Drumsticks slipping

Hey everyone. Ive been playing drums for a few years now and i still let the stick slip down my hand to where Im pretty much just holding onto the butt of the stick. Ive tried using grip tape but my hands would sweat and I would get sticky black tape on my hands and it just got annoying. Any tips on holding the stick or a better product besides grip tape I could use?

Thanks!

BillRayDrums

What's happening is you are gripping too much in the front (thumb & index finger). Shift your grip throughout the whole of your hand; let all 4 fingers make contact with the stick.

Oh yeah, you are probably gripping too tight. Loosen up!

stump

Gripping technique is most likely your problem. Though if you correct your grip and continue to have a problem, check out Zildjian Zil-wax. Great for those hot sweaty situations.

Sprocket

i use drumming gloves in addition to grip tape and my sticks dont move lol. just take care not to get the gloves wet (aside from your hand sweating) because they tend to lose their grip after that. i've been through many a pair of drumming gloves because someone got them wet.

-Sprocket

crackheadback

I took a break from drumming for some time and then formed a band. At first I could not hold on to the sticks for anything. In fact not only did I use gloves, but I put football stickem on them to keep the sticks in my hand. I soon realized I was just hitting too damn hard and needed to back off a bit. Even with that, I seem to always end up holding the stick near the butt end. More than my grip, I think I hold them so far down to gain more leverage on the drum. I have tried longer sticks with the same result. I will try adjusting my grip as suggested.

osiris90210

as u play work on moving ur hand back up the stick, cos to do certain techniques easy and fast i find it good to b able to move the stick up and down ur hands while playing, so just work on playing and moving the stick back up to a normal grip... ben playing 6 years and i had the same problem, thats how i fixed it

drumsforlife

osiris90210":eixeqrvm said:
as u play work on moving ur hand back up the stick, cos to do certain techniques easy and fast i find it good to b able to move the stick up and down ur hands while playing, so just work on playing and moving the stick back up to a normal grip... ben playing 6 years and i had the same problem, thats how i fixed it
That's funny, because I too have been playing for 6 years. And I too do the same thing to help with the slipping.

*Now entering the Twilight Zone* Just kidding.

It's still weird though...

ihitwithstix

As a veteran percussionist of 27 years,I occasionaly experience slippage from heavy sweating. I have found that zildjian stick wax works great to eliminate the problem. But,there is a drawback.Until you get used to it,it may cause some discomfort from rubbing or even blisters on your hand.

Damagedrummer

Heey, I had that problem all the time, and I've tried everything from tape, to gloves, but none of it felt right.

A few weeks ago I bought a block of magenisium. You can buy it at your local sportshop for like 2 dollars.

When I tried it the first time it worked out really well, and I had excellent grip. So after every song I dipped my hands in the magnesium. Pretty soon I had big blisters, BUT if you use small amounts, just a little bit will do, it works great!! Your hands stay dry and you have great grip!

Oh and a towel works good too! :lol:

drumnovido

First your hand are sweaty, do you have sweaty hands? If you do, you might have PH problem and you need to find a way to balance that so that your hands don't sweat.

Praticing on a practice pad should work too. Since pratice pads have so much bounce on it, you will see how much you really have to grip the stick. I say grip it firm and yeat loose so that it doesn't fly away. I would now this because I'm a genius when it comes to losing sticks. When you grip it, hold it like how one guy suggested… evenly. Don't grip the sticks too hard also, because you'll find yourself hanging on for dear life the rest of the time because your arms are always tense. And it will tire you faster.

Grip tapes are cool too, for the time being, but you will find them unnecessary in the long run as your grip improves.

So its, PH balance, hand exercises, and grip technique.

twisteddrummer

Try the Zildjian dipped sticks. They can shred your hands at first, but they don't leave any nasty residue like grip tape can. They can fix your sweaty part of your problem. I sweat like a son of a bitch when I play and these sticks helped a lot.

grey_fox

what stick wrap do you use?

i used pro mark yellow and green because it looks cool! but found that the tape used to go grey'ish from sweat and stuff but before that i used ahead black stick wrap and i do now aswell because it doesn't loose colour! but i never had a problem with it leaving crap on my hands, if it did it just rubbed off with a pat of my hands together! i now also use ahead gloves awell which are awesome but i can't really move back to bare haands as the stick wrap completley messes my fingers up!

but what i have found with gloves and stick wrap is that the stick wrap gets worn down quite quickly and the gloves can get worn patches in the palm!