Drums and Bass guitar.

stump

I feel like the bass guitar and drums go hand in hand when it comes to music. Our bassist plays drums and I have recently taken up playing bass. Do any of you guys play bass as well? I personally think that it helps you tune into what you are playing. Peace!

Stimpy

i dont and cant play bass.

did want to learn though

and my bassist cant play a beat on drums either lol

im afraid we are on a different boat here lol

blackreign

The bassist in my band thinks he's awsome on drums, little does he know that he can't hold a beat nor can he time it very well

I can play bass on the other hand, and guitar quite well...

sumcash

i play drums as a first instrument and bass guitar and normal 6 string guitar. and i think you are right. It does help. I have found that i create more interesting beats and respond to what the bass player does, rather than just doing my own thing. i think that whatever band you are in, it always helps the band to move forward musically if you understand the other instruments involved......

TrunJun

My bass player friend Greg (from Harvest the Murdered) and I (From Beneath the Volcano/IamtheShotgun) had a very interesting conversation about the relationship between drummers and bass players last night at my 15th St. Tavern show, and we both pretty much agree, both the bass and drums really do go hand-in-hand in a band. Guitar has much more of a chromatic element to it than either bass or drums do (unless youre Terry Bozio haha) and both of us kindof agree because its hard to lead a band diatonically when all you have to go on is the Treble end of the sound. It can make keeping the band together pretty hard (especially since there is no bass player in IamtheShotgun). We both really fully appreciate the value of a complete rhythm section.

As far as switching instruments, I've always kindof wanted to try that. The bass players i've worked with are definetly way better drummers than the guitar players i've worked with lol.

Keep us updated on this.

drum man

yeah dude i definaly think that drums and bass go hand in hand.
I dont play bass yet, because I want to focus on drums for another year, but I'm playing on learning how to play soon.

anavrinIV

i definately think bass and drums go together. i cant play bass and my bassist cant play drums but ive been told by numerous people that when we play live the bass and drums are always on cue with each other, even when everything else just kind of falls apart around it. it may be that we have a special connection though, because ive known him since i was 6 weeks old.

osiris90210

well i play electric guitar, i find that and drums go together, bass and drums r pretty tuned in with each other, but i find that electric seems closer,

my guitarists have always been able to play abit on drums my bassists THOUGHT they could haha

drumsforlife

The relationship between the drums and the bass is nothing new to the music world. Hell, drums and bass ARE the rhythm section. If you're a drummer who can play bass, and if you're a bassist who can play drums, and you two play in the same band, then the rhythm section for the band will be that much more together and in tune with each other. I can count on one hand the number of times I've watched a band where the drums and the bassist didn't work well together. I'm not saying that you have to know how to play bass, or that the bass player has to know a thing or two on the drums in order to have a good chemistry, but what I am saying is that there needs to be an understanding between the bass and the drums. Say for instance that the drummer is playing kick on quarters in a song that's in 4/4, and the bassist is doing a walking bass line or something that's more melodic than the usual chord changes. The quarters on kick are going to cover up what the bass is doing. Instead of playing quarters on kick, I'd kick on just 1, or 1 and 3. That way there is space for the audience to hear what the bass is doing.

It's funny that you post about this because I was just at a workshop for drums and bass. Ha ha ha ha. So this is fresh on my mind.From a drummer's standpoint, I learned a lot about working with the bass player.

killdrum1983

drumsforlife":25s86q2a said:
The relationship between the drums and the bass is nothing new to the music world. Hell, drums and bass ARE the rhythm section. If you're a drummer who can play bass, and if you're a bassist who can play drums, and you two play in the same band, then the rhythm section for the band will be that much more together and in tune with each other. I can count on one hand the number of times I've watched a band where the drums and the bassist didn't work well together. I'm not saying that you have to know how to play bass, or that the bass player has to know a thing or two on the drums in order to have a good chemistry, but what I am saying is that there needs to be an understanding between the bass and the drums. Say for instance that the drummer is playing kick on quarters in a song that's in 4/4, and the bassist is doing a walking bass line or something that's more melodic than the usual chord changes. The quarters on kick are going to cover up what the bass is doing. Instead of playing quarters on kick, I'd kick on just 1, or 1 and 3. That way there is space for the audience to hear what the bass is doing.

It's funny that you post about this because I was just at a workshop for drums and bass. Ha ha ha ha. So this is fresh on my mind.From a drummer's standpoint, I learned a lot about working with the bass player.
Good quote in here ;D i agree with you. If you listen to music you will always hear that the bass and the drums are linked. I hadn't noticed that when i began. And then a colleague who plays drums too (and who went quite far with his band touring with Indochine) had told me that i had to pay attention to this. And he was right, now i try to always link the bass and the drums to make it united.

drumsforlife

killdrum1983":1w5zqu5o said:
drumsforlife":1w5zqu5o said:

Good quote in here ;D i agree with you. If you listen to music you will always hear that the bass and the drums are linked. I hadn't noticed that when i began. And then a colleague who plays drums too (and who went quite far with his band touring with Indochine) had told me that i had to pay attention to this. And he was right, now i try to always link the bass and the drums to make it united.
I also learned that it would be a good idea to listen to your band play certain passages without drums. And then listen to the same passage without the bass. That way you hear just how important the bass is to that passage and you can structure your drum parts accordingly.

m

I put drums on hold a few years ago and made bass my priority.
I've still got a pretty sizable collection of instruments, but don't get to play them quite as often lately.
I believe playing both instruments can really improve your musical understanding and abilities, they are so closely related.
Plus, you can really feel them both

drumart.79

i'm actually currently playing drums in one band

www.myspace.com/devola

and bass in thisband

www.myspace.com/inalldishonesty

i just recently played my first show with in all dishonesty, and i have to say, it was so much fun. i've never been able to move around on stage and run up to the front and egg people on and run into the guitar players and singer and... oh man. drums are my one true love, but i'm really enjoying not being on that side of things a lot as well. it's also making me think a lot while i'm composing drum parts for new devola stuff. which is always a plus.

www.myspace.com/chuckdick

shiebcte

i dont play bass but me and my brother whos the bassist in my band are really tight and we do alot of stuff based of each other.