dw...Black Velvet if you please.

cayenneman

Heres a few pix of my new babies. They have the Black Velvet FinishPlies on them.

Also my Sonor Force 1001.

Gretsch Catalina Maple

anavrinIV

all the sets look good.

the only thing i have to ask is, why do you put ec2s on a set of dws? the purpose of buying drums that expensive is to have the tone and natural resonance of the drums. while ec2s are better for low end kits with cheaper woods, why take away the resonance and tone of a dw?

Rob Crisp

Gotta say I disagree with Anavrin's EC2 comment, EC2's are great heads!

As for the kit, it's extremely sexy!

cayenneman

anavrinIV":32fh6m0i said:
all the sets look good.

the only thing i have to ask is, why do you put ec2s on a set of dws? the purpose of buying drums that expensive is to have the tone and natural resonance of the drums. while ec2s are better for low end kits with cheaper woods, why take away the resonance and tone of a dw?
When I bought these they were on display @ the Guitar Center. The heads had been worn from people trying them out in the store. So, I asked the manager if we could do something about some new heads if I bought them. Thus the Evans heads, since they dont stock the dw/Remo factory heads. I had never tried the EC2's and had always used Remo, so I thought Id give them a try. They sound great, though.

anavrinIV

Rob Crisp":asd40wuh said:

they are great heads but dw is all about tone and resonance and ecs2 take away from both...not like pinstripes or hydrualics, but still...

Alcyon

Yeah, EC2s sound great on cheap kits, but if you have an expensive DW then you might want to experiment with some thinner, lighter heads, you will likely notice a huge tone difference.

Nice looking gear! How does that Sonor sound?

m

firstly, cool kits! Nice finish on the DW, very sweet.

I have to mention that I haven't personally found the EC2's to be tone-killers. I've A/B'd EC2s w/ G2s on my Tama birch kit and I don't find them that different. I wonder if they make a bigger difference on some kits than others? They're definitely not compromising the tone or killing the resonance on my drums.

Evans describes them in these terms:
Evans new 2-ply tom head, the EC2, features an Edge Control ring that isolates and dampens higher overtones, enhances low-end and attack, and enables broader tuning and dynamic ranges.Unlike conventionally damped heads, the EC2 will not choke at higher tuning ranges, or lose its full-bodied presence when tuned low.

Rob Crisp

anavrinIV":38bioxqy said:
Rob Crisp":38bioxqy said:

they are great heads but dw is all about tone and resonance and ecs2 take away from both...not like pinstripes or hydrualics, but still...
All I know is my sound engineer wet himself when I first tried EC2's. Too much resonance makes his job harder.

Still the kit is stunning!