evans drum heads

XIxPxGX

i use an evans genera hd dry head i have a pearl export select with a 14x5 1/2 snare drum and was just wondering what kind of evans head i could use to get a nice pop out of or is it just my snare drum quality?

screamkevin

You should be getting a fine "pop" with that Evans head selection that you've made.

But, it would help if you could describe what kind of "pop" you're trying to achieve. A deeper pop? A tighter pop? More "woody" pop?

Your Pearl snare is a fine drum, there's nothing wrong with it. You could try a combination of different tunings, along with different head selections. If you are an Evans player, try putting on a Coated G2, or PowerCenter. It's not as dry as what you have on now. If you really want to open it up, try out a G1 Coated, or J1 Etched.

Your "pop" that you're looking for is most likely in your tuning. Try that first, but if you still can't find it, then try different head combinations. Good luck, and let us know what you find!

anavrinIV

that head will work fine but you have to crank it up. i have the same one on my snare, tuned tight, and it sounds great. if you want a good pop, though, your shell isnt helping you. from what ive found, acrylic gives the best pop sound out there, imo. the spaun vented cokebottle is an awesome snare for a good pop sound and its pretty cheap so you may want to check it out.

XIxPxGX

alright thank you i have it tuned tight but i guess i have to wait till i play a show cause i play in a pretty small room

mikebodrums

i have been using the hd dry for a year now and finally quit using it cause it seems to have more of a slap than a pop in all tuning ranges....for some reason i can get the g1 and g2 on a snare to sound better. or just a goold old school coated remo

XIxPxGX

yea idk im gonna get a different one next time i switch drum heads probaly in about a year or so its a lil to dry for me i might go back to a g2 or try the powercenter

Eliminator

i used the evans st dry with the vents in it for ages and got a really good high pitched pop out of it, if you tune it up fairly tight you get a good cutting crack out of it!

quikstang2

I've had good luck with the G2 Power Center coated batter and a clear Genera resonant on my 14x3.5 phosphor bronze Mapex Black Panther in all tuning ranges. I've got to crank it to get a pop, which is what I was looking for.
I haven't had much luck with those heads on any steel snares, but they sounded pretty good on my 14x6.5 Mapex MarsPro snare.
I've also been experimenting with thicker coated resonant heads and I don't know if it's more crack or pop, but I like it.

sp4zium

use a marching snare on your set :D thats what my friend does :wink: other than that, if the tuning isn't helping the 'pop' level, try adjusting the snare tension. good luck =D

brian

try a evans reverse power dot i have the same set you do and it sounds sweet on mine, i tune mine really high though to get that loud crack!