Early Signs of Carpal Tunnel?

atomheartmuther

Hey, has anyone dealt or been dealing with carpal tunnel as a result of drumming? Just recently I've noticed my index and middle fingers in my right hand going numb shortly after I begin playing. I've also noticed that they are stiff and it's become harder to make a fist with those fingers as well. I work at UPS and I load heavy boxes all night long and since then I've noticed this problem arising. I'm almost positive it's early stages of carpal tunnel which sucks because I'm young and my drumming career has a lot more mileage left to go. It's extremely irritating and I was just wondering if anyone has these symptoms or has carpal tunnel in general and could give me some tips on managing it. thanks.

jwoo10

I've been playing for almost 40 years and have had NO problems til a few months ago.. I felt a strange numbness come over my forarms and a tingling in my fingers and wrists. I don't play with bad technique or this problem would have certainly cropped up before now.

I haven't seeked treatment for it yet.. but will post here again when I do... and let ya know whats up.

atomheartmuther

hey thanks for the quick reply! JIm and Dom are amazing! I saw those cyber videos a while back and am well aware of my technique. Again, I think it's work related problems and was wondering how one manages the problem.

demonicAngel

yup, well il use the moeller for very fast blast beats, people use the techniques there confirtable with, or the ones they just feel like using at the time. be careful on the amount of hours you spend on practicing too, because you know, your working out muscles...

jwoo10":2io9cqcd said:
I've been playing for almost 40 years and have had NO problems til a few months ago.. I felt a strange numbness come over my forarms and a tingling in my fingers and wrists. I don't play with bad technique or this problem would have certainly cropped up before now.

I haven't seeked treatment for it yet.. but will post here again when I do... and let ya know whats up.
im sorry to hear... dont kill me or anything like that, but even Jeff Queen spoke about getting "Old Man Hands", and it hindering his ability to play. Not to say your too old, because your not ... this is a very sensative subject! and im sorry. Gene kruppa got it too, that's why buddy rich slowed down and let Gene beat him, because Buddy had too much respect for Gene.

alex.

jwoo10

Yeppers I'm well aware of the aging thing. I do have the normal aches and paind that accompany arthiritis in my hands and shoulders... but this isn't related to that... (at least I don't think).... I do know that If I don't get some help with it..... It will most likely get worse.

I sometimes epend 14-15 hours per day in my recording studio.. *(on my off days from work).. and have for the past 5 years... and this numbness and tingling crap has NEVER happened before a coupla months ago...

That,,,,, along with the gig's I play in 3 local bands and hosting a Sunday night Jam at a local area bar.... (which I only started doing a few months ago).... May be the reasons. Perhaps I'm over extending myself... I DO play rather hard.... depending on the song. :roll:

I can tell you this..... AGE SUCKS!

first and most urgent GET A DOCTOR DUDE!!!..

2nd, It might only be a matter of tired muscles,,,you should get the way to relax them in order not to fatigate them.

3rd. Extra general excercise (body) might help you in your UPS work and druming time.

4rd. some times that kind of problems are only lack of some minerals or vitamins,,dont worry too mach but be carefull!!!.

5ve GOOD LUCK!, POSTA BACK WITH THE DOCTORS ANSWER AND STUFF.

The Kid

Go see a doctor.
I had a problem similar to that not too long ago. My hand and arm began to go numb after playing for about 5 minutes. One morning I woke up and my hand and lower arm were numb. After a couple hours, it was still numb and I freaked out and went to the doctor. The doctor pushed and pulled on my arm to test for carpal tunnel,but in the end he was puzzled because I guess my arm/hand didn't hurt where carpal tunnel is suppose to hurt. He ended up suggesting I see a "nerve doctor." But I didn't.

After talking to some other drummers about my problem, one suggested bad technique (maybe I wasn't hitting properly/holding sticks correctly), and maybe the numbness was from the shock I was absorbing with each hit. They suggested wearing a wrist support to help absorb some of the shock. So I bought a velcro wrist band. I play with it on, and I don't have any numbness anymore. Plus my drum teacher and I are working on me having better technique.
So, go see a doctor, and try a wrist support, I got the one by Nexcare.
And stretch before you start playing.