dw's, ocdp etc

Gazdkw82§

why do alot of people seem to think these kits aint no good? iv never actually played an orange county but one of my fav drummers thomas noonan from 36 crazy fists uses one and it sounds great live and on cd.

as for the dw i own one and i loved it. i will admit iv had trouble getting the sound i want from the kit, the only way iv achieved this is through alot of skin combinations and tuning, but now it sounds so pure and big!

why the negative feedback on these kits?

Rockaflodge

Now this is my OPINION!!! so nobody go nuts because of I say! with all do respect to ocdp, and dw's but if I am going to pay $5000 for a drum kit, i dont want to speend another $500 on trying deffent heads. I mean we all have a drum head we thing is better than the rest, but if I pay $5000 for a kit...it should not matter what kind of head is on it. They should sound fucking great with the factory heads on it. in my opinion if it does sound good with the factory heads on it, that should give you a cule for what you are geting your self into. BUT thats my OPINION!!!

percussionmafia

Drums are drums any way ya look at it what a drum is supposed to sound like to the builder and what it's suposed to sound like to you could be night and day. thats why when you buy a custom kit you really need to be vocal about what you want to hear when you hit it while talking to the company. I like a fairly open tone on a drum but I'm not a fan of it resonating for days so I have edges that are different cuts than standard. OCDP puts out good kits but I do feel they have been slacking on sound and going more for looks and I love DW all around. Generaly speaking and I hope no offense is taken here by anyone but usually the people who complain the most are the ones who want one and can't have it.

zen_drummer

Gazdkw82§":3b733uev said:
why do alot of people seem to think these kits aint no good?

as for the dw i own one and i loved it. i will admit iv had trouble getting the sound i want from the kit, the only way iv achieved this is through alot of skin combinations and tuning
You answered your own question...

Why pay the big bucks only to have them sound bad until you find the exact tweak that makes them playable?

For my taste, the DW drums are way too hard to tune for a high-end kit. OCDP seem way too overpriced to me, for what really amounts to a keller kit with a really pretty finish.

If you want a fantastic finish buy a keller kit from a cheaper maker that uses the same shells and ship 'em off to a custom car painter and you'll get a REAL custom drum kit with the finish of your dreams, and probably save a bundle.

Scott_Hurford

zen_drummer":2731ngc1 said:
Gazdkw82§":2731ngc1 said:
why do alot of people seem to think these kits aint no good?

as for the dw i own one and i loved it. i will admit iv had trouble getting the sound i want from the kit, the only way iv achieved this is through alot of skin combinations and tuning
You answered your own question...

Why pay the big bucks only to have them sound bad until you find the exact tweak that makes them playable?

For my taste, the DW drums are way too hard to tune for a high-end kit. OCDP seem way too overpriced to me, for what really amounts to a keller kit with a really pretty finish.

If you want a fantastic finish buy a keller kit from a cheaper maker that uses the same shells and ship 'em off to a custom car painter and you'll get a REAL custom drum kit with the finish of your dreams, and probably save a bundle.
I totally agree with you there, OCDP are WAY too over-priced, And DW isn't really worth all the hardship of tuning to get the sound you want. Most DW kits i've played are no better than any Tama or Pearl low end modals such as the export and superstar modals.

Gazdkw82§

well why do dw and ocdp have such a good name? i original paid my deposit for a tama starclassic custom sizes but tama pissed be about and 7 months later i still never had the kit so the shop suggested another kit and straight away where praising dw, and how good shells they are.

if they are bad sounding why are they used by professional players surely they would'nt play bad sounding drums

Scott_Hurford

Gazdkw82§":2cpw35b4 said:
well why do dw and ocdp have such a good name? i original paid my deposit for a tama starclassic custom sizes but tama pissed be about and 7 months later i still never had the kit so the shop suggested another kit and straight away where praising dw, and how good shells they are.

if they are bad sounding why are they used by professional players surely they would'nt play bad sounding drums
no-one said either of them sounded bad, their just harder to tune than other drum companies, the professionals have people to tune their drums for them which makes it alot easier

zen_drummer

Gazdkw82§":1e5ll594 said:
well why do dw and ocdp have such a good name?
For the same reason that Yamaha had such a good name in the 80's and early 90's, Ludwig in the 60's and 70's and Slingerland in the 40's and 50's... EXPOSURE

There was a time when turning on the TV after 11:30 PM produced a great view of a Yamaha drum kit... EVERY LATE NIGHT TALK SHOW had Yamaha Drums on the riser. (once johnny carson was gone)

Was this because Yamaha made great drums? Not at all... this was because Yamaha's product placement team did their job and did it well.

Ludwig became huge in an INSTANT when Ringo was seen playing them. Before that it was Krupa and Buddy Rich on Slingerlands... It's a story that is nearly as old as popular music...

Now, you may have read some place that endorsers don't get paid to play a certain brand of drum. That should be MOST don't get paid. Bozzio, Tommy Lee, Steve Smith and Anton Fig have all had paid endorsement deals that I know about. The payment is in the form of "Fees for Clinics". I know of one drum manufacturer that was approached by Tommy Lee's "people" about a deal, and the fee expected was outrageous!

So the big companies can say "We don't pay anybody to play our drums" and they are not fibbing... they pay them to give clinics. They get paid appearance fees, and they get paid to be in advertisements on occasion. But no... nobody is actually paying them to PLAY the drums... that would be wrong.... (har har har)

When a Big Shot player is seen playing DW, guess what happens? All of the kids that idolize that player want to be just like them, and if DW is good enough for Tommy Lee and Terry Bozzio, then it's good enough for ME.

