Encouraging snare wires to lie flat

sashowal

I have a problem with my snare wires not resting flush against the head and this, I believe, is causing the snares o rattle for half of forever after I hit the drum. I have just replaced the wires with a new set of Puresound Blasters, so I know the individual wires aren't wearing out. Unfortunately, even with the nice wires and a variety of tensions on the strainer, they seem to be floating a little above the head. I have also tried loosening the resonant head and then tuning it all the way from just resonating to tight enough to make a marching guy cringe and found no zone in which the long sustaining rattle goes away.

It is entirely probable that this is just a problem with my cheap drum, but do any of you have any suggestions or tricks that might help? (Other than buying a new drum! :wink: )

Thanks!

Timekeep69

Most cheap snare drums don't have a snare bed. Take a look at the bearing edge under the snares, Is the edge a little lower than the rest of the bearing edge? If not, then there is no snare bed and that's why you're getting the buzz. Snare beds allow the snares to rest flat against the head.

xdoseonex

funny story, when i way really young. i found a vintage jazz festival snare in my basement. the bottom bearing edgs had these 2 crude dips in them right where the snare woud sit. being very young, i said (oh this snares all fucked up) and i SANDED the bottom bearing edge to try to smooth it, hahaha. I'll be taking it to my local drum shop sometime in the future to get both bearing edges re cut and my snare beds back.

anavrinIV

xdoseonex":29lgid93 said:
funny story, when i way really young. i found a vintage jazz festival snare in my basement. the bottom bearing edgs had these 2 crude dips in them right where the snare woud sit. being very young, i said (oh this snares all fucked up) and i SANDED the bottom bearing edge to try to smooth it, hahaha. I'll be taking it to my local drum shop sometime in the future to get both bearing edges re cut and my snare beds back.
send it to bill detamore of pork pie in california...it may be a little more expensive but he does his job to perfection and bearing edges is what he knows....thats how pork pie started, him just recutting bearing edges.

also make sure that your snares are the right way up. i put the snares back on a snare drum one time and had this same problem, but it was that the snares themselves were upside down on the drum.