Evans EC2

Dave2094

New member
So I have a 7pc PDP LX series kit. I love it but I'm not too fond of my new heads. I still have the stock Remo single ply heads on the bottom and I have Evans EC2's on Top. My ec2's sucked at first and now that I've "broken" them in they sound good on my 14" and 16" floor toms. my 8" 10" and 12" racks toms don't sound as nice. I notice that the inner ring between the plys really does "get rid" of all the high overtones but I think the heads don't ring enough and tey're just not deep and fatty enough sound to them. Maybe it's just me or maybe I don't know how to tune my drums that great. I read the article on here and a very in depth how-to to tune my heads and I wasn't too pleased with the end result.

Can someone maybe point me foeward on this?
how to get a great fatty sound out of evans ec2 heads?
 

phee

New member
The best way to get a good sound out of ec2's is to first, take them off the drums. Then, throw them in the garbage. haha

They are really just a knock-off of the much better Pinstripe head from Remo. A Pinstripe head lightly dampens, an ec2 just makes drums die. Your best bet with tuning is to tune low and match both heads in pitch. If that doesn't get them to ring, nothing will.
 

ArmaniMassacre

New member
wow....my first post on this site and I think I might actually be able to help someone. woohoo!!!

haha....i have a 4 piece Tama kit that i've done considerable amounts of toying with heads and not until i bought the EC2's was I satisfied. I found at first that like you said they were a bit shaky, but once you wear them in they sound great.

I tune my drums very low and the EC2 does produce a great sound for that tuning. My rack tom is a 13 inch and I have a 16 inch floor, with EC2's on top and bottom. I would have to say that with my experience, I'm more pleased with the sound of the floor than the rack tom. I'm not sure if it has to do with the way the heads are constructed or due to the fact that there's more material there, but it seems that the bigger the head (in this series), the better it sounds.

I'm a very heavy hitter and these things are virtually indestructible. I've had them on my kit now for close to 6 months, which for me is an insane time frame, but they sound as good now as they did when they were first breaking in.

I'm not sure of the style you're playing musically, but I think to get the best out of these heads, a lower tuning scale is optimal. I've always tuned low, but when I was messing with hydraulic heads the first time around, I tried tuning up a bit and the sound is just not there. I think the tone from the hydraulic heads is too rich, for a bright, high pitched sound. They always sound better with a bit of punch and whole lot of low-end.

Anyways...yeah....I'm sure I'm not the only one who's used these before, so someone else throw some input in there. I'm interested in seeing it myself....

hope this might have helped ya a little....
 

Dave2094

New member
I play mostly rock and alternative. I think I might try tuning down my drums and see if that helps. But yeah it's like the EC2's don't let them ring at all. I don't too much ring but these heads jsut don't ring enough. I'd rather get a deep fat tone w/a lot of ringing cause I can always dampen them myself.

If tuning them down doesn't get me the sound I want then I'm gonig with Remo Pinstripes. What's a good single ply head to sue on the bottom that can be used with Remo pin stripes?

If I stay with the EC2's would the evans G1's be a good bottom head?
 

beer

New member
I was considering buying EC2's for my kit. My buddy actually recommended them to me, now that i hear that they don't sound as good on smaller toms I'm not sure if i should go ahead and spend the money.. Unless of course i can find a good batter/reso combo for the rack tom.
 

m

New member
weird- I just tuned one up last night on my Tama birch 12" tom, and thought it sounded fine. I've got two 12" toms, I put an EC2 on one and a G2 on the other, and to us they sound exactly the same. We recorded them tuned to the same pitch and there's no discernable difference. I was thinking they don't really make that big of a difference, tone-wise.

The 12" tom sounded best to me tuned as low as it'd go, just a hair above 'slack.' The reso head obviously has a big influence on the overall tone and sustain you're going to get. I found that the EC2 can produce just as much resonance and fundamental tone as the G2.
not what I expected, but we did a blind test, and that's what we heard.

hope you can get yours tamed. Have you tried tuning as low as possible on the high toms?
 

downshifter99

New member
I recently switched to Evans Ec2s,...once they got broke-in they sound great!

A friend of mine that is an awesome jazz drummer/drum salesman,came out to a show we did last Sunday and afterwards he was astounded at the sound of my set.He said that my toms had a nice deep tone to them(it's amazing what a few hours tuning will do).

My snare used to have an Aquarian Hi-Energy but at my cranked up tuning I had NO....Balls.

I switched to the Evans Ec2 Snare reverse dot at there they are....I'm a HARD hitter so,they have to stand-up to me...and they do. :idea:
 

Dave2094

New member
m":2qchuxp1 said:
weird- I just tuned one up last night on my Tama birch 12" tom, and thought it sounded fine. I've got two 12" toms, I put an EC2 on one and a G2 on the other, and to us they sound exactly the same. We recorded them tuned to the same pitch and there's no discernable difference. I was thinking they don't really make that big of a difference, tone-wise.

