Edges not smooth..(LOCKED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuNoAnBuKi

Anybody else receive a Saluda cymbal with edges that arent smooth all the way around? Both of mine are that way .. Nemesis more so than the Diamond. I emailed Jamie about it over a week ago and havent heard anything back.

Thread locked. Topic was hijacked and went in a nasty direction.

SaludaCymbals

Did you get a response back yet?

If your edges are not smooth to your liking, please send them back. We try to smooth all edges out since lathing down near the edges can jag the edges or create a less smooth side than the other. We will gladly smooth them out more.

We can do a call tag as well. We can always be reached by phone if emails aren't going through.

Jamie

SuNoAnBuKi":eofcjmqo said:
Anybody else receive a Sauda cymbal with edges that arent smooth all the way around? Both of mine are that way .. Nemesis more so than the Diamond. I emailed Jamie about it over a week ago and havent heard anything back.

xdoseonex

Yes they shoould.

and WTF? how does jaime pop up within a few days when someone mentioned theyre edges arent smooth, but still manage to fly right by us asking him if his saludas are made from pre-owned and/or other companies finished cymbals?

metldrummer2112

xdoseonex":1obswane said:
Yes they shoould.

and WTF? how does jaime pop up within a few days when someone mentioned theyre edges arent smooth, but still manage to fly right by us asking him if his saludas are made from pre-owned and/or other companies finished cymbals?
Jee I don't know. Perhaps he's avoiding the question because we won't like the answer. It seems very convinient of him :roll:

SaludaCymbals

Sorry I haven't been on much. We moved back into our public facility and it is very time consuming. Cymbal production was overly high in the month of February and March so I don't get on the forums as much as I would like (not even our Saluda forum).

You are correct edges should be smooth all the time. Sometimes we lathe too much too close to the edge which requires more smoothing than normal. We should have smoothed them more.

I don't from any question. I have already announced all this information in this and/or other forums before. It just keeps popping up once or twice a year. First, don't believe everything you read. There are a lot of people out there that have been bashing Saluda for years. We have seen the same people doing it today that did it back in 2002 when we first started offering B20 bronze cymbals.

There are a few people that constantly bother Saluda about the term blanks, which we can't make at this time and neither do Meinl and Paiste (but we will never see people bothering them about it). We just customize the final product into the sound we think best fits.

We get most of our cymbals from one plant in China, some from Turkish plants and some from other locations around the world (we basically will buy just about anything if the price is right AND that we know we can craft the cymbal into the sound we know will sound good). We are a custom cymbal company so we can take any cymbal and customize it all day long. I think this is where people are snagged in understanding how Saluda is different and how we can create a solid product. We like to modify our cymbals to meet sound requirements from the individual. But we also modify existing customer’s cymbals from any name brand to adjust the cymbal.

All this adjusting and customizing has been a huge learning curve over the past 10 years (officially 10 but I have been customizing cymbals much longer). It is great to put this much time and effort into the final product to really figure out what techniques will do for the sound. It seems that there are almost an infinite number of lathing styles and each will adjust the sound. Some cymbals will see multiple lathing styles.

We do not like to work from raw blanks since this creates too much initial shock that takes to long for that part of the cymbal to settle. We used to do many of them from raw blanks but we can produce a better, faster outcome product working from a blank that was lathed weeks (or longer) ago.

Do we use Stagg cymbals as our blanks? We use the same factory to get our cymbals as Stagg and this is about as far as the relationship goes. We learned 2 years ago that we both get our cymbals from the same source. We aren't switching factories so the majority of Saludas will come from the same plant (I can't express how hard it was to find the ideal factory that would create our cymbals to our specifications). All the smaller Turkish companies know exactly what I am talking about. Our cymbals are not Staggs. Stagg is the name they have the factory put on their cymbals. A Saluda cymbal comes from that factory but we modify all cymbals into the Saluda sound. We have changed up a lot of our looks in the past months to better distance ourselves.

Back when Zildjian split in the late 70's, Sabian used all of the Zildjian machinery and all of the Zildjian workers (in the Canadian plant), but Sabian wasn't Zildjian. Sabian was Sabian. Sabian had their ideas, dreams and personality. Today I enjoy seeing all the differences between them. Zildjian is classic; they are wonderful for doing what they do! Sabian is a little more innovative, taking new strides to create a lot of new products. Their HHX line is pretty impressive as is many of their other series. However, Zildjian K Custom Hybrids are amazing and their Rezos are beautiful (I haven't heard these yet in person).

I am a very open minded person who likes cymbals. I have a passion for cymbals and I put that passion and my own personality into all cymbals I create and I try to make sure I find good, hard working, creative people to help me out.

