Endorsements & Sponsorships.......

ainsleyhubbard

Hello, my name is Ainsley Hubbard. I've been playing for 14 years now and I'm currently 18 years old. Im in a band called the craze and were signed. I've sent out a couple of Endorsement applications to Vater, Dw, Zildjian, Remo and others and no response. Im leaving on tour soon and I think it would ideal to sponsor me and the band. We have this cool Winnebago and i could put adds all over this thing. Im gonna be touring here soon around the U.S. , So how do i do it? Do I need some kind of connect to get into the circuit?!! I mean, I would play for any reasonable cymbal or stick company. So why is this like this? i feel as if im left out and theres really something out there for me to do!!!!

Call me Gideon

First things first. DON"T put ads on your winnebago! That would just be begging to have your gear stolen while you're on the road. Secondly, I'm not endorsed but I have read a lot of things on this board about it. The companies that you're looking to endorse don't want someone that will play for just any company because they'll get free (or cheap) stuff. They also won't necessarily endorse you just because you're signed. They want name recognition. While I don't keep up on all the new bands coming out, I've never heard of you therefore I probably wouldn't buy something because I see you play it. That's what these companies are looking for. I would suggest approaching some smaller, indie companies about the possibility of an endorsement deal as opposed to the majors. More likely to get somewhere that way.

ainsleyhubbard

Call me Gideon":iv509ss5 said:
First things first. DON"T put ads on your winnebago! That would just be begging to have your gear stolen while you're on the road. Secondly, I'm not endorsed but I have read a lot of things on this board about it. The companies that you're looking to endorse don't want someone that will play for just any company because they'll get free (or cheap) stuff. They also won't necessarily endorse you just because you're signed. They want name recognition. While I don't keep up on all the new bands coming out, I've never heard of you therefore I probably wouldn't buy something because I see you play it. That's what these companies are looking for. I would suggest approaching some smaller, indie companies about the possibility of an endorsement deal as opposed to the majors. More likely to get somewhere that way.
thank you. umm.. i think vater should be a good one. But umm....yea..well I guess they will have to see me one day.

m

here's a recent thread discussing endorsements, which will lead to another previous thread on the subject:

http://www.drumsmylife.com/viewtopic.ph ... ndorsement

maybe someday soon we'll have an infinite regression of endorsement threads 8)

one thing to keep in mind in your situation is that, although it's not always a pre-requisite, it definitely helps when you can talk to a company and say "I really dig your product and have been using them for quite a while/I'd be excited to work with a company I really believe in." It's no guarantee that they'll offer a deal, but it would certainly weigh in your favor.

BillRayDrums

Call me Gideon":105inh4o said:
What he said.
Just looky at what Google brings up on the search term "Stolen Band Gear"
http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... 8&oe=UTF-8

You want to put on PLUMBER's stickers. Church swag, whatever! Anything that takes away the fact that you are musicians on the road. Be very discreet. Always park in lit areas, and at least ONE person should camp in the car every night. Sucks when there's hotel rooms available but know what sucks worse? Getting your stuff stolen.

Plus, you will get harassed less by the police. A policeman driving past a Winnebago with a younger type driving it, band stickers on it....Hmmm...gotta be something out of sorts and a more uptight officer of the law might invent something to yank you for.

ainsleyhubbard

BillRayDrums":juk1i2e1 said:
Call me Gideon":juk1i2e1 said:
What he said.

You want to put on PLUMBER's stickers. Church swag, whatever! Anything that takes away the fact that you are musicians on the road. Be very discreet. Always park in lit areas, and at least ONE person should camp in the car every night. Sucks when there's hotel rooms available but know what sucks worse? Getting your stuff stolen.

Plus, you will get harassed less by the police. A policeman driving past a Winnebago with a younger type driving it, band stickers on it....Hmmm...gotta be something out of sorts and a more uptight officer of the law might invent something to yank you for.
cool, well. Ill make sure to do that. And I didn't mean i was going to put ads on for the fun of it, I was saying if I got a endorsement then I would, but now I know not to do it at all. COOL, thank you guys, lata!

bermuda

I've done endorsements for well over 20 years with big and small companies, and have learned (more than) a few things along the way. I compiled a FAQ at www.bermudaschwartz.com/endorsement and I think you may find some of the info there useful.

That said, I echo what's been said in this and the other thread on the subject. I think the most important thing is that you use the products you like... not what may come for free or cheap. Companies have wised-up over time, and are more selective than ever about who they add to their roster. They're much better at spotting those looking for freebies. An endorsement entails a lot more than just what's in it for the player, and smart companies (and smart players) know that.

Best of luck,

Bermuda

Rockula!