Until you get your production line kit that sounds awful and is a pain in the butt to tune. What a drag!

Dale

Gazdkw82§":3v8vnst5 said:
why do alot of people seem to think these kits aint no good? iv never actually played an orange county but one of my fav drummers thomas noonan from 36 crazy fists uses one and it sounds great live and on cd.

as for the dw i own one and i loved it. i will admit iv had trouble getting the sound i want from the kit, the only way iv achieved this is through alot of skin combinations and tuning, but now it sounds so pure and big!

I agree with Zen Drummer. ocdp seem okay (I've only ever seen one) but they are just standard Keller shells. Nothing wrong with that of course. But the cost seems to me to be out of step for what one actually gets.

I have only ever heard one DW drum that I liked. It's possibly a personal taste issue more than anything else. If they are, as said, hard to tune, it seems to me they are falling behind other modern manufacturers. Most modern high level kits I've seen are easy to tune because the manufacturing is of a high quality. I don't see why DW should be so hard to tune if the quality is so high. I also think they are way over priced.

Of course I don't have issues with these drums. If I don't like something I simply wont buy it.

Gazdkw82§

well as i said at the time i was prob 60% pushed into buying it. if i could go back id prob buy a sonor delite or designer, anyone heard them

zen_drummer

Gazdkw82§":1447cfiv said:
well as i said at the time i was prob 60% pushed into buying it. if i could go back id prob buy a sonor delite or designer, anyone heard them
Sonor makes some GREAT drums! Personally, I like my TRICK kit, but you really can't go wrong with an upper-end Sonor kit.

Daneman

It's not that DW or Orange County aren't good. The question is whether or not they are that much better than any other drum manufacturer to warrant the fact that they charge significantly higher for their products.

Personally, I think DW is OK- nothing special, but OK.

Orange County is basically the same as every other custom manufacturer who uses Keller shells (which is just about all of them). Really, the only reason they have a name is because their location led them to signing some up and coming popular musicians (Barker, etc), which helped them increase their marketing budget and create a buzz for themselves.

While they can do some pretty outlandish drum finishes, Orange County drums sound no different at all than any other Keller based custom company- and isn't sound what's most important? And yet they charge three times as much as other companies.....

DaveDWdrums

When it comes down to it, there are very few true custom drum companies. The vast majority of them all purchase the shells from the same manufacturer i.e. Keller.

There is no doubt that OCDP pulls out some crazy configurations, and just as long as you got the $, they will pretty much work with you to do anything your mind could come up with when the other guys give you a no way. Just read their motto, "Our only limitation is your imagination".

A few of the companies that I can think of at the moment that use their own custom shells are DW and Pearl. If your looking for a great sounding kit, you can't go wrong with either of them (just as long as we're talking about the high end stuff here. )

Happy Drumming!
Dave

Dale

Sonor, Tama, Yamaha, Brady, Ludwig, Sleishman and a few others still make their own high end drums.

zen_drummer

DaveDWdrums":17w3cacl said:
A few of the companies that I can think of at the moment that use their own custom shells are DW and Pearl. If your looking for a great sounding kit, you can't go wrong with either of them (just as long as we're talking about the high end stuff here. )
This is right off of the Keller Website:

the keller website":17w3cacl said:
“Keller’s flexibility, responsiveness, and attention to detail enabled us to build exceptional drums that met our high standards as well as those of our customers. Without Keller shells, we never would have achieved our solid position in the U.S. market.”

Walt Johnston
Former President, Pearl International
Here's the link to see for yourself: http://www.kelleratthecore.com/customer ... stimonials

Dave, how come you haven't answered the private message I sent you?

PatternsInTheIvy

I own a sonor Kit and its a love/hate relationship. I got it for 800 USD and its the best kit i've ever heard for so cheap, but the bass drum frustrates me sometimes. All in all, it's quite awesome.

Back on the subject, I have tried numerious DW's and only one OCDP kit, and with there factory heads they both sounded decent. I have tried many Sonor, Mapex, and even a few Pearls, and all of them sounded much better than the OCDP and DW kits with the factory heads.

All in all, im sure you good get a good sound with OCDP and DW, its just not worth the time, and unless you luck out, money.

Rockaflodge

zen_drummer said:
DaveDWdrums said:
This is right off of the Keller Website:

the keller website said:
“Keller’s flexibility, responsiveness, and attention to detail enabled us to build exceptional drums that met our high standards as well as those of our customers. Without Keller shells, we never would have achieved our solid position in the U.S. market.”

Walt Johnston
Former President, Pearl International
Here's the link to see for yourself: http://www.kelleratthecore.com/customer ... stimonials

Dave, how come you haven't answered the private message I sent you?

TWO WORDS....OLD SCHOOL!!!!

Years ago pearl used Keller shells, but not anymore! Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think pearl has been making there own shells now for like ten years, maybe longer than that. But ever since they started making master's and masterworks they have only used there shells.

zen_drummer

Rockaflodge":1u7an6ue said:
Years ago pearl used Keller shells, but not anymore! Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think pearl has been making there own shells now for like ten years, maybe longer than that. But ever since they started making master's and masterworks they have only used there shells.
Are you 100% certain that Pearl doesn't have the masters and masterworks shells made for them by Keller to Pearls custom specifications?