Saluda's point is to offer low prices and to customize cymbals to meet sound requirements, but the main goal is to have great sounding, versatile cymbals. We enjoy this service and we think it is unique that we allow a custom to adjust the sound and the looks of many of our cymbal lines

Custom drum companies, even though they all use Keller as their wood foundry, are not all the same. They are not just finishing the wood and relabeling the Keller shell. Each has different ideas and they try to turn those ideas into unique products. I have seen some amazing looking kits from Spaun, Organic drums, Orange County, Pork Pie, Rockett, (kills me that I can't remember a few more of the really impressive ones) and many more.

I personally think you will see more cymbal companies, like Saluda popping up over the next 10 years.

I know we put our own personality and creativity into our cymbals to get a great sound and a great look. We have had some wild designs in the past that we just couldn't get to sound as good as we wanted and we had to dump those ideas, like the Mission Black and Green Goddess designs (sorry for those who were looking forward to these).

Yes, we are trying to create our own blanks and we have a lot of wild stuff coming out soon, but we are a long ways from making our own blanks and taking it all the way through to the final product. Yes we melt down the alloy (mostly from cymbal scrap and cymbal shavings) and test castings. We have a ways to go but we are learning a ton along the way. We have learned so much over the past 12 years of business (10 years officially) on how to modify cymbals that it is exciting to finally get into more of the foundry work.

Our casting project is called SC alloy. You will be hearing more about this in the months ahead.

I appreciate all those who have questions and have looked into our cymbals.

This site has been great to us and we greatly appreciate it. I hope you will all understand how Saluda works and can see our enjoyment for creating cymbals.

Jamie

Martin

I havent been following the topic of your company and blanks for as long as some on here, but the fact that you stood up and addressed the question at hand informatively and promptly makes me believe your a stand up guy and thats good enough for me lol.I would have no problem using them (if my Sabians ever let me down :wink: ).
Keep up the good work over there at Saluda and thx for the info

Alan_

correct: paiste and meinl get their blanks manufactured by outside sources.

incorrect: paiste and meinl get finished cymbals that they then tune.

paiste is VERY forthright about their process. their blanks are completely unfinished, though. this is where the debate over the term "blanks" started. To most, a blank signifies a flat disk of bronze, either with or without a formed bell.

from their website:

"We use finished raw materials (round, flat disks) from several specialized foundries and rolling mills. We select these suppliers due to their specialized and superior technical abilities and large scale of operations. It is simply not possible for the comparatively small casting and rolling volume requirements of a cymbal maker to achieve their level of consistency and quality."

There's folks who tune/customize cymbals that are very respected for their talents in this area. Some of the people who like your products, Jamie, are folks whose ears I trust.

Alan_

my main question: do saludas ever start out as a completely unfinished blank (disk of bronze with or without preformed bell), or does Saluda exclusively retune/customize already-formed cymbals? Understand that I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with exclusively customizing cymbals.

SaludaCymbals

Nobody ever stated that Paiste use finished blanks - and neither does Saluda. If we brought in a finished product than we would just have to label them. We spend a lot of time hammering and lathing the final product to adjust for the sound. We have a sound in mind (sometimes from the customers mind/descriptions) and we shoot for that sound. It takes us 1-3 weeks (sometimes longer as many will mention) to get the cymbal/sound correct. If we just relabeled, we would be shipping cymbals out immediately.

Jamie

SaludaCymbals

These days no. If we started from an unfinished blank, it would take too long to complete the cymbal and we wouldn't have the semi-fast custom ability. We used to work with already shaped raw cymbals, but we find it is easier to get the skin off and work from there. We have much more, quicker custom ability to adjust the sound.

Aren't Paiste's Twenty series and Meinl Byzances brought in almost complete? I know they are shaped for them, but I don't know if they bring them in with the raw skin on them or not. I would imagine not.

Jamie

Alan_":etgt41q3 said:
my main question: do saludas ever start out as a completely unfinished blank (disk of bronze with or without preformed bell), or does Saluda exclusively retune/customize already-formed cymbals? Understand that I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with exclusively customizing cymbals.

metldrummer2112

Ok a little bit more was explained here, but I have one final yes or no question, and all I want from you, Jamie, is a "yes" or a "no"

do you EVER take a cymbal that is already finished completely, like a Sabian or a Zildjian, and rehammer and relathe it to the customer's specifications and sell it as a Saluda?

IF you manage to give me a simple "yes" or "no", I will have regained all respect for your company. My only problem is that you always seem to take a question that could be answered in a simple few words and turn it into a pagelong novel.

So, yes? or no?

SuNoAnBuKi

Goddamn. Sorry Jamie - I didn't intend for this topic to be hijacked and turned into a personal attack on you.

metldrummer2112

SuNoAnBuKi":37m71t9o said:
Goddamn. Sorry Jamie - I didn't intend for this topic to be hijacked and turned into a personal attack on you.
Anytime I post on a Saluda thread it ends up a death wish. I don't know how it happens but it does. You seen the 8 page long epic against Saluda I posted a couple months ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.