is a bullshit claim used to sell a product, and it's false advertising, in my opinion.

Cymbal springs, however, are another story. If you use a China, you really should have a cymbal spring on it. As I explained in another post, a cymbal spring allows the vibration placed on the cymbal to dissapate properly. If you're playing your China with 4 felts on it and the wing nut cranked as tight as it will go, you're going to break your China, period. You're not letting it move, and there is no place for the stress to dissapate.

Cymbal springs = good.

Tap Test = Bullshit.

scrubs

screamkevin":1zwi1u5h said:
http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/drumhead_tips/default.asp

The big farce is Aquarian's "Tap Test". They claim that when you pull an Aquarian head out of the box and tap it with your finger, you should hear a tone, and not just a thud. They claim that any other head sounds bad due to the fact that it's not "toned", and cannot pass their "Tap Test".

I've never seen a guitar player pull a string out of a pack and pluck it to see if it's "tuned".

Heads are supposed to be loose. That's why drummers have drumkeys and tension rods, to tune their drums. A drumhead works the same as a guitar string: you have to stretch it between points to tune it and gain a pleasing sound. They both operate on tension.

The "Tap Test" is a bullshit claim used to sell a product, and it's false advertising, in my opinion.
Hmm...seems to be a common "myth" among drummers. I've heard a lot about Remo's "Qualtiy Control" issues based around this very thing - people say tap the remo head in the store, if it makes a tone, it's a good one, if not, it's a dud. I can't say that I feel strongly one way or the other. Certainly, my snare side heads don't make any tone, but you certainly can tune them. Fiberskyn heads make a "thud" that sounds like cardboard, and they sound like that when I put them on the drums, too. The Renaissance heads have a nice tone when tapped, and ring out very nicely on the drum.

:?

drummert2k

my vote goes to whatever came stock on my pearl masters custom. with that batter and a ported reso and a small sheet in the inside just touching both heads its like thunder.

NCdrummer

Just bought a Super Kick and I love it. Nothing against Evans, as I have no experience with them. I've always used Remo but decided to try something different and I love my SK. It's all about personal preference.

drummert2k

michiganice91":2fav8mg3 said:
wut about the new remo powersonic?
amazing drum head. a little too muffled for my liking though. but if you're looking for a solid thump without ring or anything, just punch, they make a great head.

Brack

I have tried both the Superkick II and the EMAD. The one that I felt was a nicer head, with a better sound and feel was the Aquarian. I am a huge Evans fan and everything else on my set is Evans, but after I heard the Superkick, it will take a lot for me to go to something else.