drumming faces/habits

DrewDeLaPoots

first time posting. does anyone have a drumming face/habit? i tend to play with an underbite even though i dont normally have one. you think this is a bad habit? everytime i finish a session my jaw is sometimes sore. i try to not play like that but i find myself concentrating on keeping a normal straight face more than my actual playing and its noticeable. anyone? nice messageboard by the way. cheers

Scott_Hurford

i tend to bite my top or bottom lip, its annoying really and i try not to do it coz i always have a line on my lip after i finish playing lol from when i've been biting it

WhiteOleander

haha I have both your problems =D usually I have an underbite which looks horrible, people have kindly informed me of that :oops: so now I tend to bite my bottom lip or pout, both unflattering =D

Scott_Hurford

WhiteOleander":2ybir0tk said:
haha I have both your problems =D usually I have an underbite which looks horrible, people have kindly informed me of that :oops: so now I tend to bite my bottom lip or pout, both unflattering =D
:lol: how annoying is it, ay? no1's sed anything to me about it tho. i tend to pull other faces too, like sticking my tongue out of one side of my mouth haha and also having a big smile while drumming sometimes hehe thts one of my favs :lol:

WhiteOleander

Scott_Hurford":13mh1huz said:
WhiteOleander":13mh1huz said:
:lol: how annoying is it, ay? no1's sed anything to me about it tho. i tend to pull other faces too, like sticking my tongue out of one side of my mouth haha and also having a big smile while drumming sometimes hehe thts one of my favs :lol:
haha atleast you look happy, iv heard that I look pissed or like im about to bite someones head off.. what can i say, i'm agressive :lol:

Scott_Hurford

WhiteOleander":t3dak7lx said:
Scott_Hurford":t3dak7lx said:
WhiteOleander":t3dak7lx said:
haha atleast you look happy, iv heard that I look pissed or like im about to bite someones head off.. what can i say, i'm agressive :lol:
8) haha i no a few ppl who look angry when they drum, its cool tho haha i guess some ppl get the anger out from hitting the skins :p

XIxPxGX

hahaha everybody has a "stupid" facial expression when they play
at shows or when i get into it i do this side head bang thing with my mouth open or ill press my lips together or bite the side of my lip

Go Champale

...I know I probably look a little overly-concentrated.

But I know I will never look as stupid as a singer trying to stay busy during a guitar lead.

PaulZILLA

i dont have those. my guitarist tells me i dont move enough. tht i look bored. then again he wants me to be a clone of Lars Ulrich. and theres no way im gona air hump and try to look like i struggle to play my own songs. id rather look bored. when i play stuff i really enjoy or thats really technical. which same thing most of the time. i tend toget this spaced out look and just start movin with my sticks and feet. just kindaflow around and stuff. its wierd ha ha

Mad_cow

Ahha, well I look like I'm in deep concentration,

I've herd you can get rid of drummer face by practicing in front of a mirror and correcting your face, and eventually you won't have it any more.

I haven't tried it but its worth a shot.

metaldrummer

my worst habit would be moving my other hand when it doesnt need to.(this finger problem I've had since I was a child) It looks weird, but it doesnt bother me, since I cant control it when I am holding a stick(sometimes)

for example: if I was to do a b, s, b, s my opposite hand would move the stick as if it was hitting the snare.

I do the classic slow headbang or head shake a little too much.

the one thing I think I do sometimes is a "blank stare"

I can play without doing anything, like If I was performing, I would just be normal with occasional headbang and other weird actions.

giantdrummer

Yes mate im affraid most of us drummers make silly faces when we drum! Mine being a gurning face for when im in a nice groove or I just curl my lips in. I therefore look like a bit of an arse when im playing (probably), but we have to remember not to give a shit! I think the worse the face the better the player, Ha Ha!

p.s this is also my first time on this forum!

downshifter99

Mad_cow":2nbpzd28 said:
Ahha, well I look like I'm in deep concentration,

I've herd you can get rid of drummer face by practicing in front of a mirror and correcting your face, and eventually you won't have it any more.

I haven't tried it but its worth a shot.
Yes,Steve Gadd says to do that.

90% of the time I look pissed-off...doesn't matter if I'm playing or not. :twisted:

zero_or_die77

i don't ever make faces unless it's on purpose. like if we all seem to flow really good with each other i'll make a weird face at my guitarist or something. i do headbang some though! i love to headbang.

my drumming face people say i either look like im in extreme pain, in a car going really fast or having an orgasm. unfortunately i dont really have any mid action shots of my drumming coz they always come out blurrd........ when i dont have to focus so much and i can pay more attention on not pulling the faces i try to make a more agressive face. people so i look like im maybe miming the the sound of the cymbals with my mouth, like POW! for my china lol!! :roll:

l_e_i_g_h

Hehehe...the "look of pain" is normal. 8)

ross666dreamcatcher":1cuoucay said:
my drumming face people say i either look like im in extreme pain, in a car going really fast or having an orgasm. unfortunately i dont really have any mid action shots of my drumming coz they always come out blurrd........ when i dont have to focus so much and i can pay more attention on not pulling the faces i try to make a more agressive face. people so i look like im maybe miming the the sound of the cymbals with my mouth, like POW! for my china lol!! :roll:

WhiteOleander

PaulZILLA":14d2dzie said:
i dont have those. my guitarist tells me i dont move enough. tht i look bored. then again he wants me to be a clone of Lars Ulrich. and theres no way im gona air hump and try to look like i struggle to play my own songs. id rather look bored. when i play stuff i really enjoy or thats really technical. which same thing most of the time. i tend toget this spaced out look and just start movin with my sticks and feet. just kindaflow around and stuff. its wierd ha ha
ahh that was and still is my biggest problem.. I look bored =( but hell you're right im not gonna bounce around asif i have a firecracker up my ass just to look like all those other 'overrated' drummers

alexforwood

When I started I made this face that earned me the nickname "fish" which has stuck for the last 5 years :D sorta stuck my bottom lip out (this was completely unintentional and sub concious) now i jus play head down and concentrate which means people only see my hair!! :D