DW Collectors Series shell kit...

bruce00

New member
I'm about to purchase a set of DW collectors series drums, they're supposedly born on 1997....they are blue diamond wrap with black plates (with nothing saying collectors edition) Is this only on the plate of newer drums? Is there a sure indencation that they are collectors series? thanks, Bruce
 

Rob the Drummer

New member
I have a 2000 kit and it doesn't have "Collectors Series" written on it. The '97s will probably be keller shells too, I think it was before they made their own. I'm sure they will sound great regardless.
 

bruce00

New member
Rob the Drummer":aph35abo said:
I have a 2000 kit and it doesn't have "Collectors Series" written on it. The '97s will probably be keller shells too, I think it was before they made their own. I
'm sure they will sound great regardless.

Thanks Rob, I just want some assurance that I'm getting what I'm paying for....hard to know (at least for me) when theres nothing stating so... :wink:
 

SGarrett

New member
Yeah, those are Keller shell DWs. If I'm remembering correctly, they started making their own shells in '99 or '00. The "best" years seem to be '01-'05. Quality these days seems to completely suck. Wraps coming unglued, kick legs falling off, and so forth.
 

skitch

New member
bruce00":1jpw0h04 said:
I'm about to purchase a set of DW collectors series drums, they're supposedly born on 1997....they are blue diamond wrap with black plates (with nothing saying collectors edition) Is this only on the plate of newer drums? Is there a sure indencation that they are collectors series? thanks, Bruce
One of my favorite finishes! The plates won't say collectors on them if they are 1997 models. The inside of the drums should have the pitch stamped on them and a number (maybe six digits). This is the lot number. If you are really concerned, you might talk note of the lot number and call DW and ask them about it. Just an FYI, I ran across some drums advertised as DW drums for sale on Ebay. These weren't DW; they were budget line drums that the seller was using keyword spamming to get peopel to look at his listing. I reported this listing to DW who does have control of their intellectual property and the listing was removed. In short, DW does take seriously people knocking off their products.
 

dave lynch

New member
Hey what shells where Camco and I remember a guy had some when I was a kid and they sounded great to me...!! Keep in mind that was the late 70s and early 80s !!
 

bruce00

New member
Stitch, thanks a million...I'm not too familiar with DW's but am taking interest..I had Pearl Exports years back..but want to go with DW this time and with a higher quality set...Is the collectors series not a pretty high quality set?I'm thinking so, with the prices..lol The seller lists them as Maple shells 7 ply on the toms and 10 ply for the snare...Is the pitch symbol stamped inside the shell only found on the collectors series?
thanks to "all" the responses.............
Bruce
 

SGarrett

New member
bruce00":kpwk1cy6 said:
Stitch, thanks a million...I'm not too familiar with DW's but am taking interest..I had Pearl Exports years back..but want to go with DW this time and with a higher quality set...Is the collectors series not a pretty high quality set?I'm thinking so, with the prices..lol The seller lists them as Maple shells 7 ply on the toms and 10 ply for the snare...Is the pitch symbol stamped inside the shell only found on the collectors series?
thanks to "all" the responses.............
Bruce
Hahaha. DW is the professional industry standard. :D
 

racefan33

New member
SGarrett":1hhgxcf9 said:
Yeah, those are Keller shell DWs. If I'm remembering correctly, they started making their own shells in '99 or '00. The "best" years seem to be '01-'05. Quality these days seems to completely suck. Wraps coming unglued, kick legs falling off, and so forth.
I personally don't like wrap drums. It seems like a waste to buy a beautiful maple drum and then wrap it in a sheet of plastic.

Hardware losening does suck. First thing I did when I got my new PDPs was take each piece off hardware off, put some LOC-TITE on it and put it back on.
 

SGarrett

New member
racefan33":273r2474 said:
SGarrett":273r2474 said:
Yeah, those are Keller shell DWs. If I'm remembering correctly, they started making their own shells in '99 or '00. The "best" years seem to be '01-'05. Quality these days seems to completely suck. Wraps coming unglued, kick legs falling off, and so forth.
I personally don't like wrap drums. It seems like a waste to buy a beautiful maple drum and then wrap it in a sheet of plastic.

Hardware losening does suck. First thing I did when I got my new PDPs was take each piece off hardware off, put some LOC-TITE on it and put it back on.
On the flip side, you can do things with wraps as far as graphics that aren't really possible with paint and wraps are more durable. A mark on a wrap isn't as bad as a ding in an expensive finish.
 

plugg

New member
Congrats on your new acquisition! Don’t let anyone bullshit you on the “golden years” of DW. They sound just as good now as they did in 91.
The only other series that DW made aside from their collector’s series is the workshop series. They ended it around 98 or 99 I believe. They had the same quality as they collectors but with limited sizes and colors, and were much cheaper. They were discontinued because at one point they were hardly selling any collectors series and almost all workshop series.
 

plugg

New member
dave lynch":16zcid4t said:
Hey what shells where Camco and I remember a guy had some when I was a kid and they sounded great to me...!! Keep in mind that was the late 70s and early 80s !!

Camco probably used jasper shells at that time. Alternating plies of maple and poplar.
 
Top