Drumming Pains

Crash101

has anyone else had problems with their knuckles hurting after playing for a while...im not a particularly hard hitter and i play the "to the drum, not through it" technique...im just wondering if im the only one and if there's any way to stop it...i dont grip my sticks tight either...really the only one that bothers me is the joint between my hand and my index finger on my snare hand

CASCINAIDRUMS

Crash101":1vhhcaox said:
has anyone else had problems with their knuckles hurting after playing for a while...im not a particularly hard hitter and i play the "to the drum, not through it" technique...im just wondering if im the only one and if there's any way to stop it...i dont grip my sticks tight either...really the only one that bothers me is the joint between my hand and my index finger on my snare hand
I have pain all the time ,,what one drummer said to me was"NO PAIN, NO GAIN. I remembered that every time I wanted to stop because of my pain,My body get's used to it and then moves on to another part of my body like my hips and biceps,,,Man does that hurt. I like to play hard rock and I'm always jamming hard on those drums when I'm playing with a band,,I'm not so hard on myself when I play alone (practice)but work out the pain and keep on playing, the pain will move on.

phil-drummer

my back n hip and legs usually kill , i shud warm up more often tho , so ive only got myself to blame, dont help that i quite like to use the odd 2nd bass drum aswell

maddrumer4490

Crash101":1qr78lc8 said:

my guess is as u said technique
you have to keep your tunnals open and grip with your fingertips i use to have the sameproblem ...aftershows i couldnt even pack my stuff up it was bad
believe it or not it a big part that u cant skip over i had to restart from square one because of it

robfc

Lately i've had pains in my arms and wrists. Especially my left arm which i hit my snare with. It feels like my arms/wrists seize up and go all stiff, so obviously after one gig of this, i made sure i extensively warmed up, but it made no difference! V.frustrating.

Crash101

i really have no problem dealing with pain, ive played till my fingers bled before then all i did was tape them up and go on....but i was kinda worried it could lead to further injury but im glad to know that im not the only one who deals with these things
thanks for all the input

dob?

they say if you have good technique you shouldnt have any pains or anything like that... but im not gonna lie, im still kind of new to double-bass so my legs get sore after playing awhile. :? also, i used to get calluses on the left side of my index finger on my snare hand after a lengthy practice, but that dosnt happen anymore... just get your technique down and the pain will probably go away. :D

lousypadrummer

robfc":3g26b49m said:
Lately i've had pains in my arms and wrists. Especially my left arm which i hit my snare with. It feels like my arms/wrists seize up and go all stiff, so obviously after one gig of this, i made sure i extensively warmed up, but it made no difference! V.frustrating.
I have the same problem. My left (snare) hand gets extremely sore from the base of my pinky to my wrist. I wish I knew what caused this.

strokelahoma

lousypadrummer":31cx7v50 said:
robfc":31cx7v50 said:
I have the same problem. My left (snare) hand gets extremely sore from the base of my pinky to my wrist. I wish I knew what caused this.
I also used to have this problem. the thing is that you need to relax. My teacher used to tell me that all the time and I would always tell him I was relaxed but if you use more wrist and less arm not only will you be able to play faster than you used to but you will also be in much much less pain. same thing with the bass drum and legs just rel;ax them more if you are playing heal up try heal down, it gives your legs a bit of a break and you can actually get faster with it. all of this takes some serious focus and practice. I still find myself tensing up if I don't watch myself. even though it doesn't sound like much give it a try it could do you a world of good. and really focus on it too. if you are truly relaxed while playing and you keep yourself that way you will learn to play faster and with less pain. but you have to work at it and be sure that your muscles really are relaxed. oh and if you are wondering you can still play really loud this way. just because you don't have your full arm behind it doesn't mean it is going to be a weak hit.

Eiren

Yes, keep as relaxed as possible and make sure you regularly stretch and exercise. A drumming friend of mine was recently diagnosed with Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) as a result of drumming, and is having to be extremely careful from now.

It's all about making sure you have a good technique.