Drumming with Carpal Tunnel

WesNyle

Hello, my names Wes and I just wanted to ask what does anyone think about this? I have a mild case of Carpal Tunnel I believe, im going to the Doctors soon to get it checked out BUT are there any solutions anyone has? Tips to help the wrists and hands. Does anyone else have Carpal Tunnel and drum? I just wanna know because im REALLY scared ill get Carpal Tunnel and wont be able to drum, that and going def are really my only fears in life. Please help if possible

Potatoe Snack

my wrists were hurting for awhile and my guitarist suggested I had early symptoms of carpal tunnel and gave me this little hand/wrist excersize thing called the Cats Paw. It helped and my wrists dont hurt anymore. You could try looking into that, maybe? I dont know if the pain was actually caused my carpal tunnel or just weak wrists or what, but it defintally stopped it.

Spydr2000

Well the people that I know that have it say never get surgery because it makes it worse. I do believe Morgan Rose of Sevendust uses a technique of switching up hands which eases up on constant motion. I seen a video of him doing this on youtube.com.

DrummerByron

The pain and numbness comes from the resistance of your wooden sticks. Try the exercises and switch to AHEAD sticks. The AHEAD sticks have .01 resistance compaired to a wood stick that has .09. If AHEAD sticks did not exist I would not be drumming now. I call them the "old man sticks" because they are used by older drummers. Wood sticks kill my wrists and makes my right arm numb. I have Moderately Severe Carpal Tunnel and it hurts if I don't have an ergonomic solution for my arms and wrists. I have to have a memory foam mouse pad and all that crap. It sucks because all that stuff costs more than the regular stuff.
Good luck and I hope you can keep drumming.

WesNyle

Hmm ive got an old pair of Joey's AHEADS ill put some new sleeves and tips on them and try them out. I also think ill use that Cat Paw exercise you said. Thanks

phil-drummer

im only 16 and i play blast beats everynow and agen , so i try n loosen my wrists up quite often , hopefully i too wont get this desease tho

DrummerByron

WesNyle":28goyl5u said:
Hmm ive got an old pair of Joey's AHEADS ill put some new sleeves and tips on them and try them out. I also think ill use that Cat Paw exercise you said. Thanks
The true test is hit the wood stick on a solid surface like a table top then hit the AHEAD stick on the same surface. You can really feel the difference then. In fact I was going to fill in as a sub drummer for a band and the guitar player (who is in his 40’s) is a drummer too and I let him play with my AHEADs’ and he really liked them and he said he will be buying a pair soon.
I know there are a lot of drummers that complain about the AHEAD sticks for one reason or another, but if it comes down to playing vs. not playing then I will choose to play the instrument I love no matter what ailment affects me.

SGarrett

I've seen old men who've been playing with wood sticks for 60 years without any hand problems.

Your problems are all technique. You don't need to strangle the sticks to hold onto them. You only need to hold them tight enough that they don't fall/fly out of your hands. If you're playing heavy and hard hold the stick at the second knuckle. If you're playing lighter hold the sticks at the first knuckle (closest to the finger tips). Use the rebound, don't fight it.

Shsdrummer08

im only 16 and also play marching snare quite a bit besides drumset, and have had a taste or it already, very painful but the "cats paw" motion is good and also what i like to do for drumcore exercize is to palm the stick in the middle and have your elbow bent at 90 degrees parallel to the ground, once youve got this posission get your opposite hand and push the stick up and to the side...for your left hand you want to push it out 2 the left and your right hand ..push it out to the right you want to hold the stick at 90 degrees peperndicular to the ground and hold it there with your other hand and make sure your elbow isnt rubbing into your side when you do this....if you can hold that posission with each hand for five to ten minutes each night on a consistant basses...and stick with the "cat paw" motion ...and just make sure you warm your wrists up to playing and stretch them out after a little bit it should help.

Good luck man! hopefully this problem doenst get any worse for ya.

also you may want to consider looking at and refining your technique as well if you have these kinds of problems typically drumset drummers dont have a ton of problems with this...marching just got to me because the sticks are so much bigger...snare stuff is a totally different ball game but the problem just carried over for me.

SmellsLikeIan

I read in MD that die cast hoops on the snare can speed up carpral tunnel (I know....they sound great, easy to tune, and YES I have them on mine, but I also get some pain every now and again). Try triple flanged.