WTF!!!!?????
I was going to make fun of you and say that someone else has your name but it's YOUR name!!!!
I saw you guys live and have to say that is was one of the most professional and well played shows I have ever seen
Even the staging and lighting were perfectly executed (from the audience viewpoint that is)
Mr Schwartz, you rule!!!!

Timekeep69

Listen to Bermuda and BillRay, they are by far the most experienced drummers on this board.

As the owner of a custom drum company I will also echo what they have said. Don't go after endorsements to get cheap or free gear, do it because you like the product.

I actually had a drummer email me regarding an endorsement and at the end of his email he added, "You better think twice about what you plan to charge me, I'm talking to other companies." I just deleted the email.

Bermuda! I'll see you in a few weeks!

ainsleyhubbard

Timekeep69":2rcmveri said:
As the owner of a custom drum company I will also echo what they have said. Don't go after endorsements to get cheap or free gear, do it because you like the product.
I never said I wanted to go for free gear. ya maybe some sticks, but im in love with the companys i play. Vater, zildjian,remo,dw/pdp, Ill never stop. Im not taking it for granted.

nickg

ainsleyhubbard":1b9bvt42 said:
Hello, my name is Ainsley Hubbard. I've been playing for 14 years now and I'm currently 18 years old. Im in a band called the craze and were signed. I've sent out a couple of Endorsement applications to Vater, Dw, Zildjian, Remo and others and no response. Im leaving on tour soon and I think it would ideal to sponsor me and the band. We have this cool Winnebago and i could put adds all over this thing. Im gonna be touring here soon around the U.S. , So how do i do it? Do I need some kind of connect to get into the circuit?!! I mean, I would play for any reasonable cymbal or stick company. So why is this like this? i feel as if im left out and theres really something out there for me to do!!!!
just because you FEEL that you should have an endorsement doesn't mean that any companies feel the same way.

with that being said, keep sending out promo material and maybe some company may take a liking and decide that they would also be served by having you front their equipment while out on the road.

but just the fact that you are in a "signed" band doesn't guarantee anything.

and believe me, you WON'T be getting any "free" stuff. very few, except a FEW of the BIGGEST AND THE BEST actually get anything free.

Timekeep69

ainsleyhubbard":3ofd5cpj said:
Timekeep69":3ofd5cpj said:
I never said I wanted to go for free gear. ya maybe some sticks, but im in love with the companys i play. Vater, zildjian,remo,dw/pdp, Ill never stop. Im not taking it for granted.
That's cool. I know that one of Remo's requirements for endorsers is that they have an album either at or approaching 500,000 in sales.

The bigger the company, the less your chances.

bermuda

Basically, the criteria for an endorsement are exposure and influence. Specifically, the company wants to know how many people will see that player using the product, and if those people are likely to purchase that brand as a result. If the answers don't meet with the company's expectations for promotion, then an endorsement is very unlikely.

Endorsements are part of any company's marketing plan, and those who are most influential to the most people make the best endorsers.

Bermuda

BillRayDrums

ainsleyhubbard":2ck8iyjy said:
BillRayDrums":2ck8iyjy said:
Call me Gideon":2ck8iyjy said:
What he said.

cool, well. Ill make sure to do that. And I didn't mean i was going to put ads on for the fun of it, I was saying if I got a endorsement then I would, but now I know not to do it at all. COOL, thank you guys, lata!
Sorry!! I guess I got sidetracked by the whole stickers on the van thing.

Read Bermuda's page on endorsements. That's pretty much the lowdown. :)

SGarrett

Outstanding. Welcome aboard Bermuda. Great to have you here.

I went ahead and stickied this because the link that Bermuda provided is excellent. This is such an often asked question that it should be easily accessible.

SmellsLikeIan

Funny, the first cassette tape I ever told a friend to copy for me was 'Even Worse'. I guess I owe someone some $$! That had to have been around 1987 or 88. Have you been with Al since then?

-May the Schwartz be with you!

Timekeep69

Bermuda may lurk but he doesn't troll. He's a wealth of information in both drums and the music industry.

And If my memory is correct, he's been with Weird Al since day one. I just saw them in October and they but on one of the best shows I've seen.

SmellsLikeIan

Okay, sorry. I didn't mean trolling in a bad way. I freakin' love Weird Al and Bermuda......BTW, funny I saw the MSNBC tattoo documentary today with the guy with the tattoos of all the bandmembers...Holy Shiite Muslim, how cool is that for your image to be tattooed on someone's body. Another funny thing...An autistic kid that used to live across the street from me when I was in grade school was running a Weird Al fan site when I ran into him about 10 years back. It's cool how the world can seem so small and yet so huge sometimes