Drumming with Headphones on...

haylo

Hi,

Apparently, playing along to favorite CD's with headphones on is an age-old drumming tradition.

Any advice on this? It seems simple, but ain't working for me...

I've tried nice big audiophile headphones, cheap crappy headphones, earbuds, and in-ear's.

It always seems to come down to--either I can't hear the music enough to keep up with it, or the music is blasting way too loud in my ears, destroying them.

I've tried lifting the headphones slightly, so I can hear the drums in the room as well as the CD/headphones....I don't know, I just can't get it to where it feels right to play along to....

It really seems like by the time you get the headphones loud enough, you'd be destroying your hearing.

Rob Crisp

I actually play with headphones live and I have just bought the Vic Firth stereo isolation headphones.

They're great cause they cut the volume down shed loads and you can have the music/click whatever, quieter. You can still hear whats going on outside, but without having music destroy your ears.

They stick to your head too, unlike other pairs I've tried. Oh, and they don't cost fuck all compared to some headphones!

http://www.vicfirth.com/products/headphones.html

Shalaq

I also recomend SIH1 from Vic. They cut 20dB of noise, so you can listen to the music at a lower volume and still be able to hear drums. I use them for rehearsals and playalongs. I don't use them at gigs, because Usually there is no time to plug the regular monitors out and my headset in.

Jamell

Sony noise cancelation, blast it all the way on an ipod, you can hardly hear your drums, and your ears dont get hurt, works for me, find them and radio shack
Cheers
-Tom :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Drum-Elk

beyerdynamic DT 770 M, is a Headphone made for FOH-Engineers and Drummers. This one should supply your needs.

dammow

you can get good quality headphones for a price but the way to do it on a budget is to use your standard in ear phones and the get a pair of builder type ear defenders over the top! you can get a pair for next to nothing and i find they work great as you cant hear your drums too loud over the music!!! try it!!

m

I use Studio Kans when recording-
I think they're pretty similar to the Vic Firths?
* Koss reference speakers
* On/off switch
* Volume control
* 9' heavy-duty replaceable stereo cable
* Up to 29dB isolation

they make a 'metrophones' model with a metronome built-in, but I haven't tried that one.

I use the Vic Firth stereo isolation headphones too and it's really a good tool to have. Before this, I was using the normal headphones and my ears always hurt from both the in-ear volume as well as the drum volume. The Vic Firth headphones really works wonder.

Modern Drummer has an article recently on the topic too. There are a lot of stereo isolation headphones in the market. Invest in a good one and it will serve your ears well.

The Freq

I use the Vic Firth headphones and love them.. I don't use them on live gigs but I do have specially made ear plugs with DB filters.
While practicing and while wearing my Vic Firth headphones, I have the music also running through a small P.A. system just to add low end to my sound to help give the feel of playing with a real band.

Metropolis1021

i'm looking into the vic firth headphones. but for playing with music, get some cheap isolation headphones like at home depot or something, and just put a pair of in-ear ipod style headphones under them. it keeps the drums out and you don't have to turn the music up to loud!

Gazdkw82§

The Freq":2tgiqa0z said:
I use the Vic Firth headphones and love them.. I don't use them on live gigs but I do have specially made ear plugs with DB filters.
While practicing and while wearing my Vic Firth headphones, I have the music also running through a small P.A. system just to add low end to my sound to help give the feel of playing with a real band.
these specially made ear plugs, where can you get them from? are they kind of tailored to your ears?

drummachine

I use the Vic Firth stereo isolation headphones with earplugs. Imo it sounds a lot better with both than just the headphones or earplugs

Shalaq

drummachine":20c949wf said:
I use the Vic Firth stereo isolation headphones with earplugs. Imo it sounds a lot better with both than just the headphones or earplugs
Oh yes, I also use earplugs and isolation headphones when I don't play with a click/playalong. The isolation headphones have unequal reduction of frequency volume, so the sound itself is a little fattened(more bass). molded earplugs clarify the sound, so even though everything is ultra quiet, I can still hear everything very clear.

bgardn7

well, whichever route you choose, it's best to get used to the feeling of having headphones on your ears while you rock out. otherwise, you'll be facing some serious frustrations ahead when you begin recording and tracking drums.

much luck to you, homie.

soliddrummer

Shure E3's are great. I've got the noise-cancelling earbuds with them that work like a charm. Just put the click in the mix and adjust accordingly. Although I find I need to run the click through a DI in order to get it loud enough.