DW 9000 or Axis Longboard

TwistedPunk575

Im in a bind. Ive herd great things about boath pedals. And i kno the price for a double of eather are pretty close. But I dont't know which one to go with. Anyone plyed eather of them? what are they like?

anavrinIV

theres a huge difference between the 2. the axis is a direct drive pedal and the 9000 is a chain drive. theyre both smooth but have very different feels. you have to try them for yourself.

quikstang2

It'll probably come down to deciding between the chain drive or direct drive... some people just don't like direct drive pedals.

I love the Axis A Longboards, probably mostly because of the direct drive.

sideburnz37

I have the DW 9000 and love it...It's very smooth. Before I bought the 9000 though, I wanted to try the Axis but alot of places don't carry it. Alot of metal drummers swear by it though, so I would definitely check it out if you can.

SeanGordon

I have tried them both, I ended up buying DW7000 strictly because of price point (just losing some tension and Linkage pluses) But either pedal is very good and will help you get the most from your playing. Regardless of what pedals you have, setting it up to fit your playing style takes time. If you record i would say the AXIS because its all aircraft alluminum so its light (good for gigs on that note) but because you dont have chain noise issues to ever arrise.

The axis in my opinion is faster but thats what makes it akward for some, its too fast, so you have to adjust it to fit your speed.

I stand by DW hardware, both pedals are worth what you pay for them.

-Sean Gordon

HyperDrummer

I have played both DW 9000 and Axis Longboards, The drummer im working with in the studio right now loves his 9000's. I get behind his kit once in awhile to help him figure out fills and i just cant get use to the 9000's. I own a pair of Axis Classic Longboards and i just love them, The longboard is great for both Heel up or Heel down playing. The 9000s are good pedals but also what makes a point is if you use a bounce technique with pedals. The Axis is Direct drive and 9000's are chained. Go to your local Guitar Center and ask to try them out. That would be the best option.

m

you pretty much have to testdrive those pedals to determine what's best for you. As you can see from the posts, everyone has different preferences.

personally, I dislike the DW pedals, but they seem to work for a lot of drummers. I went with Axis, and still prefer them over anything else out there.
I reserve the right to change my mind after the NAMM show though...

the grind ninja

i have played both . for a more chill type of rock, i think w/ 9000's you get a bit more feel to the pedal. but for shear speed and brutality, Axis all the way. you dont get the power from them like a dw but if your into triggering just buy the e-kits. ive also never broke an axis pedal. ive blown dw's apart. :lol:

the grind ninja":17z5wvc9 said:
i have played both . for a more chill type of rock, i think w/ 9000's you get a bit more feel to the pedal. but for shear speed and brutality, Axis all the way. you dont get the power from them like a dw but if your into triggering just buy the e-kits. ive also never broke an axis pedal. ive blown dw's apart. :lol:
I've heard different from a friend of mine that was actually endorsing axis for a while. He is playing Iron Cobras now because the Axis pedals wouldn't hold up on tour. He said he loved the feel, they were extremely fast, just wouldn't hold up. I was in the same dilemma deciding between the two and went with the 9000 and i am very happy with them.

rdrummer09

ive seen people play incredibly fast with the long boards at shows never have i seen anyone with the dw at typical deathmetal/hardcore

Charolastra

ive been playing axis long boards for a year now. best pedals ive bought!. people save that extra hundred dollars . they are WORTH IT!!

Jaki

Direct drive .. simple ass... why would u want a pedal that could not be as fast, noisy or annoying....

axis pedals will dominate the pedal market for all eternity simple as

pirce isnt 2 bad either lol =D and they have trigger boxes for the actual pedals which make actual drum triggers.. obsolete.

who would say no...

and i agree with teh other post on here.. i have never seen a metal drummer with dw pedals... probal yfrowned upon or sumthing...

The Heel

Personally I was disapointed by the Axis pedal and will not buy another one.

And just try to change the beater on one... it destroys the pedal and makes it useless. It also wasnt the most durable pedal I've ever bought. Mine sits at home and gets dusty now.

I'll take the 9000s over the Axis pedal.

As far as who plays DW pedals? I dont think that should play much into your own selection... but if you take a look at who endorses them I'm sure it would be an impressive list.

Multibomber

I tried the Axis A pedals a long time ago, and I ended up returning them. They didnt have the Sonic Hammer Beaters, and I just couldn't get the pedals to hit the bass drum hard enough for my liking. I LOVED how quick they were though. I've been using DW 5000 Accelerators forever now. Do you guys think I owe Axis A longboards a try? I dont like trying stuff at Guitar Center cuz the employees get all jumpy if you wanna adjust the shit out of them or try them on a kit... and they dont have the longboards in stock anyways.

m

the kit I sat in on at NAMM had a double DW 9000 setup on it, and I really disliked them. A lot. My foot kept slipping forward into the chain, and they felt slow and clunky compared to what I'm used to on the Axis pedals. I made it thru the performance, but I do NOT care for the feel of those DWs.

ChiefJustice

rdrummer09":33cvh5t9 said:
ive seen people play incredibly fast with the long boards at shows never have i seen anyone with the dw at typical deathmetal/hardcore
haha watch tthe GORGASM drummer Tom hes a buddy of mine he plays DW 9000 and If you faster than him you can think about axis haha

TrunJun

Axis pedals will be better for you for more up-tempo playing (such as fast double bass, linear single bass beats, double stroking), but the DW will be better for groove drumming. Actually, I recommend the Pearl Eliminators over the DW 9000s. You'll get better functionality out of them and higher attack too.

I'm not saying Axis pedals cant be used for down-tempo playing. Anyone who can't play slower with Axis pedals just simply isnt playing them properly. Its too bad people dont use their hip-flexor muscles properly (for slower grooves). Bostic (on the DerekRoddy.com forum) has great videos on youtube about this sort of thing.

EKoolaidsDrummer

I bought a DW 9000 double kick pedal IMMEDIATELY after trying one out at Guitar Center.... Them moving the spring assembly "Inside" makes for ULtra smooth action. This makes it feel as if the pedal has a "gliding" motion when you play....Plus when you play double or triple strokes (on one foot) the 9000 doesn't "fight" you like the other pedals do....

This is truly a remarkable piece of technology. So good I found another 9000 double kick at a local pawn shop and bought it...So I own TWO.... The axis long board is also an extremely good pedal...I tried it out and the Pearl Power Shifter but the INSTANT I put my foot on the 9000 I knew that was the pedal.......

Thats only my opinion...... Buy it by how it FEELS TO YOU!!!!!!

wak

i would have to say, axis is really only required for heel-toe (which im new to, and just cant do on any other type of pedal, cos i suck), but they are damn beautiful pedals, and really (and i do mean REALLY) sensitive and accurate, a delight to play, when you're warmed up (any slight mistake (variation) really shows up with them)
i still love using them, tho i cant afford any of my own yet

i haven't tried the double of the DW pedals, but the singles were very good, i've only used them once tho, so i cant give detailed information, but they were smooth, and comfortable, also fairly powerful

both are a good choice, i would say the axis pedals are the better to look at, but that is maybe the only real difference

before i played them, i would have said axis everytime

in conclusion it really depends on your needs/desires as to what you get, if you want to do heel-toe, and like me, you can't do it on normal pedals, get the longboards