DW 9000 bass drum pedal... any testemonials?

nixusix

DW 9000 bass drum pedal... any testemonials? im reaaaally thinking of getting one... should i... shouldnt i? i have a pearl eliminator now but its from when they first came out and is getting old and out of date... im thinking of the dw 9000... help?

i had one for about seven months and just sold it.

it's a nice pedal but is it that much nicer than the 5000 to warrant dropping an extra $100?

no way.

it's really smooth but i'd actually go out on a limb and say i liked my 5000 much more.

this begs the question:

what is enough? at what point are you just pissing money away?

sonordrummer

Its awesome have had one for 2 yrs and will never use anything else. And yes I have tried all the others, but its all about what works for you!

PaulZILLA

ah. i love that pedal. great thing. true its not that much faster or better than the 5000, but it is worth the extra money if you are going to be using it pretty often, personaly its my favorite pedal, super smooth, super adjustable, super strong. but even im thinking of using that as my trusty pedal and gettin a Trick V1 double pedal. the only thing ive ever played that out performed a 9000, admitedly it does cost about 750 and comes with no case, but great pedal. i cant say anything bad about the 9000. i always used it on the strap and took the chains off and kept them in case i needed em.

ddrumark

to tell you the truth,i really dislike dw pedals in general,they are WAYY over priced and a lil bit over rated,i perfer TAMA iron cobras,they are great for recording because they are virtualy silent and they are sooo smooth gliding tis almost like there is now pedal at all just air,i strongly recomend and you save like $250.the dw is like $500 and the iron cobra(depending on were from)is like $250ish

drumart.79

i had a 5000 series DW double pedal for years. then i moved on to a tama iron cobra powerglide. i've had it for 8 or 9 years. it's been amazing. i will say that i have tried other pedals, and almost all of them were great. the Axis longboard pedals are a joy (really really amazing. expensive, but amazing) the DW 9000's are good. the mapex pedals are nice. any good drum manufacturer makes a decent pedal.

here's the thing...

no one makes horrible stuff, really. but what you need to do is not worry about a name so much as go and try stuff out and figure out what FEELS the best. because as a drummer, EVERYTHING is about the feel. and if something doesn't FEEL right, then why drop your hard earned cash on it?

go play around and have a good time. and when you figure it out, then you spend your money.

chuckdick

drumaniac

I have a DW 5000 that i adore like crazy...The construction and durability is unsurpassable. I tried out a few differant padals before getting my 5000. Yamaha pedals are pretty cheap and they have a really natural feel to them. sort of oldschool if you ask me. I used to have an iron cobra that did the trick, but over time, the thing wouldn't hold to any of my adjustments.

In 3 months time i have taken my 5000 on the road AND in the studio and it's been great.

Also, If you live by a guitar Center, decide what you want and go at it with a cheaper price in mind. I know it seems weird to barter like that, but they discount stuff for me all the time. Worth a try I guess...Good luck to you!!!

DeputyDiezel

personally i think you should get the new eliminator, im not huge on double pedals, i lie have 2 kicks(better tone), but i use an eliminator neways

i also have a DW 5000 and i think it is much better than the 9000

nixusix

yeah ive played the dw 9000 and i have no tiffs about it, its great and money really isn't an issue since im not paying for it :) but i am just curious as to what other drummers opinions are on it. Like i said i have a pearl eliminator double pedal and ive played it for years but its time for a new pedal and like change for some reason so i thought i would try out the dw 9000 single pedal. For some reason im not to into the iron cobra, it doesnt excite me much, but i agree... dw is over priced for the name and that is lame!

Mikkey

No I don't own a 9000 pedal, but I do have a lame endorsement for that pedal. I like how wide the pedal board is for that particular pedal (and all DWs in general). Being someone with a wide foot, playing on some of the smaller boards makes it tougher.

goatatl

Personally, I'm totally sold on the IC Powerglide, but I do have a DW 7000 that I use on my rehearsal kit. Nothing wrong with it at all, the Tamas just feel better to me.
G

JBislefthanded

well, a DW 5000 pedal and the Tama Iron Cobra pedal is the exact same thing. When Camco dissolved DW bought the tooling department and Tama bought the patents and rights. The result ends up being two pedals based on the same design. So DW updated the design and now has the 9000 which is the frictionless "infinitely" adjustable wonder pedal. I have played on both of these. I love the 9000 pedal. The quality, the craftsmenship, and the materials are unbeatable. It seems absolutely perfect and I love playing with it. I think the adds are right, it REALLY does seem like it makes you a better player. But I did buy the bass pedal after getting the hi-hat. I think its awesome too. If your just trying to look cool you should get a chrome I.C., But whatever...

drumteacher41

Fantastic pedal, i also have the DW 5000 they are both great. But the 9000 is so smooth. Expensive but if you are a working drummer the 9000 will last quite a while it's durable and reliable....TIm

tomeleefan

i would recommend it! I just got mine about 6 weeks ago with the 9000 two leg hi hat as well. it is way better than the 5000. there isn't as much extra transfer play on the auxilary side, it is almost perfectly even. it is a way better pedal than the iron cobra. the key characteristic is the smothness on the 9000, it takes a while to get used to but it is just great. heavy duty foot plates and no teeth for the chains so the teeth wont grind up and be worn down flat within a year like the 5000 does. the only other pedal I would say that might be better is the axis but that boils down to preference. as for that pearl, trash it, not even in the same ballpark and yes I have played it too, hell I like the yamaha double pedal more than the pearl.

nixusix

drumteacher41":3aun7ehy said:
Fantastic pedal, i also have the DW 5000 they are both great. But the 9000 is so smooth. Expensive but if you are a working drummer the 9000 will last quite a while it's durable and reliable....TIm
Perfect!

nixusix

tomeleefan":320uyq5b said:
i would recommend it! I just got mine about 6 weeks ago with the 9000 two leg hi hat as well. it is way better than the 5000. there isn't as much extra transfer play on the auxilary side, it is almost perfectly even. it is a way better pedal than the iron cobra. the key characteristic is the smothness on the 9000, it takes a while to get used to but it is just great. heavy duty foot plates and no teeth for the chains so the teeth wont grind up and be worn down flat within a year like the 5000 does. the only other pedal I would say that might be better is the axis but that boils down to preference. as for that pearl, trash it, not even in the same ballpark and yes I have played it too, hell I like the yamaha double pedal more than the pearl.
Woah! Hmm, I feel like ive been playing a childs toy with that description. Im definatly going to make another trip to the local music store and test a couple of them out again. I do like the axis to so... i dont know what i am going to do! all i can do is play them more i guess.

m

I don't care for DW pedals; I've tried to get a feel for them but they just never feel as comfortable as what I'm using presently.
I played a show w/ the 9002s and my foot kept slipping off the footplate into the chain which really annoyed me. They felt OK otherwise, but not 'great.'
We have a set of 5002s in the studio and I really dislike those. I've tweaked them everywhichway and they still feel clunky and heavy to me.
sorry to be a dissenter, but those are my feelings on the DW pedals I've played.

alright...

here's a question for all the 9000 enthusiasts out there then...

is the pedal really that much nicer than the 5000 to warrant spending an extra $110?

my vote's for no.