DW at Best Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

skitch

I just heard a rumor that DW is going to start selling drums at Best Buy. Has anyone else heard of this?

rufus4dagruv

JasonS2C":2yn7nmex said:
mortem":2yn7nmex said:
eh... why would Best Buy sell drums in the first place?
Rumor around here is they share a parent company with Guitar Center...
Guitar Center was recently acquired by a private equity firm. Best Buy (BBY on the NYSE) is publicly traded. I suppose it's possible that the firm owns a controlling share of BBY, but DW is not, as far as I know, owned by Guitar Center. This sounds like a ridiculous rumor. If anyone can find a credible link to a story, I'll retract my statement.

Rockula!

If it's anything like the rest of the equipment at non music stores then you may as well be buying a toy drumkit

dannydrumperc

Globalization and MegaStores... the Apocalypse :twisted:

Yesterday I read a post at other forum were some guys were talking bullshit about KAMAN (LP, Toca, Sabian, Gretsch, Takamine...) because it is a subsidiary of a military supply corporation. That's how businesses runs these days: big corporations own shares of many other smaller corporations and establish trading links, or explore new markets/industries.

Mom 'n Pop stores are outdated, just like cassettes. Is good to have a pro drumshop, but not having to stop at 2 or more stores to grab everything you need is even better.

The first Best Buy outlet in PR is about to open any of these days… guess I’ll go check if they have any drum gear around.

JasonS2C

rufus4dagruv":7w051oj5 said:
JasonS2C":7w051oj5 said:
mortem":7w051oj5 said:
eh... why would Best Buy sell drums in the first place?
Rumor around here is they share a parent company with Guitar Center...
Guitar Center was recently acquired by a private equity firm. Best Buy (BBY on the NYSE) is publicly traded. I suppose it's possible that the firm owns a controlling share of BBY, but DW is not, as far as I know, owned by Guitar Center. This sounds like a ridiculous rumor. If anyone can find a credible link to a story, I'll retract my statement.
Nope. DW is not owned by Guitar Center (although walking into any GC in the Seattle area may make you think otherwise). I thought it was ridiculous too.

SGarrett

Hmm. :?

I don't know that anyone would go to BestBuy and spend $4+k on a set of drums. I have a feeling the floor model would get trashed in less than a month.

kazzman

Eh, I'll call bullshit on this rumor too. The rumor going around that does seem to be holding water though is that Best Buy and many other larger corporations (excluding Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc) won't be selling guitars anymore. Reason for this is because people would buy the starter sets for their kids at Christmas, and then when a string would break and/or the amp would crap out, they'd call in for advice on how to change/replace the broken parts, and the people who sold it to them have no idea how to change a string on a guitar.

ctyjones

This rumor is rubbish. Don't believe everything you hear. If BB was to decide to sell drums, they would most likely be electronic, and then most likely through Yamaha, who BB already has an agreement with for other products.

sddrum

There are a few Best Buys in SoCal that are selling dw drums. If you go on dw's website and go to dealer locater it will show you a few best buys that are dealers. The best buy in Murrieta, CA has a music department with drums, guitars, accessories etc. Crazy! Guitar center was bought by the company who owns Toys "R" Us, Burger King and a few other large companys there name is Bain Inc.

christopherabruce

Or have low-level kid's drums like you see at Target... all packaged and not playable in the store.

ctyjones":2b564yfz said:
This rumor is rubbish. Don't believe everything you hear. If BB was to decide to sell drums, they would most likely be electronic, and then most likely through Yamaha, who BB already has an agreement with for other products.

andybfrank

I actually heard some months ago that Best Buy has been planning on selling Gibson Guitars and some brand of real drums.

Brother_Bong

Shhh, ya'll want to be careful. Notice our beloved forum is sponsored by musicians friend, who own GC, soon they will own all of us, and we wont be able to bicker about Zildjian vs. Saluda vs. Sabian. Is it getting hot in here?

kylevater

Bong":in31pndt said:
Shhh, ya'll want to be careful. Notice our beloved forum is sponsored by musicians friend, who own GC, soon they will own all of us, and we wont be able to bicker about Zildjian vs. Saluda vs. Sabian. Is it getting hot in here?
omg i love musicians friend so much! they are the best thing that has ever happened to music
and god bless guitar center for their devoted loyal employees and very low prices
:D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.