DW hardware or Tama hardware?

screamBRYAN

They are both affordable, but i have very little cash flow since i am 15, but i need to know, which brand will last me longer? most of the drummers in my school say DW hardware is garbage, but i wouldn't know. most of you would say you never know till you try it for yourself but i'd rather spend money on something i know is good rather than waste it and be unhappy with my purchase. any feedback would be most helpful. thanks guys.

m

what specific pieces do you need, because they are not compatible/interchangeable- the sizes of posts, etc are different.
I have some of each in my studio, and both companies make different levels of gear.
If you could narrow it down to a few choices you're considering, it'd help to give an opinion.

So far, at the top of the line both brands have been good to me, no problems to report. But what fits on a Tama tom-holder won't fit on a DW~

screamBRYAN

hardware such as:

cymbal stands and hi hat stands
i just wanna know which ones function better cause the wingnuts on my pearl stands come loose quickly especially on my boom stand and leaves my cymbal upside down... grr lol

m

well, I've got a Tama and a DW kit in the studio, with each brand's respective hardware, and neither give me problems along those lines. I use Slicknuts for attaching the cymbals, and that can be problematic as the post sizes differ on the stands. But I've never had trouble with them slipping or stripping; but these would be the top-of-the-line models.

One thing that's nice about the DW hardware is the big handles they use instead of smaller wingnuts; they tend to be a little easier to crank on.
Other than that, I think both brands are plenty tough and I'd trust either of them.

Scott_Hurford

DW is the top of the bunch when it comes to hardware quality, but they can be quite expensive.
Tama on the other hand is just as good in my opinion but cheaper, if your on a low budjet, i recommend Tama hardware

anavrinIV

tama roadpro is all the stand you need, and its dw rival, the 9000 series, is about twice as expensive and a lot heavier. i have 2 roadpro convertible boom stands and i wouldnt trade them for anything. at one point i had 3 cymbals (18" paiste sig crash, 12" wuhan, 10" aax splash) on one using the boom and 2 gibraltar grabber arms, plus my 2 toms (10x12 and 11x13) on my tama double tom holder and a multiclamp. the stand was perfectly firm with all that weight on it. you can spand all your money on dw stands but at the end of the day my money is best spent on tama.

also note that when i upgrade hardware i basically go all out so anything less than a brands top line is out for me, generally. dw has some lower levels (5000 series) but even that is as much or more than roadpros.

Tuthmozis

Recently I've got me a brand new Iron Cobra Lever Glide hi hat, and few days later the nickel "dandruff" started falling from the top of main pipe.
I'm devastated - cheap chinese crap finish!

Spydr2000

screamBRYAN":36yjphlk said:
They are both affordable, but i have very little cash flow since i am 15, but i need to know, which brand will last me longer? most of the drummers in my school say DW hardware is garbage, but i wouldn't know. most of you would say you never know till you try it for yourself but i'd rather spend money on something i know is good rather than waste it and be unhappy with my purchase. any feedback would be most helpful. thanks guys.
I just got PDP 900 series boom/straight stands by DW, from musiciansfriend.com for 49.99 which was a price match from samash.com. That is a great deal!!!