Drumming Gloves. Why????

Steaky

Why do some players wear Drumming gloves. Is it nessesary or just flat out ridiculous? I'm thinking it's the latter. I would love to see how all of you view this out there.

Cheers

m

there's nothing ridiculous about it- people wear them to prevent blisters or for a better grip. It's just a personal preference.
I think they especially appeal to heavy hitters who need a little extra protection from blisters. There are plenty of A-level pros who use them

stump

EOTE_drummer":1hsszrku said:
but the down sides are u cant use ur fingers as well. Travis Smith of Trivium uses them.
They make drumming gloves with the finger tips cut out. I tried them along time ago. Didn't like them but they make them.

screamkevin

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. I wear a pair of Zildjian gloves when I play. My band only plays 2-3 times per month, and my residence is not at all conducive to practicing, so I only get to play when my band plays. I lost my callouses a long time ago, and I'd rather wear drum gloves than wake up on a Sunday morning with my hands screaming at me while covered in whole and broken blisters.

And if you think it looks stupid, go tell Vinnie Paul (ex-Pantera/ex-Damageplan/Hellyeah drummer) that. He'll wear his drumming gloves while he drives you into the ground like a railroad spike. :wink:

LawNinja

Some do it jsut for show, but others like that guy who plays with his band 2-3 times a month have good reason to wear them, so no i dont think its ridiculous, in fact in some cases it looks kinda badass.

iatemygoat

i used to wear ahead gloves because i had problems dropping my sticks. after using them for a while i went back to not using them because...well.. i kind of left them in my stick bag all sweaty for over a month(it got stolen, long story) and they came back to me covered in mold.

so naturally i had to rebuild my calouses and i dont think ill ever wear gloves again. the only reason i lose sticks now is if i hit a rim from underneith or something but never because my hands get too sweaty.

LadyThunder

I've played with gloves before, but didn't like the feel. I personally prefer to play without 'em. I play almost daily so my calouses are built up, so there's nothing to worry about.

It's all preference as in everything else in drumming, everyone has their comfort zone. I still don't understand why people would use them to prevent blisters though, because you'll never build up your calouses that way. It is understandable though for drummers who don't play as often and don't have the opportunity to build up calouses. The blister phase can last around two months in my experience, before you get calouses. I dunno, just ramblin here... :wink:

xbeatblasterx

oh i use to use gloves

and ya i had to buy them cuz my blisters were getting pretty bad

to the point were i couldnt grip the sticks

but the ones i had didnt have very good grip

so now i just tape my fingers were i would get blisters

during shows and practices

xbeatblasterx

LadyThunder":2mcwti8o said:
I've played with gloves before, but didn't like the feel. I personally prefer to play without 'em. I play almost daily so my calouses are built up, so there's nothing to worry about.

It's all preference as in everything else in drumming, everyone has their comfort zone. I still don't understand why people would use them to prevent blisters though, because you'll never build up your calouses that way. It is understandable though for drummers who don't play as often and don't have the opportunity to build up calouses. The blister phase can last around two months in my experience, before you get calouses. I dunno, just ramblin here... :wink:

oh ya lol
i cant play often
only at band practices
which is only the weekends
i use to have them but not nemore :(

amontholdDrums

maybe ill get shot for saying this.. but proper technique helps all of that out.. i hit pretty hard cuz i play alot of fast punk and shit.. i got blisters all the time.. i took the pain for 2 years super gluing my blisters and shit.. and well now.. i have a calis thats pretty sexy.. i dont hit my drums excessively hard and i dont have to swing any harder then any of the really loud guys.. i work dynamics and i can play as loud as them with just a proper stroke.. thanks to drumline.. i have the chops to do that stuff.. but i think they are rediculous.. i love natural feels and they arent natural...

my say

Joezeppi

it's just a personal preference thing, just like how some people can play wit shoes on and some people (like me) have to play barefoot all the time.

hxc_adie

i personaally have never had to use drummers gloves for set. although during the marching band season it gets cold.. ad although theyre thin theyre not to keep your hands warm but to keep them insolated so your muscles stay loose and good grip so when its maaad cold youc an still feel the friggin sticks. lol.
i like them for that really

JohnRobMHIM

Yeah I used to use gloves, I had a pair of underarmor batting gloves though.

I only really did it for the look, and because of sweat.

Although if you're getting your sticks sweaty you can just use wrist bands, they work well.

I think I'm switching to wrist bands actually, I think they look a little more bad ass.

MetalHead

Yeah I think it's pretty much mainly to stop rubbing which causes blisters. I just tape my fingers if i get a blister but i hardly ever do. I dont see how they grip that much, my hands get sweaty all the time and i still dont drop sticks, I only drop them if they get stuck under my ride or something while doing a fast fill.

phoenix7289

I probably should get some... because I get blisters when I play for awhile... I play FAST and HEAVY. So it sucks when I get blisters.. they hurt like a MOFO!!!!

Justiceislost17

The downside to wearing gloves is you dont calus your hands as well so if something comes up like if your at a friends house or you forget them for a show the blisters will be worse. I play really hard and I dont wear gloves. I did get blisters at first but I just played through them and now I dont get them anymore. but everyones different. theres nothing bad about it. its more of a personal thing

Naomi McFadyen

I wear gloves when I drum due to wearing rings and it can rub if I play for a while... I don't play "heavy" as such, only when I need stress relief, and to play louder you just raise ya stick more anyway, not grip tight and bang hard.

I don't wear them for looks as I don't play in a band and don't need to try and "look good" for anyone.