DW?

deluxe74

I'm looking to invest in a quality rock kit that will last a long time. (looking for the $2,000 range, not too much higher) I'm looking for a rock kit with two floor toms (kind of like a Chad Smith set up). I've been looking at DWs and playing them a bit, just wondering what other people's experiences with them are, or what rock kit works great for them.

anavrinIV

youll be hard pressed to find a dw set in your specs for 2 grand...look at po boy custom drums and talk to m about them because theyre priced in your range and, from what i hear, make top quality drums. some people will tell you that dws are the best of the best and that anyone who thinks otherwise is just jealous but its all in what you like i dont see anything special about dws. also look at ddrum dominion dorian maple kits...13, 14, 16 toms, 24 bass, and its only just over $1000.

Spydr2000

The only thing special about DW is the name. Buy something highend by pearl their drums sound amazing unlike the DW's which need hrs of attention and tuning to even get a good sound.

I'm using ddrum dominions which do not cost alot and I've owned both DW and pearl masters so check these drums out you'll be able to buy 2 kits for the amount you want to spend, thats what I did. I have a kit for at home and a kit for band practice and gigging. And I'm overly impressed with the quality of these drums plus the price tag on them.

Rob the Drummer

Spydr2000":3u6i4f0c said:
The only thing special about DW is the name. Buy something highend by pearl their drums sound amazing unlike the DW's which need hrs of attention and tuning to even get a good sound.
That's a bullshit statement. DW's are awesome drums, if they sucked, they wouldn't sell for the prices they sell for. I've been nothing but happy with my DW's! Most of the time, I don't have to tune them that much at all. You can pretty much throw a head on and they will sound good! Lots of resonance and the drums sing! You can't go wrong with DW's.

deluxe74

Thanks alot for the advice guys, I was actually at the Guitar Center just trying out some sets today, and I really liked the DWs, but I actually liked some Yamahas that I played as well.

drummert2k

DW's are great but there are other companies out there whos drums sounds and look as great with about half the price tag. you'll be lucky to find a decent used kit for under 2 grand. as someone who has played many many kits of all brands and levels (including DW) and who also builds kits, i can tell you they are great drums but but the name on the kit is what brings the price. they're still there with higher end pearls, ludwigs, C&C, Precision, Yamaha, Maryland, and so on. they have a great artist roster and great reputation and that effects the price tag a lot.

and yeah, they make their own shells. but so does pearl and other companies. and the ones who dont most likely buy from keller which are great top of the line shells.

DW's are in the same boat as OCDP to me. great drums, just way over priced.

SmellsLikeIan

just go to AMDrumparts.com and design your own drumset. You can have them wrap it for you or finish them yourself. Make a truly custom set. ANd a kit like the one you described will be under $1500. Probably about $1250.

And Sarcasm, why don't you just add a link to those pics of the beautiful kits you designed with AMD to your sig so people can check them out when this topic comes up?

Steaky

My DW's came thundering straight out of the box. Never had a problem with them, definatly a great rock sound for you. I use mine in the studio regularly and get no problems finding sounds, and live they just kik ass.
It depends on what you need them for. If your planning on playing them at home I would'nt really bother. If your a weekender then you can't go wrong with a Yammy maple kit. They also make a cracking Oak kit.
You could go for a second hand DW. Black badged kits from the 90's are a paticular vintage for DW. They used keller shells, and if you find a good one to your spec, it should of started that peachy ageing process. But remember DW is a custom drum, and they do all sound slightly different depending on who ordered them in the first place.
I need and depend upon my D-Dubs as I earn my living from playing.
Hope that kinda helped

Spydr2000

Rob the Drummer":qfguebha said:
Spydr2000":qfguebha said:
That's a bullshit statement. DW's are awesome drums, if they sucked, they wouldn't sell for the prices they sell for. I've been nothing but happy with my DW's! Most of the time, I don't have to tune them that much at all. You can pretty much throw a head on and they will sound good! Lots of resonance and the drums sing! You can't go wrong with DW's.
I don't want to argue but that is my true statement. I owned a DW kit and it didn't even compare to any of my pearl kits both master series and session series. And since I got back into drumming from taking a break from it, I discovered ddrum kits without the high price which are just as nice.

A few things about the DW kit, like you said they do stay in tune, but the kick drum was very weak and I had a 24" drum. The finish started to come off after a week of having them which DW replaced the whole kit. They are hard to get parts for and the heads on them are crap for a drum of that price. But this is my opinion. I played the kit for years and why? just because of the name on it and other artist using them, it had nothing to do with the sound.

m

I think DW's are nice; we've got a set in the studio and recorded our first album on them. At one point, the wrap did give us some problems with seperating, and DW had to rework the kit. But it sounds nice. Our only problems with it have been cosmetic.
However, I believe (and have experienced) that there are plenty of brands out there that sound just as good these days.

