DW vs. Pearl Reference... help.

shootthedrummer

I dont know what to do. I have a 1974 Ludwig set that parallels John Bonhams kit. same sizes plus an extra rack tom, no vistalite. anyways, i dont know what to buy between the 2, DW or PEARL. I cant sell my kit becasue of sentimental value, but what should i do? the 26'' bass drum is cool, but the thunder toms are not practible. and hard to play around the kick.
what would you buy?
what sites online are good for buying these kits?

thanks.

matt.
pics of my kit are at
www.myspace.com/killinthedrummer

anavrinIV

i personally would buy a pearl reference kit over anything ive ever tried. dws cant hold a torch to the reference series. ive only played one dw drum that ive ever been impressed with, and it didnt sound half as good as the pearl session custom drums with stock heads nest to it. dws are overpriced for the very little that they deliver. ive been in love with pearl reference drums since i first played them and theres no way id put down for a dw kit when such a better sounding drum kit costs less.

CamGeorgetownON

get dw man, these guys like pearl cause its easy for them to sound good on it, the craftsmanship is half the effort dw puts into a drum, PEARL IS A HIGH SCHOOL MUSIC CLASS KIT, OR SOME DOUCHBAGS FIRST KIT THAT HIS GRANDMA BOUGHT HIM, if i sat next to you on a dw kit, and you on a pearl, you'd hate me... dont you want people to hate you cause your drums sound amazing? its nice.. Pearl impresses nobody, and not nearly as creatively versitile.. i can put any drum anywhere on my kit, like up aboive me, under , sideways, down, back, forth, whatever the ********* i want
IM AN ***HOLE BUT TRUST ME, DW KILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU WONT REGRET IT..

post edited-------> loop

CamGeorgetownON

anavrinIV":niji8s7s said:
i personally would buy a pearl reference kit over anything ive ever tried. dws cant hold a torch to the reference series. ive only played one dw drum that ive ever been impressed with, and it didnt sound half as good as the pearl session custom drums with stock heads nest to it. dws are overpriced for the very little that they deliver. ive been in love with pearl reference drums since i first played them and theres no way id put down for a dw kit when such a better sounding drum kit costs less.
PEOPLE WHO PLAY PEARL WRITE IN PINK

Scott_Hurford

CamGeorgetownON":faj86zhh said:
i dont get you guys.. dw will own your faces, my dw drums will fuck your reference series' moms in the ass, and sound amazing while doing it...
get dw man, these guys like pearl cause its easy for them to sound good on it, the craftsmanship is half the effort dw puts into a drum, PEARL IS A HIGH SCHOOL MUSIC CLASS KIT, OR SOME DOUCHBAGS FIRST KIT THAT HIS GRANDMA BOUGHT HIM, if i sat next to you on a dw kit, and you on a pearl, you'd hate me... dont you want people to hate you cause your drums sound amazing? its nice.. Pearl impresses nobody, and not nearly as creatively versitile.. i can put any drum anywhere on my kit, like up aboive me, under , sideways, down, back, forth, whatever the motherfuck i want
IM AN ASSHOLE BUT TRUST ME, DW KILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU WONT REGRET IT..
Mind your language please, we dont want that sort of talk here.

Pearl Masters and Reference are some of the nicest sounding drums i've ever heard, even their low end kits sound brilliant for their price.
i'm not against DW drums, i like them but i think they are way to overrated and over-priced.
Pearl would be the best choice here in my opinion, cheaper and just as good in quality, if not better.

As for websites, i use 'DrumlandUK', 'Drumwright', 'rock factory' & 'Birmingham drum centre' amoung a few other.
try typing them into a search engine, i'm not in my house now so i dont have the links sorry.

Good Luck buying your new kit :wink:

~Scott~

anavrinIV

CamGeorgetownON":12694rbm said:
anavrinIV":12694rbm said:
PEOPLE WHO PLAY PEARL WRITE IN PINK
i dont play pearl, i play tama. i want a pearl reference kit because they sound amazing. thank you for pointing out that i type in pink, too, because i had no idea that what color i typed in affected the drums i play.

now do i like sonors because i type in blue?

or tama now that its red?

maybe i should point out that people who play dw type in all caps because their drums dont stand out and they feel the need to. but i wouldnt point out something like that...

christ, dude, if you dont have constructive criticism then dont say anything. youre just taking up server space.

mattdoesrock

Agreed - Pearl are far, far superior to DW.

