Evans EMAD bass drum head

vargasdrumbeast

Ok I have a question for everyone

I have been using and Evans EMAD bass drum head for about 3 years now. I think its the best thing I could have done to my bass drum, and now everyone who has ever heard it, including my bandmates think its sounds so much better with it.

Has everyone else had as much success with their EMAD?

Just in case you dont know what it is its basically a bass drum head with an outer lining that can hold dampening rings.

zerodogma

Even though there are a few who put the EMAD down, I love mine. I have had one on for about 6 months with no problems. The only thing negative I would say is the EMAD resonant head is not very good. After the first few big thumps, the foam ring split (and the velcro mechanism they use to hold the foam dampening ring on is ineffective).

phantom1

The E Mad's sound great.Great punchy sound.

The only negative thing I would say is that the plastic channel for the damper ring split on my first E Mad head and I had to Gaffa it.

That didn't put me off though.They last ages.I just put a new one on last week after nearly 2 years with the last one :lol:

i just bought the EMAD bass reso today. my god it sounds great. i cant wait to use it at gigs.
ive never used evans before so i dont know if this is new or anything but i got those foam rings that you put on the edges of the mic hole. my bass drum sounds amazing!

sp4zium

depends totally on what style you're trying to play and what drums you have it on. I have it on my sonor force 1001 (that im trying to sell right now cuz i got a new set...) and it sounded great. gave it a nice punch and still left some of the overtones. It also saved me a pillow =D and now i'm saving up to buy an emad for my yamaha tour custom bass... right now it has WAYYYYYY too much overtone and WAYYYYY too much kick... almost sounds like a friggen cannon... 24 in bass >.< but yeah, i love emad's, and you just gotta tune em right, cuz sometimes that can make the difference.

drumjo7182

they are amazing. i've used the batter side (and tryied 1 ply, 2 ply and coated) for about 2 years. i also recently bought the resonant emad head with the foam ring for the sound hole. the 2 paired together are even better

ddrumbum

I just purchased my EMAD and put it on, tuned it up and OH MY GOD, I love the way my kick sound, so deep and punchy, truly I think Evans heads are #1.

andybfrank

On my old Yamaha Stage Custom, the Aquarian Superkick II sounded way better than the emad. My new Gretsch Renown Maple came with an emad and I love it, but I'm curious to hear it with the Aquarian.

anavrinIV

i have an emad on my bass and just a few days ago i realized that its been on there for about a year and a half. i never have to tune it and the only problem ive had is that the plastic ring split...dome duct tape fixed that. this head has already outlasted an impact pad (gibraltar one that split) and i dont feel the need to replace it yet. i love this head.

i may try the aquarian superkick 2 when i have to replace my bass head next time. i know some guys that swear by it and i want to see what all the fuss is about

break the prism

i use the EMAD with the thin felt and i don't even need to put a blanket or sheet in my bass drum. the head does it all. it's gopt such a great punch.

Musicfreak15678

I had an Aquarian Superkick 2 on my old Export kit. There were a good amount of overtones. With my Renown kit, I have the E-mad. I like the E-mad much better because it has a lower, punchier tone to it, which is what I want.

ultrastu

am i the first on this post who doesn't like emad?
i just think it sounds a bit well duff. Don't get me wrong it makes cheaper bass drums sound much better. but with some bass drums it spoils the natural resonance of the drum whats the point having your custom made dw finish ply is it sounds the same as a pearl export?

zen_drummer

ultrastu":1v4uxmj2 said:
am i the first on this post who doesn't like emad?
i just think it sounds a bit well duff. Don't get me wrong it makes cheaper bass drums sound much better. but with some bass drums it spoils the natural resonance of the drum whats the point having your custom made dw finish ply is it sounds the same as a pearl export?
I'm with you on this one... On a cheaper kick drum the eMad seems to really help, on a higher end drum it sounds kinda flat and goofy to me. I prefer the Evans EQ series stuff which have a bigger, fuller, rounder sound.