durability of wood hoops

rundylanrunn

i'm currently saving to get a custom snare made and i've been considering getting the yamaha style wood hoops on it, does anyone know how durable those are. i think they look and sound great but i wouldn't want to have to replace them a lot.

I have a PDP maple with wood hoops. I love it. It was my workhorse for about a year and a half. Band played 2-3 times a week on average, so it took quite a beating. Its the yamaha style hoop. It held up amazingly well. Sure, it does suffer from the abuse. After a year and a half I finally rotated the hoop. Trust me you wont have to replace those rims very often for wear, unless you are unsatisfied with the aesthetics of it. The money you will save in stick wear will more than pay for the price of replacement hoops. VERY stick friendly.

rundylanrunn

awesome, thanks so much for the info. i think i've decided to go with those hoops.

i saw some somewhere floating around that are wood but the inner lining of the hoop is metal, i bet that would be the best of both worlds!

rundylanrunn":14w91aaw said:
awesome, thanks so much for the info. i think i've decided to go with those hoops.

i saw some somewhere floating around that are wood but the inner lining of the hoop is metal, i bet that would be the best of both worlds!
Might be my Dunnett snare. It has the Stanbridge hybrid wood over brass hoops. They are a bit different than straight up wood. A combination of both characteristics, but lean more towards the metal in my opinion. Enjoy. They are $$$

rundylanrunn

thanks for the info. i'm just going to go with the standard yammie hoops. possibly having to replace the top hoop after like 2 years honestly is an okay tradeoff for the sound and feel, to me.

Alan_

I've actually been having crazy thoughts of what my supraphonic would sound like with wood hoops. thinking it might mellow and dry it out just a tad.

Alan_":dz9e4h1s said:
I've actually been having crazy thoughts of what my supraphonic would sound like with wood hoops. thinking it might mellow and dry it out just a tad.
Alan, I think you'll be pleased if you try them. Its pretty obvious I'm a huge fan if you've read many of my posts. I gather youre more than an average player and I think you will really enjoy the different sweet spots in all positions of the head. Side sticks....oh man, pure, loud and full.

I hear Gibraltar makes them now at a very reasonable price. Just a thought.

rundylanrunn":2c2h7pvs said:
i heard that as well, but i also heard that they are much less durable from gibraltar. but a lot cheaper as well.
K Dylan, so I did bit of checking :) The Yams seem to be about the same as the Gibs. I mean maple is maple??? Right? I guess the glue could be different, but both companies make quality gear so I highly doubt one is noticably less durable than the other. Both are made of many plys glued together. The Yams are slightly more $ than Gibs and come in pairs. The Gibs you can get a batter only and would be half as much.

Now...more companies are getting into the wood hoop game and they can get pricey. Some are made by finger joining solid pieces of wood of different types: maple, bubinga, walnut, etc and then the hybrids.

The hybrids are protected from wear by the brass insert. If you like, I can take a picture of the wear on my straight wood hoops and send a pic of my hybrid. I can't post a pic with my iPhone, but I can email a pic to you if you pm me your email addy. Otherwise, I can post a pic Monday when I get to work.

antiunderscores

nightcrawler_steve":lrzz2fx1 said:
The Yams seem to be about the same as the Gibs. I mean maple is maple??? Right?
There is different types of maple, and even if they were the same type, the sound characteristics can vary. For instance if it was taken from the bottom of the tree the grain would be more tightly compressed which would give you louder projection and a tighter bottom end and more durability. However a softer cut of maple would have little bottom end and be quite soft. But what would i know, im only a beginner. :D

But now i've had my little show off time... chances are they would have plys of different cuts of timber to give u a balance of durability/price, and since its just the hoop i dont think the bottom end kick of maple with tighter grain would be very evident. Basically what i said up the top is (to my knowledge) true but has little relevance to what ur asking... still... its nice to have a moment...

antiunderscores":3l3qvh3k said:
nightcrawler_steve":3l3qvh3k said:
The Yams seem to be about the same as the Gibs. I mean maple is maple??? Right?
There is different types of maple, and even if they were the same type, the sound characteristics can vary. For instance if it was taken from the bottom of the tree the grain would be more tightly compressed which would give you louder projection and a tighter bottom end and more durability. However a softer cut of maple would have little bottom end and be quite soft. But what would i know, im only a beginner. :D

But now i've had my little show off time... chances are they would have plys of different cuts of timber to give u a balance of durability/price, and since its just the hoop i dont think the bottom end kick of maple with tighter grain would be very evident. Basically what i said up the top is (to my knowledge) true but has little relevance to what ur asking... still... its nice to have a moment...
Awesome, awesome...learned something today. Thanks for sharing!

Dylan...emailed pics.

rundylanrunn

yeah i got them. the wear isn't so bad at all! those dunnett hoops look nice but i bet they lose a lot of the wood sound.

antiunderscores

rundylanrunn":3lpk0505 said:
yeah i got them. the wear isn't so bad at all! those dunnett hoops look nice but i bet they lose a lot of the wood sound.
so what brand did u end up getting? whats the sound like? what snare u put them on?

Mitchell?

antiunderscores":2gl4b35l said:
rundylanrunn":2gl4b35l said:
so what brand did u end up getting? whats the sound like? what snare u put them on?
He got the pics, not the wood hoops yet.