Like anavrinIV said "dws are overpriced for the very little that they deliver." In one of my Drummer mags, i saw a single DW 8" tom for nearly 400 Pounds ($800)!!! You can buy whole kits for that! I bought my truely outstanding 6 piece Pearl Export kit for 600 Pounds ($1,200). The cheapest DW kit I've seen was for around 800 Pounds ($1,600) - Not easily affordable by most people :\

So basically Pearl far out plays anything from DW. In response to what CamGeorgetownON said - "PEARL IS A HIGH SCHOOL MUSIC CLASS KIT, OR SOME DOUCHBAGS FIRST KIT THAT HIS GRANDMA BOUGHT HIM" Oh dear... Does Chad Smith, Joey Jordison, Mike Wengren, Daniel Adair, Adrian Erlandsson, Gene Hoglan, Dave McClain, Eric Singer, Omar Hakim sound like they play a "high school music class kit"? No i dont think so. They are all amazing players, who suprise suprise - all play Pearl.

Buy a Pearl Kit - You wont forget it, they sound amazing, and are at least half the price of any DW kits.

P.S. Why can't you write a Pound sign? it just comes up with £

"In response to what CamGeorgetownON said - "PEARL IS A HIGH SCHOOL MUSIC CLASS KIT, OR SOME DOUCHBAGS FIRST KIT THAT HIS GRANDMA BOUGHT HIM" Oh dear... Does Chad Smith, Joey Jordison, Mike Wengren, Daniel Adair, Adrian Erlandsson, Gene Hoglan, Dave McClain, Eric Singer, Omar Hakim sound like they play a "high school music class kit"? No i dont think so. They are all amazing players, who suprise suprise - all play Pearl."

but terry bozzio and neil peart and many other legends play dw........ the legends seem to play dw....... anyways yeh i love dw kits in im not a big fan on pearl kits i played one about 3 hours ago now n it was a bit rubbish. thing is dw is over priced n takes the piss, but pearls look average and bland n the mounting system is rubbish too....... i think this is one of those situations where you finally have the money for something you always dreamed of having but something came along last second and is now making things very confusing for you. my advice is go for the one you have been drooling over the longest, which ever one it is. dont let this new thing get in the way i do that all the time n always regret not just getting the thing i wanted from the start. theres pros and cons to everything so i recomend you choose that way. let us all know what you got.

lifehabit

I would go with the Pearl Reference for sure. hands down. I like D.W. They make the best hardware..but the drums are a bit over priced. If you look around for other custom companys, you'll find that D.W. is over priced. They to do top notch drum work, and they sound amazing. I want a D.W. But if I could choose the Pearl Reference or a D.W. kit...I would go with Pearl. The dude who said that Pearl was a high school band company needs to think a little harder. Pearl makes top notch drums..just like D.W., but don't knock on Pearl like that. Thats kinda Immature.
TIPS:
Try different heads on different drums. I don't play the same heads all the way around. make your toms mix togeather, tune your floors first (Make em growl!) the tune up your smaller toms. You'll get a better sound that way. Its easyer too!!

www.myspace.com/lifehabit

DrumminBari

Personally I play Gretsch, and before that Yamaha, so I really have no bias here.

I completly agree with DW being over priced, and I play with Axis pedals, so dont tell me I am just not willing to pay for quality. Dont get me wrong, DW is a good drum, but your really paying for the same thing you would get with someone else, then double the price just so it says DW on it.

As far as Pearl, good drum good price. Not really my preference, but they do make some pretty good drums. And as far as I am concerned, much better then DW.

Course this is all opinion and subjective, you really just have to play around and find a sweet set. If buy any set just because someone else told you too your probably not going to be happy at all.

Then again, it wouldnt hurt you to take a look at Gretsch :twisted:

Shalaq

ross666dreamcatcher":2vemmf0p said:
but terry bozzio and neil peart and many other legends play dw........ the legends seem to play dw....... anyways yeh i love dw kits in im not a big fan on pearl kits i played one about 3 hours ago now n it was a bit rubbish. thing is dw is over priced n takes the piss, but pearls look average and bland n the mounting system is rubbish too....... i think this is one of those situations where you finally have the money for something you always dreamed of having but something came along last second and is now making things very confusing for you. my advice is go for the one you have been drooling over the longest, which ever one it is. dont let this new thing get in the way i do that all the time n always regret not just getting the thing i wanted from the start. theres pros and cons to everything so i recomend you choose that way. let us all know what you got.
Well, for me Neil Peart and Terry Bozzio aren't legends because I don't listen to their music. I just know they are world acclaimed drummers. Everyone has their own legends. Greg Bissonnette? Mapex. Dave Weckl? Yamaha. Jojo Mayer? Sonor. John Bohnam? Ludwig. Dennis Chambers? Pearl.

