Drums vs Temperature

SkinBeater

Ok.. here's my situation in a nutshell.. when my band gigs on weekends, i bring my drums to work with me and leave them in my car to go straight to set up after work.. it's impossible for me to go to my house , load up and drive an hour or so in the opposite direction and set up in time.. . but the dilema now is.. it's getting fucking cold out here in Detroit.. how bad will i fuck them up if i leave them in my car when it's cold as hell out.. second...if it does fuck them up, how do they NOT get fucked up when you order a kit on-line in the winter and they're in a cold ass semi truck for three days or so for delivery?....
anyone have any experiences or suggestions in this matter?

Jon

Check out my vids at
www.myspace.com/shogun_warrior32

Xfactor

Hey man, I hear your cry. I had a similar problem up here in Ontario Canada before I went electronic. My experiance with the cold is far to intimate. But as long as the drums cool slowly and heat up slowly then the only problem you are going to have is tunning them every time you use them. But a word of caution...if your drums have a wrap for the finish the fact tat the wood and the plastic expands and contracts at differnet rates may cause the wrap to disconnect from the shell. I use to alwasy leave my kit in the porch area of our home with an electric heater for a few hours before I bought them in. I had a snare crack on my one because it went from 25 below 0 to a 73 degree home enviroment. It was not pretty and I heard it crack from abot 15 feet away. Anyway I hope this helped. Cheers.

masonvonritchie

I've lived in Dallas, Tx most of my life it goes from 110 in the summer to about 20 in the winter sometimes so my drums have been through some rapid changes at times. The only problem I've ever had was having to tune them. But if you put them through a sudden temperature change, just like putting a hot light bulb in cold water, they're liable to crack on you. But that shouldn't be much of a problem in Detroit.

Scott_Hurford

only thing i can say is for you to put all your drums and cymbals etc...in good quality drum/cymbal bags, you can get some quite think bags now for your drums, that should stop the cold getting to them, also when you keep the kit in the car, keep a think blanket in there to wrap around your equiptment. insilate your drums as much as possible, other wise like the others said, the cold could cause damage to your drums...
Hope that helps..

~Scott~

stevo

they shouldnt be that bad, heat gets alot worse then cold. just watch out for drastic heat changes and you should be ok.

Johnny Cat

I think something else you should be concerned with keeping them outside in your car is the humidity. It may not be a major concern in the cold,, I'm not really sure, even though there is still moisture in the air depending on where you live. But I know that high temperature + lots of humidity + tension = warped shells.

TrunJun

Johnny Cat is absolutely right. Humidity is bad for any drum kit, plus the rapid temperature change.

The best thing you can do is get some Thermally backed soft-cases. I have some and the padding on the ones I use (Tuxedos) is great. I've only had one bass shell bag break on me... but most people prefer to use Hard Case shells. Just make sure that you dont go from extreme cool to extreme heat in a short time tho, like they said.

Hail Satan
The Allmighty TrunJun of Before the Reign (Denver)

I went on a tour that took us from dry cold to humid hot, not rapidly though, with my drums in hard cases in a trailer and had no problems. Just a lot of tuning.

DreamT

I just need to get something off my chest. PAISTE DOES NOT RHYME WITH FIESTY! IT RHYMES WITH WAIST. I apologize for this outburst but my skin crawls everytime i read Johnny Cat's post's in the forums.

From what I understand, the constant change in temp and humidity causes your drums to expand and contract and can warp over time, it has to do with the moisture getting into the cells of the wood, that's what I've been told anyways. I'm sure if you kept them well insulated with some blankets or whatever it might help keep them in good shape in the car and in cold weather..

Someone, please let me know if that's the wrong interpretation of the expansion and contraction of drums with their environment.

Hope you get that all figured out, it would suck to damage a good set of drums.

Raider05

A friend of mine encountered a problem last winter, with a huge crack on his bass drum, in the laquer finish. Apparently it occurred as a result of moving the drums from a hot stuffy club to his car in the cold winter here in Canada....or vice-versa. The expanding wood shell caused the finish to split.

This was a new Taye kit, and they were nice enough to replace it with a brand new bass drum, but it goes to show that it can happen.

Scott_Hurford

DreamT":27sx4mnp said:
I just need to get something off my chest. PAISTE DOES NOT RHYME WITH FIESTY! IT RHYMES WITH WAIST. I apologize for this outburst but my skin crawls everytime i read Johnny Cat's post's in the forums.
I've never heard it pronounced like the sounding of "WAIST" :D
Only "FIESTY"

Dale

SkinBeater":1y9qc2dq said:
Ok.. here's my situation in a nutshell.. when my band gigs on weekends, i bring my drums to work with me and leave them in my car to go straight to set up after work.. it's impossible for me to go to my house , load up and drive an hour or so in the opposite direction and set up in time.. . but the dilema now is.. it's getting fucking cold out here in Detroit.. how bad will i fuck them up if i leave them in my car when it's cold as hell out.. second...if it does fuck them up, how do they NOT get fucked up when you order a kit on-line in the winter and they're in a cold ass semi truck for three days or so for delivery?....
anyone have any experiences or suggestions in this matter?

Jon

Check out my vids at
www.myspace.com/shogun_warrior32
I'm more worried about your gear being stolen from your car.

I don't really have any ideas about how to deal with heat and cold other than keeping the equipment dry. It doesn't get very cold where I live.

Fudman

heres an idea get a cuple of reusealbe hand wamers and get them going and put them under the drums and wrap a big planket over the drums and at you lunch check them ad see if its still warm and if you need to re charge(whatever you do to recharge hand warmers). just an idea to keep the cold off.

Raider05

DreamT":3eit2nwy said:
From the Paiste website in the FAQ section;

How do you pronounce "Paiste"?

The correct pronunciation for "Paiste" is "Pie-stee".

As Mario Calire of Ozomotli says, "it rhymes with feisty"!

I think they should know.

*EDIT*-I should mention that I pronounced it wrong for years. :lol:

Johnny Cat

Raider05":j4663xhg said:
DreamT":j4663xhg said:
From the Paiste website in the FAQ section;

How do you pronounce "Paiste"?

The correct pronunciation for "Paiste" is "Pie-stee".

As Mario Calire of Ozomotli says, "it rhymes with feisty"!

I think they should know.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH SIR! :D That's precisely where I got that quote from.

Johnny Cat

DreamT":3p2plnae said:
Sorry dude, but you're wrong. Click here and look right at the top:

http://www.paiste.com/faqs/#faq13

But you know, pronounce it how you wish. I just liked the fact that he used the word "fiesty". Not trying to be preachy. I'll forgive the outburst because I'm a genuinely nice guy, and everyone makes mistakes. :)

mattkinel

in the short term youre fine, but if you want those drums to last you, youre screwd. I restore vintage drums, and because of temp changes, the shell plys separate, which is a bitch to fix because unless you have a press and clamps that can put 5 tons of pressure (the amount of pressure keller puts on there shells) youll get air bubbles.

if youre leaving them in the car, buy a set of vistalites, or some other acrylic, carbon fibre, plastic, fiberglass, or my favorite, stainless steel drums.

philapfg

i'm from wisconsin. i had a kick drum crack on me. i left it in my garage a little too long at the beginning of winter. i learned my lesson, besides, i was young. next to that it's just a matter of retuning, but making sure your drums are at room temp when you do tune. i have broken many cymbals in the winter and am thinking the hot to cold thing light have quite a bit to do with that. anyway, that's all i have. good luck!
philaPFG