Duct tape beater pad

drumshark

Just cuz im cheap and dont like spending money, im getting a new bass drum beater in a wekk or 2, and instead of buying a new impact badge for my bass pedal, i heard duct tape works good, any comments?

drummert2k

it works at first but when you start wearing away the tape, the beater head starts to stick a little to the worn away duct tape because you're worn through the top layer and down to the adhesive part. impact pads are like 4 bucks. just buy one unless you wanna buy a new kick head after a week because you're beater starts sticking because of the tape.

trstn

seconded. Don't do it, it's very annoying when you hit the kick and the beater does not come back, which will happen. I tried it. :D

trstn

indeed.. :lol:

but...
take an old head, cut out a little piece and put this with tape on your head, just don't let the beater hit the tape...
Yesterday I have made an experiment on my old kick head, which needs desperate replacement :D to "glue" the Falam Slam pads back on it. I used a little spray glue which worked fine. You may want to try this with a piece of an old head. Just be sure the glue is good for plastics.

trstn

Rob the Drummer

drumshark":h1773apr said:
Just cuz im cheap and dont like spending money, im getting a new bass drum beater in a wekk or 2, and instead of buying a new impact badge for my bass pedal, i heard duct tape works good, any comments?
It's kind of funny that you say you are cheap. Get a good impact badge and you will save money in the long run by your bass drum head lasting longer.

xdoseonex

listen to drummert2k. if you put duct tape on your head you will wear through it and your bass drum beater will stick you your head with every stroke. and you will hate life.

anavrinIV

ive put tape over an impact patch that was falling apart and it worked but it did stick a little. ive also heard of guys putting quarters in between layers of tape to get a click sound, but that doesnt work because the quarters would break and shear the head...so, not the greatest idea ever devised.

Brother_Bong

trstn":35qm2uif said:
indeed.. :lol:

but...
take an old head, cut out a little piece and put this with tape on your head, just don't let the beater hit the tape...
Yesterday I have made an experiment on my old kick head, which needs desperate replacement :D to "glue" the Falam Slam pads back on it. I used a little spray glue which worked fine. You may want to try this with a piece of an old head. Just be sure the glue is good for plastics.

trstn
Thats not a bad idea...