DW acoustic EQ

meinlplayer

so on the dw site I saw some videos of a new snare they put out called the acoustic eq... it looks really interesting.
It has vents that you can open and close with a slider, and you can open/close the top and bottom vents independantly.
Have any of you guys(and gals) played/heard of this drum? what are your thoughts?
http://dwdrums.com/may/acousticeq.htm#

meinlplayer

Agreed... but with how versatile they make it out to be, that 1200 big ones doesn't look quite as bad...(ok, so yeah, it's still pretty pricey)... but interesting none the less.

VENTS SIMPLY ALLOW THE DRUM TO PUSH MORE AIR OUT OF THE SHELL MAKING THE SOUND DRIER. THE COOL THING WITH THAT EQ SNARE IS THAT YOU CAN ADJUST HOW MUCH AIR COMES OUT OF THE DRUM. DO YOU THINK DW WOULD MAKE A METAL EQ SNARE?

meinlplayer

If things go well with this one they would probably look into making a metal version. The problem I see is that with how expensive it is I don't know how many people they are going to get to seriously consider it. Maybe if it was cheaper...

SeanGordon

I only see this snare's use for in the studio. There it would shine and take the place of a few snares so, it would be worth the 1200.00 clams. To a normal drummer, I dont think this is practical, unless you have the cash or you collect snares like I have started doing. I produce as well so this snare has been on my wish list for about 6 months.

I did however tryout a Wood/Brass DW Hybrid this weekend... though it weighs around 50lbs (Im not exagerating) it has one of the purest and sweetest sounds I have ever heard out of a snare. The upper and lower portions are solid brass close to 3/4 of an inch thick and in the center is a Maple ring about 3/5 of an inch thick. It seemed the brass had been nickle plated and this sucker was solid. It msrp's around $1k and sells around $800-$850... It is next on my list, talk about amazing...

Bowmanator

dudewiththesticks":3nslfuns said:
man that drum looks so bad ass. to bad its 1200 bones.
nope -its either 500 or 600, not sure, still thats pretty steep. I played one at a guitar center, cool idea, not outstanding though, and Im a DW guy all the way, rather get a solid shell for that scrilla-dough-cash-money

MikeRowland

It is a very cool and versatile (and expensive!) drum, but not really up my alley. I don't like to have to tinker with a drum too much; kinda old school that way. I have several snares that have different sounds and characteristics, and I just dial each of them in to where I like them. It is not that big of a deal to me to carry several snares to the studio, and live I just use one utility snare since you lose a lot in a mix. My main problem with this snare is that the more you open the vents, the faster the air escapes. This makes the sound drier, which is fine, but also changes the feel of the batter head due to a change in the internal pressure of the drum. It's not a huge deal, but if I am going to pay that much for a drum, I want something that is gonna play consistently. Just me, though, and I do play DW drums.

quikstang2

That thing is recockulous.

Too much money for and ugly adjustable vent system that interferes with the resonance of the shell and will most likely make undesirable noises down the road.

I think they could have done much better, especially for that price.

Sway

First off that price isnt to bad considering that most of there buyers are probably going to be endorsed people so they get it for cheap. Lots of those guys buy drums like crazy! Second its pretty innovative and if your just a drummer that plays here and there you dont really need it. If your a drummer that going somewhere it seems like somthing you would want to have. It would be so much easier to get that fat sound by just flipping somthing. I know in parts of songs i play that are lower in volume and slower i dont want a quick attack i want something that better fits. I really think honestly this is going to be a really big hit its like multiple snare drums in one. And honestly for the regular person 600 is pretty steep but think about what your getting out of it. If nothing else 2 distinct snare sound. One with the vents all the way closed(tight sound) and one with vents all the way open(fat lower sound). I'm just glad there not charging for the price of 2.