The 12" tom sounded best to me tuned as low as it'd go, just a hair above 'slack.' The reso head obviously has a big influence on the overall tone and sustain you're going to get. I found that the EC2 can produce just as much resonance and fundamental tone as the G2.
not what I expected, but we did a blind test, and that's what we heard.

hope you can get yours tamed. Have you tried tuning as low as possible on the high toms?
I'm going to try tuning them down next time I get a chance to play. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll post back some everyone cna see my results.
 

FastEddie

New member
The best way to get the best sound out of them is to completely tighten each head til they can be tight no more. Give it a couple of hits do some rolls on them then loosen them to your pitch. the sound will be alot more to your liking i had the heads since they came out and loved them. I found a great sound out of them by using Evans Hydraulics Glass heads on the bottom, bu the decision on what sounds the best is all on the person and the style your looking for.
 

loop

New member
I'd recommend some thin heads for resos just to get a bit more sustain out of the drum. Try remo diplomats or evans hazy 200s
 

Spydr2000

New member
EC2 heads just flat out suck!!! I bought these for my Tama kit because at the time were to be the newest best thing out... What a waste of money. I put these on my drums tune them up and knew right away they were not it. So I spent 50 bucks on a set of heads that might have 2 or 3 sticks marks on and back in the boxes. I should probably just sell them cheap because I'm not gonna use them.
 

m

New member
Spydr2000":pfyi8aih said:
EC2 heads just flat out suck!!!
I should probably just sell them cheap because I'm not gonna use them.
what sizes do you have?
 
You guys gotta have some ring in your toms or they will sound like cardboard! Just remember that when you are playing all by yourself, your drums are going to sound different than they do to an audience with a band playing, especially rock music. If they are tuned too low all you hear is attack and it sounds like crap, to me at least. The high overtones just get eaten up by distortion, but they help your toms cut and be heard through all of it!
 

downshifter99

New member
Spydr2000":hpzx2ls9 said:
EC2 heads just flat out suck!!! I bought these for my Tama kit because at the time were to be the newest best thing out... What a waste of money. I put these on my drums tune them up and knew right away they were not it. So I spent 50 bucks on a set of heads that might have 2 or 3 sticks marks on and back in the boxes. I should probably just sell them cheap because I'm not gonna use them.
The drum guys in the shop should've told you that they need to be broke-in(that's what happened with mine),mine sound great...patience bro'....patience :idea:
 

downshifter99

New member
AugustHouseDrums":2gui4q40 said:
You guys gotta have some ring in your toms or they will sound like cardboard! Just remember that when you are playing all by yourself, your drums are going to sound different than they do to an audience with a band playing, especially rock music. If they are tuned too low all you hear is attack and it sounds like crap, to me at least. The high overtones just get eaten up by distortion, but they help your toms cut and be heard through all of it!
X-actly!!!!
 

m

New member
The drum guys in the shop should've told you that they need to be broke-in(that's what happened with mine),mine sound great...patience bro'....patience :idea:
awww, I wanted to get them cheap! 8)
 

ArmaniMassacre

New member
well...it's a shameless plug, but if you want to hear a recording of them that I did with my band go to www.myspace.com/belowradar and listen to "Find, Destroy Alaska" or "How to Burn Down a State Capital"...I'm not sure which is up on the site, but they were both recorded with ec2's on the rack and floor tom and an emad on the bass drum. our producer was astounded with the meat that the drums had on the recording. I love the heads....maybe i'm the only one who does. I think they were on my drums for about 2 weeks of heavy touring when we recorded, so I guess they were pretty worn in.....so yeah...check it out and if you like it lemme know on here or email the page.....

peace.
 

CJTpearl613

New member
I have a pearl Export EXR fusion kit and I have put the EC2's on my toms. They sound pretty good after you let them break in. I like the sound on my 14" low tom a lot. The two rack toms sound ok but now really the "perfect sound" I like. But im pleased with them.
 

devilspain

New member
FastEddie":3s3shl5e said:
The best way to get the best sound out of them is to completely tighten each head til they can be tight no more. Give it a couple of hits do some rolls on them then loosen them to your pitch. the sound will be alot more to your liking i had the heads since they came out and loved them. I found a great sound out of them by using Evans Hydraulics Glass heads on the bottom, bu the decision on what sounds the best is all on the person and the style your looking for.

to break toms in do what the guy above said but why not leave them over taught for a whole night then come next day loosen and they'll seat better and be easier to tune because they already have been stretched and should last longer too. good luck guys.

im tired of evans im goin back to Remo.
 
Top