SGarrett

Shsdrummer08":jew07631 said:
im only 16 and also play marching snare quite a bit besides drumset, and have had a taste or it already, very painful but the "cats paw" motion is good and also what i like to do for drumcore exercize is to palm the stick in the middle and have your elbow bent at 90 degrees parallel to the ground, once youve got this posission get your opposite hand and push the stick up and to the side...for your left hand you want to push it out 2 the left and your right hand ..push it out to the right you want to hold the stick at 90 degrees peperndicular to the ground and hold it there with your other hand and make sure your elbow isnt rubbing into your side when you do this....if you can hold that posission with each hand for five to ten minutes each night on a consistant basses...and stick with the "cat paw" motion ...and just make sure you warm your wrists up to playing and stretch them out after a little bit it should help.

Good luck man! hopefully this problem doenst get any worse for ya.

also you may want to consider looking at and refining your technique as well if you have these kinds of problems typically drumset drummers dont have a ton of problems with this...marching just got to me because the sticks are so much bigger...snare stuff is a totally different ball game but the problem just carried over for me.
Are you talking about the twisting motion where you can raise the stick to 12 o'clock just by twisting your wrist? I ended up with some elbow problems from that after about 15 years.

WesNyle

Ive been trying some of these techniques and what not and its helping more and more. I still need to work on things but if it gets worse ill just play rock instead of Metal....*sniff sniff* lol

SGarrett

WesNyle":36haf86e said:
Ive been trying some of these techniques and what not and its helping more and more. I still need to work on things but if it gets worse ill just play rock instead of Metal....*sniff sniff* lol
If you haven't already, learn the Moeller technique. Dave Buckner (P.Roach) had the same problems before he took lessons from Mike Cosgrove (Alien Ant Farm) and learned proper technique.

PD

hey every one.

I have been playing 10 years or so now and my right hand has started to develop some problems. If i am ever playing 16ths with just my right hand its not long before it gives up.
some times i starts to really ache which doesnt go away for a few weeks. it only really started when i moved back to sticks from aheads. Its really caused me problems as i seem to really have this issue with playing 16th's with my right hand and i see drummers who have played aslong as me do it with ease.

i am thinking i should switch back to the aheads..

just wondering if maybe i have the signs of carpol tunnel.

MRSTICKSTUFF

Being a self taught drummer, my approach to the kit was balls out. This worked OK for about 10-15 years then the rigomortise set in. Working those muscles
for so long pulled everything out wack. This starts the whole carpol tunnel, wrist-arm thing.

That is the idea behind my product, Stick Stuff. Dip your own drumstick of choice and relax to a grip that has helped me, "Along the Way"
Don't know where i'm going but its helping!

Mike
www.drumstickstuff.com
www.stickstuffgrip.com
www.myspace.com/mikesstickstuffgrip
www.myspace.com/mrstickstuff

fourstringdrums

I was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel back in January and I had Endoscopic surgery on both of my wrists. I walk with crutches, so the constant pressure I put on my hands is what caused the CTS and made my recovery alot harder. I still have pain and am actually unable to work. Fortunately, I can still play drums, as it helps my pain and my doctor agrees. Because of the excercise and movement involved, in my case it some how helps me. Most importantly though I have to make sure that I'm setting up to be as comfortable as possible and I'm using correct technique.

I wrote an article for my website talking about my experiences (although even though it's a few months old it's outdated in regards to when I talk about work and my situation..I'll have to add a footnote). It also talks about some warning signs in regards to CTS and how you can prevent it, and gives some helpful links online. I hope it helps some people.

http://www.handidrummed.com/articles/tv2ct_part1.php

drumnovido

Everybody keeps on talking about Carpal Tunnel. Where is this place? Is it in the U.S? Europe? Asia?

If you ask me doing regular hand exercises should help. Rotating wrists, ball squezzing (no not your balls, I meant like a tennis ball), and hand execises with sticks.

WesNyle

If you haven't already, learn the Moeller technique. Dave Buckner (P.Roach) had the same problems before he took lessons from Mike Cosgrove (Alien Ant Farm) and learned proper technique.[/quote]

Ok I think I will!! :)