Effects Cymbals

Tomthedrummer

I have been thinking about buying a Zildjian Effects Cym....and i wanted to ask if any of you guys have effects cyms or at least know something about them, can give me some advice?

insultinjury

Well I haven't had many cymbals but IMO you cant go wrong with a good trashy china. I have a 18" Zildjian china that really adds a punch when i need it and is good for a grace-note type crash if you know what I mean... Anyway I am thinking about getting a splash type china soon.

screamkevin

Tomthedrummer":s9uft50l said:
I have been thinking about buying a Zildjian Effects Cym....and i wanted to ask if any of you guys have effects cyms or at least know something about them, can give me some advice?
It depends on what you want, man, you gotta be more specific. The most common FX cymbal is a china, and Zildjian makes several outstanding models (as does Saluda, gotta get that plug in there!) for you to check out. If you're looking for a purely trashy cymbal, check out their Oriental China Trash series, also the Crash Of Doom, designed by Dennis Chambers.

There are also bells (ice bell type of things, though they are not called that, the name of Zildjian's bell escapes me at the moment.) to look into, you can make stacks of chinese and regular cymbals, attach rattlers and rivets, anything you desire, really.

Use your imagination!

Susanboy

A list of effect cymbals, as far as I know:

China
Bels
Rivets
Sizzlers
stackers
Gongs
Chimes(I actually don't know what they are, just heard of them.

drummert2k

Susanboy":zdrf3n6s said:
big chimes

or wind chimes

there ya go.

broken, cracked cymbals stacked also sound pretty need. as does putting a small splash on your snare drum. you can hit beside the cymbals giving a technoish drum sound or hit the cymbal for a white noise like snare hit.

Flatliner

the "Big Chimes" are also known as "Tubular Bells", reminds me of Peart's old set up when he had them for the hemispheres days.

drummert2k

Flatliner":1fhxm5u3 said:
the "Big Chimes" are also known as "Tubular Bells", reminds me of Peart's old set up when he had them for the hemispheres days.
yes, peart did have these for a while. and i know "big chimes" isnt really the technical name. in the drum corps world we called them the "church bells" because there was a part in the one show that these things were going nuts and it sounded like a church thing

drummert2k":nvhtssik said:
Susanboy":nvhtssik said:
big chimes

or wind chimes

there ya go.

broken, cracked cymbals stacked also sound pretty need. as does putting a small splash on your snare drum. you can hit beside the cymbals giving a technoish drum sound or hit the cymbal for a white noise like snare hit.

anavrinIV

i like all kinds of effects percussion...splashes, chinas, bells, etc....

when i work up the money my local shop has a trio of cymbals im dying to get...

10" will calhoun alien disc
12" ice bell
9" radia cup chime (very sweet cymbal)

and i think i could get them all for about 300. it would definately add a different flavor. chinas, however, are my favorites. ive thought about replacing most of my crashes with chinas of different sounds and sizes...maybe one day ill be able to afford it.

vgarate

anavrinIV":mpvudzin said:

10" will calhoun alien disc
12" ice bell
9" radia cup chime (very sweet cymbal)
These are cymbals I wish too... I've just got the 7" Radia cup chime (very pleasing) and 7" & 9" MAX splashes (love 'em too).

But also love china kangs, MAX stax, mini chinas (HHX and AAX)... and so on... but they're very hard to find in here. Maybe, some day I'll special order 'em. :)