EMAD question

drumshark

I wanted to know what the difference between the EMAD and the EAMD 2, or if their is much of a difference, because the only place i can find the EMAD 2 is on musiciansfriend. Also, theirs a few thing im ordering on amazon and wanted to know if they had the EMAD their and they do but they dont have the EMAD 2, only the regular one.

I looked at some pics on musiciansfriend, and this is what the emad2 looks like, and heres a link to the amazon page, it doesnt say 2 but it looks the same, what do you think.

http://www.drumsmylife.com/buy/evans-em ... tter-head/

http://www.amazon.com/Evans-Muffling-Sy ... 292&sr=1-6

drumshark

Found the difference, the regular one is 10 mil single ply, the second is 2 ply, in that case, the 2 ply would be better for getting that deep punchy sound right?

DRUMSMYWIFE

Other than the fact that that the EMAD two si 2-play and the regular EMAD is single ply, both of them do provide the necessary punch and volume and lots of oomph. The EMAD 2 is just more durable. I currently own the EMAD2 and did used the regular EMAD.

drumshark

Naomi McFadyen":1my6ce5i said:
I have the EMAD2 and it's splendid!! Great with the EQ3 with mic port hole... no dampening required... be amazed! I was!!
I have the eq3 with a port hole too, but ive got pretty cheap wood, so i migh need some dampening.

rufus4dagruv

My Gretsch Renown Maple kick came with the Emad 2 on it. I found that it choked the life out of the drum even when tuned very loose. I found that my drum sounded much better with a coated powerstroke 3, but that's not to say that the Emad doesn't have any practical use. If you like the sound of a muffled kick, this head would be a good choice. If not, I would say look elsewhere.

Naomi McFadyen

drumshark":2nm2q98i said:
Naomi McFadyen":2nm2q98i said:
I have the EMAD2 and it's splendid!! Great with the EQ3 with mic port hole... no dampening required... be amazed! I was!!
I have the eq3 with a port hole too, but ive got pretty cheap wood, so i migh need some dampening.
Worth experimenting then.... But you shouldnt need much, if any... Depends what sound you're after at the end of the day :)

I have the emad2 eq3 combo as well. I get the best tone out of it by actually tightening the batter more than the reso. It gives it an amazing booming sound.

TamaDude

I use an EMAD2 as well and love it. I only have an EQpad resting lightly against the front head, nothing on the batter. Great sound IMO.

Scrogs

The only problem I have with the EMAD is the dampening ring breaks after a month or two, then it starts buzzing.

McForman

that happened to mine! I hate it so much. Is there anything that could help to fix it without buying a new one? Because I'm strapped for cash and now I have a quarter of the dampening ring held on with some tape.

Cheerful-Bear

They are pretty much the same thing except the EMAD 2 is more durable than the EMAD since it is 2 ply. They also make the EMAD in clear or coated, but they make the EMAD 2 in clear only. I can't wait until they release a coated EMAD 2. I'll definately get that.

Scrogs

McForman":lyweqf3s said:
that happened to mine! I hate it so much. Is there anything that could help to fix it without buying a new one? Because I'm strapped for cash and now I have a quarter of the dampening ring held on with some tape.
I did the samething, I tried using gaffer tape, it just choked the life out of the drum. I stuck a new head on and placed tape on the ring every few inches or so, still
the same problem, the ring broke and the bass drum was over dampened. The ring on my bass drum now is broke (That makes 3 in 7 months), I'm gonna install
a new one in a week, I'm gonna try a layer of scotch tape and see if that helps. BTW, I think the EMAD was not ment for people who reverse their DW bass drum beaters.
I also tune to J.A.W. then about another half turn.

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS I LOVE THE SOUND OF THE DAMN HEAD, ITS JUST NOT VERY CHEAP TO REPLACE EVERY COUPLE OF FAKAN MONTHS!!! AARRRGGG.