Earplugs

LeJayk

I've just bought my first set of earplugs ever today after almost 2 years of drumming. You know the tree shaped ones ;)

I have to say, best invention for any sort of musician ever. Except maybe in-ear monitoring. But still. I cant believe how I ever got along without them, playing as hard and as noisy as I do. Now to get my mom a set so she doesn't keep yelling at me to, "Stop that f**king racket!"

Long live my hearing into old age. Hoorah! :lol:

thesoundbully39

Ear plugs are a necessity! As an audio-engineering major, let me tell you that even when listening to loud music, there are frequencies that YOU CAN'T EVEN HEAR! that will destroy your hearing. You can only hear tones that range betweeen 20 Hz and 2 KHz. But, tones STILL exist above and below that range. So even though you can't hear them, they are still killing your hearing. PROTECTION IS A MUST FOR EVERYBODY!

Just a little fun fact:

Did you know that people more commonly loose their hearing in the left ear? Why? Because of rolled down car windows! Next time you roll down your window, listen to how friggin' loud it is.

Cheers

Shalaq

Also search our forums for information about other hearing protection devices- headphones IEMs etc.
Earplugs are a must have. Always have a spare pair in your stick bag.

Jay Brearley

thesoundbully39":26743m4w said:
Ear plugs are a necessity! As an audio-engineering major, let me tell you that even when listening to loud music, there are frequencies that YOU CAN'T EVEN HEAR! that will destroy your hearing. You can only hear tones that range betweeen 20 Hz and 2 KHz. But, tones STILL exist above and below that range. So even though you can't hear them, they are still killing your hearing. PROTECTION IS A MUST FOR EVERYBODY!

Just a little fun fact:

Did you know that people more commonly loose their hearing in the left ear? Why? Because of rolled down car windows! Next time you roll down your window, listen to how friggin' loud it is.

Cheers
Sorry to correct you mate but the human hearing range is roughly between 20Hz to 20KHz (presumed your post was a typo error,) but everything else you said is spot on! ( By the way, Im a graduate in Creative Music & Sound Technology so its good to find other drummers that majored in the same subjects as me!)

thesoundbully39

Oops, typo sorry. Thanks for the correction. Yep, and even given that range, it's highly unlikely you can even hear the full extent of that (especially as an adult).

For sure bro, a toast to educated musability.

Ericinho6

Even those headphone like things that hunters use, and are used in shooting ranges work VERY well. Mainly when you're just home alone...you'd look kinda funny if you wore them at a show. :p

mudoyal

i remember when i first started using earplugs i hated them. i'd use them on and off. but i started getting concerned about eventually losing my hearing. so i forced myself to wear them, now i'm used to them and wouldn't have it any other way.

Qbs

I'm using KOSS Sparkplug headphones w/ earplugs and they're the best headphones I've ever had - they mute the noise so well that I can play with my Korg MA-30 metronome without any amplification and they're great on gigs - instead of a regular monitor I just plug'em into a small mixer and have a sort of in-ear monitors ;)

rto254425

I started wearing earplugs when i played years ago. it took a week long ringing in my ears to start. i started with the mack's silicon ear plugs. rating on those was 22. they were good, i mostly wanted to get rid of the guitar solo highs. I stopped playing for a few years, and when i got back i was using those industrial foam ear plugs with the rating of 29-32. they were ok, but can get un comfortable over long periods of time.

As i was looking into getting some custom made ear plugs i found this website.

http://www.earplugsonline.com/

they make the silicon ear plugs but the rating is 34. the highest i've found. they are the most comfortable ear plugs i've used. i bought a family pack so i have many pairs. but these are re-usable. i usually switch them out every month. granted i have maybe 6-8 practices in a month with two bands.

Just wanted to put that out there.

Have fun, bangin on the drum.

Ruben

blackreign

Heh... love the comment about your mom yelling at you...

my mom does the same thing...

so does my brother... but thats because he sleeps all friggen day...

I use noise cancelling headphones, they work soo well because not only can I listen to myself drumming (they block alot of noise out) but, I can also listen to music at a low volume while drumming to them...

I always use ear protection, its a must for any drummer, especially if you start producing your bands music! hearing is something we all take for granted, ask anyone who has hearing loss in one ear... or both ears, they will tell you it sucks...

Do yourselves a favor, turn your music players down to 50% the volume as well just playing music and wearing protection is a start, you can still lose your hearing from many other things, start wearing hearing protection while playing music (guitarists, bassists, singers, im looking at you too!) its for your own good. and if you work around heavy machinary (like I do) wear ear plugs at all times, you won't regret it.

Glad you started using hearing protection... alot of people (in my city) think its "uncool" to protect your hearing, but I think most of them are just stupid...

scrubs

blackreign":xqkrww9u said:
alot of people (in my city) think its "uncool" to protect your hearing, but I think most of them are just stupid...
Wrong. They're all stupid.

racefan33

We all should be wearing earplugs and you need to be careful of what ones you use. I was using some that didn't cut enough and my ears got worse.

It's to the point where I can't hear highs like a watch alarm and it's difficult in rooms where there's lots of talking (like gigs).

I would recommend seeing an audiologist and getting custom earplugs made with interchangable filters. The filters come in 9, 15 or 25 decible filters. Drummers should use the 25. They cut the sound at an even cut accross that spectrum so I can still hear the guys talk but I know I'm still getting protection. They're great to wear at concerts also because the cut all the rebounding of the sound and I can hear the band crystal clear.

If you're planning on playing the drums for a while the are the best thing you can ever get.

Piddywiffle

I just ganked a few handfuls of 32s from work. They work nice.

HOWEVER, I would like to get my hands on a good set. Something I can wear and AND feed guitars/vox thru without blowing my ears into bits. If any of you got info or links on stuff like that then hit me up at piddywiffle@yahoo.com or just leave another comment... And try to keep em under $200ish. I'M NOT MADE OF GOLD :shock:

drumbeast420

All new drummers should pay attention to this post! I played for 10 years (most of those in a small room) with headphones blaring and no ear plugs! It takes a little getting use to, but you really really must wear some kind of ear protection. I am 34 and have lost 40% of my hearing. I cannot play any more without them. Once you loose it, you will never get it back. Forget about looking cool and do yourself a favor by wearing something. Oh, and in ear monitors are great so long as you don't crank them up!!!! :)

phil-drummer

ever since i was warned about tinnitus ive been more enthusiastic with my ear protection and rarely play without them now , usually only taking them out to tune.

mattdoesrock

Plugs are a must!

As well as protecting your hearing both now, and in the future...they also make you appriciate the sound of your drums if / when you next play without em in!