Electric Drum kit and concert band!

devilspain

hey just need a few opinions. a friend who runs a concert band(mostly kids etc) has been offered an electric drum kit, she wants the drummer to be louder she asked my opinion on the matter.

i said to her, well to be honest electric drum kit wouldnt be that loud to project over the concert band unless your running it through a loud amp or PA. and that acoustically the acoustic drums the band alright has would be more than enough. i said id post it up on here to see if anyone else agrees that getting the elctric kit would be a waste of money!

also told her that her drummer needs to play more, for confidence to play louder. the more they practice the more confident they'll become and the louder they'll play.

anyone else agree or disagree?
cheers
kev.

SGarrett

I agree as well. She'll need a good p.a. to run that over a concert band. Brass is freaking loud.

Maybe look at how she has her current setup and tuned.

Alan_

yeah, an electronic drum kit wouldn't mix very well with an acoustic ensemble, and would require some serious amplification.

I would definetly say no to an electric kit. I have one and believe me hooked up to an amp it's great but I'm in a 6 piece wedding band, an e-kit isnt going to cut through an entire concert band ensemble.

devilspain

fair enough guys ta! i was negative about it from the start anyways about buying the electric kit. the current kit is tuned fine, i tuned it lol i the current kit player for the brass band is only like 13 and she isnt a hard hitter but shes a great drummer who picks things up easily just she needs a good boot up the arse or well someone there to boost her confidence tell her to play heavier more. what shes playing is grand!

ta guys.

SGarrett

Right on. Not so much negative as using the correct tool for the job. It's a perception thing. :)

If that's the case, look into an inexpensive mic' setup. You can spend a lot less than an electric kit and get more volume. I've been recommending OSP mic's that can be found on eBay. From there you just need cables, a few inexpensive stands, and a budget/used mixer to run to a small p.a. setup. It doesn't take too much to bring an acoustic kit up. :)