The answer is one- don't judge by the names, judge by the sound. These guy may have drums custom made for their specs, have great drum techs (who will tune their drums as precise as possible) and have great sound engineers/producers. No wonder they sound great. But they all sound great, no matter what drum company they endorse. This could only mean that all these drums sound good. You just have to look for what's the closest to what you want to sound like.

Spydr2000

You shouldn't even have to ask this question.. Pearl Reference is the kit to buy. DW's are horrible I don't know about the craftsmanship of DW but mine fell apart after 2 weeks. And if it weren't for powerstoke kick drum heads the drum had no bass to even be called what it is.

I never had a tuning problem or anykind of sound problem with any of my pearl kits. Actually I take this a compliment..When mic'ing my masters kits they sound so good people would ask if I was triggering them. Those drums sounded mic'd before you mic them.. the bass drum has alot of low end with a punchy attack, and the toms have a nice rounded sound that drops off really smooth no matter what heads are on them. I can't even complain about pearls stock heads... they actually use good drum heads unlike DW who put the most crappy heads on there kits. But even changing heads on a DW is still alot of work to get them to sound like the 5k kit your buying. DW needs to focus on sound quality before there vast selection of colors and finishes.

FastEddie

i would go dw all the way man. i mean the pearl reference is a nice sounding kit but it has one really good solid range with a dw its hand crafted you get what you pay for. you can get the right kit for your sound. not only that but the quality of dw is top of the line hands down. i played a dw and the reference and like i said they are solid. but when your mixing different woods. what ever wood makes your shell is going to be your sound. sometimes its not the warmth or the depth your loking for, but dont take it from me or anyone else play those kits do your research and play on!

Mikkey

DWs are nice, but they are way overpriced. They do have some nice snares but for a $100 less I could find a Tama Starclassic or Pearl snare that is just as good -and often more versatile. The crafting on DWs stuff is nice, and hey, I own a DW-9300 snare stand (got it new for $89) and I think it is the greatest snare stand I've come across. But, the price tag is way too steep for DW even if they are handcrafted. Having said all that, the Pearl Reference kits are overpriced too...and they don't even include the snare! Do what I did and buy the Pearl Reference snare and put it on whatever kit you currently have.

Bowmanator

I love how people alwasys put down DW for being over priced........HAS ANYONE CHECKED THE PRICE OF A REFERENCE KIT? Theyre the same if you havent noticed.
10 12 14 16 22 shell packs:
DW @ 3700 for a lacquer,
Pearl Reference, the same.

After working in a retail envirionment, a.k.a. guitar center......pearl does not stack up to DW as a company. They have kits that sound great, but you cant call a company that builds all their drums by hand in the most expensive place in the world to do so....California, overpriced. They know they're expensive and they reflect that quality because of their reputation and what they ry to accomplish.

Scott_Hurford

Bowmanator":nad91mgc said:
I love how people alwasys put down DW for being over priced........HAS ANYONE CHECKED THE PRICE OF A REFERENCE KIT? Theyre the same if you havent noticed.
10 12 14 16 22 shell packs:
DW @ 3700 for a lacquer,
Pearl Reference, the same.

After working in a retail envirionment, a.k.a. guitar center......pearl does not stack up to DW as a company. They have kits that sound great, but you cant call a company that builds all their drums by hand in the most expensive place in the world to do so....California, overpriced. They know they're expensive and they reflect that quality because of their reputation and what they ry to accomplish.
Pearl Referance is the highest of the highest when it comes to Pearl, so they would be highly expensive, i dont think i've even seen a DW kit for under 1000 Pound, for just the basic kit. where as you can buy a Pearl kit for like 300 pound and get alot out of it for the money.

One of the most expensive DW basic kits i've seen was around 6000 Pound!
I'd choose Pearl reference in a heart-beat...