Endorsements

king_friday

Drumming_Animal":37b36o0q said:
Perhaps someone can help me here...

How do you get endorsed by a brand or company??
Oh and what exactly is it?

Cheers
you have to be semi established as a musician. then either go to some companies and talk to them about an endorsemnt, or sometimes they come to you.

an endorsement means that a certain company (zildjian, tama, sabian, ludwig, vic firth) will either give you their products, or sell them to you at a discount (there are different levels of endorsement from what i have heard) as long as you agree to use their name only. ofcourse there are exceptions, neil peart was endorsed by dw for a while, but he told them that he was still going to use his old supraphonic snare for pretty much everything.

getting an endorsement isnt easy, im tryin to get one from zildjian, i talked to a rep about it...not lookin to good yet. but it will happen! oh yes, it will!

rufus4dagruv

king_friday":83vj5u4l said:
Drumming_Animal":83vj5u4l said:

Cheers
an endorsement means that a certain company (zildjian, tama, sabian, ludwig, vic firth) will either give you their products, or sell them to you at a discount (there are different levels of endorsement from what i have heard) as long as you agree to use their name only.
Exclusivity is usually in regards to promotion primarily. The endorser will usually advertise with the hopes of generating business for the company they endorse. Endorsement deals are a means of marketing a particular product.

For instance, I now endorse Medicine Man Custom Drums. After speaking with PJ (aka Timekeep69), I made a decision to endorse the drums that he builds. My kit is being built currently, but I have already added his logo to a few of the websites that I am affiliated with, and I tell anyone who will listen, and some who won't, about the new kit I've got coming my way. Once I get my drums, I will write a review and post it no only here, but on other websites and message boards as well. I do not feel comfortable discussing the terms of the endorsement deal as they are private, but I am confident that we will be able to help each other in the long run.

Timekeep69

Endorsements are basically advertising agreements between an artist and manufacturer. The basics are that the artist will promote the product and in exchange the artists gets some sort of discount on the product. Discounts vary anywhere between 40% - 100% discounts or sometimes "cost."

Requirements for endorsers vary from company to company but the bottom line is visability. You must be in front of people. Talent doesn't really have much to do with getting an endorsement. You can be the best drummer in the world but if you're not out playing in front of people and spreading the word about the product, you're useless to the company.

The better known the company is, the less likely you're going to get an endrosement with them unless you are very high profile. An endrosement deal with Zildjian or Paiste is going to be alot harder to get than Saluda or Meinl. The smaller the company, the better your chances are because smaller companies are looking for people to help get the word out about their product where the larger, better known companies have the name and reputation are primarily focused on certain markets and demographics.

Hope this helps.

TheYardstick

rufus4dagruv":g5f4fhpc said:
king_friday":g5f4fhpc said:
Drumming_Animal":g5f4fhpc said:

Cheers
an endorsement means that a certain company (zildjian, tama, sabian, ludwig, vic firth) will either give you their products, or sell them to you at a discount (there are different levels of endorsement from what i have heard) as long as you agree to use their name only.
Exclusivity is usually in regards to promotion primarily. The endorser will usually advertise with the hopes of generating business for the company they endorse. Endorsement deals are a means of marketing a particular product.

For instance, I now endorse Medicine Man Custom Drums. After speaking with PJ (aka Timekeep69), I made a decision to endorse the drums that he builds. My kit is being built currently, but I have already added his logo to a few of the websites that I am affiliated with, and I tell anyone who will listen, and some who won't, about the new kit I've got coming my way. Once I get my drums, I will write a review and post it no only here, but on other websites and message boards as well. I do not feel comfortable discussing the terms of the endorsement deal as they are private, but I am confident that we will be able to help each other in the long run.
You are one lucky bastard.

Oh, and next time I go down to Phoenix I'm definitely checking out your drum shop Timekeep, I hope to get a snare built from you within the next year.

Timekeep69

Unfortunately, the drum shop fell through. I'm just building custom drums. I still plan on opening one but not for a couple years.

Timekeep69

yeah, doing calculations, I discovered that to be productive I would have to have cleared over $15k a month. I wasn't about to gamble on that.

rufus4dagruv

TheYardstick":2xr8jcef said:
rufus4dagruv":2xr8jcef said:
king_friday":2xr8jcef said:
Drumming_Animal":2xr8jcef said:

Cheers

You are one lucky bastard.
Well, thank you. I'm really excited about working with PJ and even more excited to get my new kit. As soon as it comes in, I'll set it up, snap some pics and post them here with all the details.

GrindheadJim

Endorsements really shouldn't be an issue until well after you and the acts you are in are somewhat established. By the time that happens, the avenues that could open up to you will be pretty easy to see.

Endorsements aren't a free ride at all; in fact, most of the ones worth having are hard work. Promote your band; be the best drummer you can be. Give the companies someone that can market their product.

nickg

some people just have delusions of grandeur and think that if they get an endorsement they are going to get "FREE" stuff out the ying yang.

maybe if you are one of the TOP drummers in the world you MIGHT get free stuff.

and getting an endorsement doesn't mean you are going to necessarily be placed in their ads in all the drum magazines, or be a featured profile artist on their webite, or become a big star from your endorsement.

but most endorsers get product at a reduced cost, which is a godsend, and stuff shipped to you pronto when you need it.

i've always paid for my stuff, whether it was from Mapex, Vic Firth or Attack. but it is a nice perk to get stuff at a lower cost for sure.

no, i'm not a big star, or even a "star" by any means. but i was LUCKY enough to have some success that i was able to get some endorsements since 1991. and i am deeply grateful for them.

do your best, build up a rep either as a band or an individual, send out some packages after you've built a rep, and cross your fingers.

if you get something happening, all the better! :)

HardcoreDrummer

Timekeep69":bvlmlb7k said:
Unfortunately, the drum shop fell through. I'm just building custom drums. I still plan on opening one but not for a couple years.

so timkeep, how much would a custom 7 piece (2-22x16,12x9,13x10,14x14,16x16,and 10x7 snare ) cost?

Timekeep69

HardcoreDrummer":1hgrlno7 said:
Timekeep69":1hgrlno7 said:

so timkeep, how much would a custom 7 piece (2-22x16,12x9,13x10,14x14,16x16,and 10x7 snare ) cost?
What type of finish and lugs do you have in mind?

HardcoreDrummer

Timekeep69":1x26pd5f said:
HardcoreDrummer":1x26pd5f said:
Timekeep69":1x26pd5f said:

What type of finish and lugs do you have in mind?

I want Black lightweight lugs, like maybe gunmetal-ish shells?

kErmit vOn zOmbie

send any companies that you are interested in endorsing a bio package on yourself, what you do, what type of band(s) you are in, how often you play, do you play locally, regionally, nationally or internationally. have you shot video? are you going to shoot video?, are you recording? do you have a back catalog of CD's etc. it is a business to the drum companies and their bottom line is to sell drums period. they want to see that you are professional and on the ball. largely the people who really don't need it get all of the "free" endorsements and the rest of us who could really use it get the "discount" endorsements. still a cool discounted endorsement is way better than full retail price. (actually i tend to by most kits via the buy and sell etc, retail prices are disgusting for the most part). I had an Ayotte endorsement for one of my CD's, and I currently have a Dark Horse Percussion endorsement for my new kit, which should arrive by the end of next week!!!