As my friend mentioned above, I'm working w/ Po Boy drums lately, and I'm using these on our new album, instead of the DWs. The prices they offer are surprisingly low for the quality of gear. I'm really impressed with what this company is doing. Some have called them the 'new DW;'
I try to stay away from hyperbole myself- I think they should be judged on their own merit. But I highly recommend them; Tony is great to work with, I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss a custom commission.

You can also browse their work at their Myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/poboydrums

skitch

Spydr2000":ln5sh4hn said:
Rob the Drummer":ln5sh4hn said:
Spydr2000":ln5sh4hn said:
I don't want to argue but that is my true statement. I owned a DW kit and it didn't even compare to any of my pearl kits both master series and session series. And since I got back into drumming from taking a break from it, I discovered ddrum kits without the high price which are just as nice.

A few things about the DW kit, like you said they do stay in tune, but the kick drum was very weak and I had a 24" drum. The finish started to come off after a week of having them which DW replaced the whole kit. They are hard to get parts for and the heads on them are crap for a drum of that price. But this is my opinion. I played the kit for years and why? just because of the name on it and other artist using them, it had nothing to do with the sound.

Spydr2000,

I doubt that you ever owned a DW kit; you sound too much like one of those DW-haters! DWs are easy to get parts for; I have never had a problem! Maybe you should stay out of Guitar Center! check with interstate music,

www.interstatemusic.com

They don't seem to have any problems getting DW parts. As for the price tag, yeah DW drums are expensive but they aren't made by cheap labor overseas in Taiwan. So, if Pearl of Ddrums are made for $100 a set and are sold for $1,500, does this make those brands a rip-off?

I have been playing DWs for five years and like any other brand of drum, they are going to show signs of wear if you are using them.

Rob the Drummer

Spydr, I didn't mean to come off like a dick. I've had no problems tuning my kit and they sound great no matter what heads I throw on them. It's too bad you had problems with yours. By the way, mine are not wrapped, so I had no problems with the shells.

Spydr2000

skitch":22rpjofc said:
I doubt that you ever owned a DW kit; you sound too much like one of those DW-haters! DWs are easy to get parts for; I have never had a problem! Maybe you should stay out of Guitar Center! check with interstate music,

www.interstatemusic.com

They don't seem to have any problems getting DW parts. As for the price tag, yeah DW drums are expensive but they aren't made by cheap labor overseas in Taiwan. So, if Pearl of Ddrums are made for $100 a set and are sold for $1,500, does this make those brands a rip-off?

I have been playing DWs for five years and like any other brand of drum, they are going to show signs of wear if you are using them.

[/size]
here's me and my DW kit!!!

Rob the Drummer

Spydr2000":2ulqn5wa said:
skitch":2ulqn5wa said:

www.interstatemusic.com

[/size]
Harpo is a familiar name, where you from?

drummert2k

Spydr2000":29jes2l7 said:
skitch":29jes2l7 said:

www.interstatemusic.com

[/size]
Harpo! no way! hometown hero right here. awesome! everythime my band comes up around my dad he always has to throw in "you should open for Harpo". he about popped a chubber last weekend because he got to come see us play with Jesse.

Spydr2000

Rob the Drummer":2ixjoqmr said:
Spydr2000":2ixjoqmr said:
skitch":2ixjoqmr said:

www.interstatemusic.com

[/size]
Harpo is a familiar name, where you from?
Rob, I noticed your from PA thats why it's fimiliar to you. Harpo was probably the biggest unsigned hard rock band in PA. The band was around for 30+ years and looked at by many record lables but no luck.

Steaky

A few things about the DW kit, like you said they do stay in tune, but the kick drum was very weak and I had a 24" drum.

My DW kiks are massive!!! I've got 20",22" and 24" and they are all great! I can also bend all sorts of tones out of the toms through tuning (which I'm finding real easy!) The thing is though - is that loads of drummers seem to love those reference kits, I had a kit and mine was total crap. Specially the kik drums, as you said in the quote above I say exactly the same for those Pearls. Even the people I was working with noticed it. I don't think Pearl is rubbish, I just think they have designed a Lemon. But maybe the next kit out of the factory was amazing? Who knows, but anyway I DON'T play DW cause of Tommy Lee, I play em cause they inspire me and I can get the feel and tone from them that I hear in my head. I don't think I'm naive in anyway for making that choice.
Cheers Drive!