DW DRUMS.......What do you think about them...

Deanoatc

I have done my research on how they are built, and what you can get from DW Drums. I love the look, the sound, the options, and the care taken into building a custom drum kit. Many people have tried to convince me to buy another brand, but i am stuck on DW... I love them. I don't have one yet, but i am saving up.......what do you think about them?

drummert2k

they do look amazing, but i also feel they are over priced. im pretty sure they use kellar shells for their drums. same shells as a ton of other companies. as for their hardware, the pedals and stands i love!

Pnkdrmmr

Ok, so DW does not use Keller shells. They actually make their own shells, imagine that. And the price of them will completely depend on where you get them. The list price for a 5 piece standard wrapped kit(14x5, 10x8, 12x9, 14x12, 22x18) is about $5,000. Most place NEVER charge list, you can usually find that kit for $2,500. Most other "custom" kits are as much if not more than that. And those companies dont even do half of the things that DW does with their drums. Most "custom" companies just buy keller shells and paint them.

I've been doing research myself on drum companies for a long time and i finally decided i was going to trust my money to DW.

Their drum making process is unparralleled.

When you order a kit they go through and find pieces of woods that all look the same and have the same tonal qualities and make drums out of those. It's not like they just pick random pieces and throw them together.

They take each piece of wood and find out what note it makes, that's right: E, G, B, A, etc. After doing that they put together drums according to key the shells make up.

So your kit is actually in tune with itself. If you dont believe me go in any music store and look on the inside of the drum, you'll see the note very clearly printed inside.

They then go through a very intensive process of construction, which if you get a wrapped kit includes pressing the wrap on at the exact time you drum is being shaped from the wood.

They show that process on the website.

Also, and this is probably the sweetest thing DW does.

They offer VLT on all of their drums. VLT means Vertical Low Timbre. On these drums they actually make the inner and outer plies of drum have vertical grain instead of horizontal. Having the grain go Vertical makes the drums deeper by nature. The kit i just got has VLT on all the drums and they sound so sweet.

So, there's good info for you on DW.

Notice the vertical grain on the Snare. This is the kit i just got. All the info on it is in my signature below.

TamaDrummer123

I love DW, and if I could afford it, I'd have a DW kit. They are over priced though. They are the cadillac of drums, and just like a cadillac, if you have the money to get one, then you'd be insane not to.

CamGeorgetownON

i have owned a 5 piece dw kit for 3 years now, and i love them as much as the first day i got them.. they are an incredible peice of musical equiptment. Honestly, you can spend hours playing aorund with the look and setup of the drums, different tunings etc.. Everytime you sit at that kit or play a show, or record a session, its going to sound incredible. I did and definately would go with dw. and if you are concerned about the price, find a decently used one, or look somewhere on ebay for a decent kit.. for a 5 piece (dw 5000 hi hat, (2) dw 5000 tom stands) i paid 4500$ an i never regreted spending that much money on this kit, totally worth it..

PS - when you do decide (if you do) i recommend a dw 18X22 bass drum, it will blow anyone away, and engineer you record with will tell you its the best bass drum they've heard ;)
wouldnt that be nice?

anavrinIV

i dont like dw. they are rediculously expensive (i saw a 5 pc that retailed for $5000) and, besides the amazing finishes, they offer nothing. the sound ive heard from dw is unimpressive, little resonance, weak tone, etc...

for my money there is better out there. id rather get a pearl reference or masterworks, tama bubinga, mapex orion etc... any day of the week.

Mike T

I Too very much dislike DW the ones i have been around are picky to stay in tune and they are way way over priced.their hardware is Top of the line i grant them that but again way way aver priced..i really dislike they suspended floor toms and for the most part i dislike their colors but then i am picky...I play Rogers!

m

DW seems good quality to me.

We had some trouble with the wrap on our studio kit, but they eventually made it right.

To me, they seem to be on par with the top of the line series from other mass-production brands, I don't see a HUGE difference.

that guy's Tobacco kit up there looks really nice though!

Gazdkw82§

iv had my dw for over 8 months and im totally not happy with it and im selling it. saying that i think i ordered the wrong sizes for what i want.

but the lugs/feel/wood just looks cheap! the wrap finish overlaps and looks crap....

im gonna get a yamaha or sonor

Pnkdrmmr

When ordering DW's(or any other custom kit) you def need to know exactly the sounds you're looking for.

I did a lot of research and talked to a bunch of older drummers to figure out what different things sound like, and in the end i got my perfect set.

But everyone has to find the company they like the best, DW just made the most sense to me.

Daneman

Pnkdrmmr":xzgllu5p said:
When you order a kit they go through and find pieces of woods that all look the same and have the same tonal qualities and make drums out of those. It's not like they just pick random pieces and throw them together.

They take each piece of wood and find out what note it makes, that's right: E, G, B, A, etc. After doing that they put together drums according to key the shells make up.

So your kit is actually in tune with itself. If you dont believe me go in any music store and look on the inside of the drum, you'll see the note very clearly printed inside.
Welcome to the world of marketing hype my friend......

