endorsement deals

iatemygoat

haha iw as gonna post a thread about this today actually. im in ur same position. from what ive seen, a company usually has a link in there CONTACT section. sometimes it gives you details about what a press kit should involve and sometimes it just says send in a press kit, or have your manager or label send in a press kit.

ive been meaning to send in a press kit to Vater. help me out on how to put together a good press kit? i.e. what should i include in it?

screamkevin

Okay, let's begin:

Don't go out looking for "Free" or "cheap" stuff if you are looking for endorsements or sponsorships. Most companies give their endorsers discounts on materials, and it's a waste of their resources if you're not playing their gear if you don't believe in it. Don't waste the companies' time or resources by being an "endorsement slut". Only go for endorsements on equipment you use, have tried and are highly interested in, and prefer.

For the rest of my answer, this site sums it up best. This is a link to what has become the industry standard endorsement FAQ, written by Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, drummer for Wierd Al Yankovic. Read it. Bookmark it. Memorize it. Live by it. You get the idea.

http://www.bermudaschwartz.com/endorsement/index.html

Enjoy.

drummert2k

one fairly big show wont get you a deal. a company wants a drummer who is out touring and playing 3 to 4 times a week to put the companies name infront of tons of faces.

make up a nice little press pack. include a bio of yourself tellingthings drum related that would be of interest. giving lessons and stuff like that look really good on a press pack bio.

include recordings of you drumming with your band and past or other bands you've been in. include video if you have it.

include past tour and show dates.

include up coming tour dates and all your local shows you have booked.

the key to getting a cmpany behind you is lots and lots of playing out.

dont make it sound like you're trying to get free or discounted stuff. make them know you play their gear whether they help you out or not.

and also dont think gender has anything to do with getting a deal. theres really no gender in music (except vocals) you cant listen to a drum part and be able to tell if its a guy or girl drumming.

the companies have to feel that you're playing out infront of enough faces every night to help boost their sales.

so use this show coming up but dont rely on it. book, book, book. if you've already had 1 or 2 full length nation tours than you should have a nice fancy little list of show dates to let them know that you are serious and could put their product infront of lots of faces. just make sure you have a nice roster of upcoming shows to show as well.

I know that they provide some adress you can apply to. For example in Zildjian cymbals web site there used to be a link inside tha page that refered to that subjetc. Be patient, perservarant and prepare yourself (a good idea is to record some video playing drums and stuff, that I remeber was a required by them).

lisamp7":r7omn0pf said:
How do you go about finding endorsement deals? I am playing at the Bamboozle festival at Giants Stadium and I figure that now is the time to get knock on their doors to get free stuff or really cheap gear since i am going to be playing in front of alot of people and being a female drummer. Can anyone help me? I have gone to each individual drum site (pearldrum.com, etc) and i havent been able to find a link to anything. help from anyone would be greatly appreciated!!

Lisa

Lisa, here is something you should consider too. Endorsers are people who must have another point of view of their condition. So, you shouldnt be waiting to "get" free stuff or "cheap" gear, you must adopt your function of "promoving " the brand and more than being in the condition of endorser you must act in FUNCTION of being one. ..do you follow??...Good luck, I hope you achieve this.Let me know!.

lisamp7":6g9qr5d5 said:
How do you go about finding endorsement deals? I am playing at the Bamboozle festival at Giants Stadium and I figure that now is the time to get knock on their doors to get free stuff or really cheap gear since i am going to be playing in front of alot of people and being a female drummer. Can anyone help me? I have gone to each individual drum site (pearldrum.com, etc) and i havent been able to find a link to anything. help from anyone would be greatly appreciated!!

Lisa

Lisa, here is something you should consider too. Endorsers are people who must have another point of view of their condition. So, you shouldnt be waiting to "get" free stuff or "cheap" gear, you must adopt your function of "promoving " the brand and more than being in the condition of endorser you must act in FUNCTION of being one. ..do you follow??...Good luck, I hope you achieve this.Let me know!.