If all of their shells are built to the same standards- for example, if every 8x12 maple shell were six plies and 6 mm in thickness, then there should be little if any variance between one 8x12 shell and another. They should all be nearly identical in pitch to each other.

I went into a local store that had a few DW kits in stock, and every 12" tom had the exact same note, every 14" tom had the exact same note. It's really nothing special.

Timbre matching is really nothing more than marketing hype, another way of saying "quality control." Which, from a well respected manufacturer, shouldn't be seen as an added perk, but a necessity.

Bono

Pnkdrmmr

Holla back Nola.

Did you go to the C&M in Kenner or the Guitar Center in ...Gretna?... i think?

I worked for the C&M in Baton Rouge for a good year or so, which is where i ordered my kit through.

I'm sure most of the 12x8 toms are pretty close, but not every time.

You can call it Marketing Hype, but i've heard some pretty nasty high end kits before, and by that same note i have heard DW's that didn't sound that great, but i guess there's always something to be said for the player in both cases.

You play for anyone down there? Maybe i've seen you.

Daneman

Pnkdrmmr":17vzkzff said:
Holla back Nola.

Did you go to the C&M in Kenner or the Guitar Center in ...Gretna?... i think?

I worked for the C&M in Baton Rouge for a good year or so, which is where i ordered my kit through.

I'm sure most of the 12x8 toms are pretty close, but not every time.

You can call it Marketing Hype, but i've heard some pretty nasty high end kits before, and by that same note i have heard DW's that didn't sound that great, but i guess there's always something to be said for the player in both cases.

You play for anyone down there? Maybe i've seen you.

I used to go to the C & M in Kenner every once in a while- either there or Ray Fransen's. I used to work at a restaurant in Kenner and Melvin would order stuff from us all the time. My ex's brother also manages the C & M in Lafayette, so I'd stop in there whenever I was in town.

Oh yeah, and I evacuated to Baton Rouge during Katrina, I was in C & M probably once or twice a week just to kill time.

Been playing with a small funk/acid jazz outfit for about a year. PLay out maybe once or twice a month. You can check us out here: www.MySpace.com/GrapeApeMusic.

Dane

m

I got my Offset pedal shipped from Ray Fransen's; he got it to me in 1 day, I was really impressed! How's the store in person? haven't been there yet, myself-

Daneman

m":3ht0wr3g said:
I got my Offset pedal shipped from Ray Fransen's; he got it to me in 1 day, I was really impressed! How's the store in person? haven't been there yet, myself-
The store itself is great- not overly huge, but as one of the salemen said to me the other day, they pretty much have at least one of everything, even the most obscure parts you'd never think anyone would buy that often.

Ray is a cool cat, definitely knows his stuff, but also know how to talk to people in the store- know when to ask questions, what questions to ask, and when to back off and someone shop around. If I'm not mistaken, he was involved with PASIC at one point, I believe with schedule the ensembles and marching performances.

Pnkdrmmr

I was working there when the hurricane hit, but they couldn't afford to keep me on right after it happened because noone was really buying any music equip, but i came back after like 2 months.

If you ever saw a really young guy working there with really long hair and a stud lip piercing, that was me. I was the youngest person on staff by like 8 years.

Scott_Hurford

i personally love the look of the DW kits, but they are heavily overpriced, they're lowest priced kits are like 2k whilst u can get a kit of equal quality and looks for half that.
DW = not a favorite of mine

Bowmanator

drummert2k":3iiaji1w said:
they do look amazing, but i also feel they are over priced. im pretty sure they use kellar shells for their drums. same shells as a ton of other companies. as for their hardware, the pedals and stands i love!
Ive been to the factory, they make their own shells and hand select the plys by grain patterns so they have a consistent mass and weight to it. Its really incredible to see the work that goes into them. Yamaha is the same way, Ive heard people question yamaha because of the conglomerate corporation. Not true, Yamaha is a custom drum shop in Osaka Japan that has 40 employees hand building the absolue series kits, (read an article in Modern Drummer a few years ago). Great company, great products, great warranties and great craftsmanship.

I own a DW kit and don't let the price jockey a$$ holes out ther steer you away from what you want. Bargain for your kit, I got mine at the same price as every other high end kit out there. 2100 out the door for a 4 piece Satin Oil kit. Any pearl Masters, or starclassic maple will be in the same area. The yamahas might be cheaper, but again......GET WHAT YOU WANT and dont settle for anything else, you'll keep thinking "Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda" and it will eat you up. I was a blink away from gettinga Master Custom Maple because they didnt have a good DW in my range (didnt want a used kit or a wrapped kit) came back two weeks later and there was the brand new in box kit that had my name all over it. I knew id wbe unhappy not because they sound the way they do, but because I wanted an American made Maple kit from that company.

They sound amazing, look amazing, retain their value incredibly well and are just all around classy. You cannot not play them when you own a kit and you enjoy playing more that you every have in you life.

True Story.