Rockula!

drummert2k":3hd044bb said:
and also dont think gender has anything to do with getting a deal. theres really no gender in music (except vocals) you cant listen to a drum part and be able to tell if its a guy or girl drumming.
That's funny because that's the problem I had when I was listening to your music
ha ha ha

drummert2k

Rockula!":2ewsofmt said:
drummert2k":2ewsofmt said:
That's funny because that's the problem I had when I was listening to your music
ha ha ha
haha, my bands music isnt the best thing to base anything on. in my 2 bands i fit the old joke, "what do you call the guy that follows the band? the drummer." or how ever it goes. basically just meat and potatoes. not much more needs to be done with it.

but i like to tuck my balls in a sit directly on them on a couple of song to the point where im about to pass out from the pain. i find i play best like that.

i guess that kinda has something to do with gender. if im tucked away like on ace ventura i guess technically im a girl for that song.

drumjo7182

try custom drum companies like shine drums, sjc drums, six gun drums, people like that, the;r kits are the same as ocdp and truth but they give out endorsments a lot easier

Rockula!

The drum guy at Lary Morgan is with SJC
All he did was send them a DVD of their last headlining show at The Door with all of those pop punk kids going crazy and they sold him a kit at cost
He was smart enough to get recipts of the gigs he has done, provide MySpace numbers etc... so that he had something to back up his claims
He gets to be on the endorsee list and have his picture on the site

I imagine most people have lots of misconceptions about endorsements
However, if you're gonna have to buy something anyways, might as well get it for cheap and get your picture on the site

Keep in mind that I am only going on what he has told me so I'll believe it when the kit gets here but he really doesn't need to impress me
He knows I think his band is good but his music is terrible

m

I thought we had another 'endorsement' thread running, but can't seem to find it.

I started a blog a while back concerning endorsements and my experiences; if anyone feels like adding anything, I welcome it:

endorsement blog on Myspace

earldrum

screamkevin":1vyxmitd said:
This is a link to what has become the industry standard endorsement FAQ, written by Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, drummer for Wierd Al Yankovic. Read it. Bookmark it. Memorize it. Live by it. You get the idea.
I must say that Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz is a classy drummer. I have had a few personal discussions with him and he knows what he is talking about with endorsements, drum sounds, recording, and just being a great musician. Plus he is a really nice person. This is a great article on how to get an endorsement.

Thanks for sharing Jon's wisdom on this subject.

AJ

It's pretty easy to get endorsed by C & C if you are out playing enough shows and you're in the right band. Just know that if you are working hard enough you can get people to back you.
candccustomdrums.com

Timekeep69

Bermuda is oneof the coolest people I've met. I hung out with him at NAMM for a couple hours.

If you're interested, I build for Medicine Man Custom Drums and am authorized to give out endorsements . Send me an email at pj@medicinemandrumsaz.com if you want to talk but just so you know, we don't give away free drums.

Jaki

endorsements are usually for those drummers who are good and recognized... so you need to get out there and play

tho if you ask any endorsed drummer, they do practice and play drums literally all the time.. it is a way life.. drums comes before everything else

screamkevin

*raises hand* Um, I have an endorsement and interest from companies on at least 2 more, and I don't play all the time. I only play at band practice and at gigs (and my band only gigs 2-3 times per month). And my wife and kids come WAY before my drumming. You've made a giganterous generalization there, bud. You may wanna re-think that statement.

Timekeep69

Hehehe....I wasn't going to say anything, but yeah, I have endorsement deals with 10 companies, don't play out very often, and family ALWAYS comes first before drums.

JT Massacre

It's pretty easy to get endorsed by C & C if you are out playing enough shows and you're in the right band. Just know that if you are working hard enough you can get people to back you.
candccustomdrums.com
Yes it is and I want to thank you, I just applied the other day for a C&C endorsement and got this back from them.

hello j.t. -
jake cardwell from c&c here. i would be into working with you via our
endorsement program. we do a 50% off retail pricing for folks
getting their first kit from us. which is less expensive than what we sell
to stores. let me know what your looking for as far as finish & lugs
go, and i'll get you
a price quote at artist rates..

our program basically involves you keeping our logo on your front head.
we'll help fix and maintain your drums. when ever your touring over- sea's,
we will do our best to get you a kit when you need one. as well as
fly in gig/s in
the major markets here in the states.

and thanks for your interest in our drums.

all the best-

jake