Drummers with bad backs

bam bam3

i have lately expericed back problems for serval diffrent things but i have been playing through the pain is it best for me to wait or just keep playing and hope it goes away?

and does any other guys out there expericece back pain too

Musicfreak15678

I have back pain, but its not due to playing drums. I just slouch a lot. But when I do play the drums, I try to keep my back straight as possible because it can cause problems over a long period of time.

I would recommend doing exercises to stretch your back. If the pain is bearable, play through it. If you think it's serious and might cause more problems in the future, I would lay off for a bit and try exercises to keep it straight.

-Aaron

bam bam3

thanks for the reply man yea i got mine from sports injury but its bearable and it just comes off and on so i thinkill be alright i just wanted to hear other peoples opinons

mortem

yeah, I experience back pain as well.. but it's more of a family thing. Always keep in mind about keeping your back straight... posture is extremely important for both your back and your playing.

JJdrmr

About the back pain thing... I know what it's about.
For example, if you see John Bohnam, he's hunching over alot when he plays.
But, personally, a drummer named Jack Gavin (Charlie Daniels, Tanya Tucker), who is family friends with my dad and I, he NEVER slouches...
He sits on the drum throne straight up.
It must be a professional thing. I know that he went to a school in New York for professional percussion.
So.... try to sit up if you slouch...

Flatliner

just try to sit up straight, you'll have less pain. I know it can be hard, I'm a horrible sloucher by nature, but I get managable but annoying back pain when I don't ait up straight.

drkilldrmz

Most of my back issues stem from helping lazy soundmen carry 300 LB speakers out at the end of a show, just so it won't look like im not helping..

DrummingJorge

I have the same problem. My back is bad though due to bad posture at my day job. I sit behind a desk and computer all day and I tend to slouch. Even when I play drums I have to correct myself by not slouching. Even without a bad back I feel it's important to play straight up. I've noticed my playing gets sloppier when I slouch.

dougthedrummer

drkilldrmz":2iswycnq said:
Most of my back issues stem from helping lazy soundmen carry 300 LB speakers out at the end of a show, just so it won't look like im not helping..
Yeah..I have back pain too,but it does seem like the drummer is usually the guy that does most of the lifting..or is it just me?I have noticed it with other groups though too,thats why I try and help other drummers as much as I can.

DrumFiend0206

I've got pretty bad back problems, and my back used to hurt REALLY bad during practice and stuff, but then I just got a drum throne with a backrest, and it's helps LOADS.

I reccomend getting one, not just for the support issue, but because it'll help you learn to sit straight up and down on a throne.

James_85

Try repositioning your kit so if u play slouching it feels awkward. u shud automaticaly straighten up then. try things like positioning cymbals higher up and with less tilt... and toms flatter...also try raising your stool/throne slightly...if ur thighs r pointing down it pulls ur lower back straight.

(my first post! hope im talkin sense lol)

leotaylor

Not only is slouching an issue to keep in mind, but also don't let youself twist your back too much. Your arms should be long enough for you to reach everything, particularly you floor toms, without you having to twist your body to play them. Keep you body looking straight forward when you play, and like everyone has suggested keep your back straight and not slouched. If you must twist, I would suggest stretching before you play to loosen things up a bit.

Also, yoga is good for drummers.

quikstang2

Yeah dude, my back isn't in the best shape from some muscular imbalances. I've corrected it quite a bit but it'll still get to me after a while. I got a Gibraltar Rock-n-Soc throne with a backrest for a couple reasons. 1) It allows me to lean back a little and rest when I'm not doing anything intense and 2) when I don't feel it on my back I know that I'm slouching or just not in good posture so I correct myself.

You can move around when you play. Don't get all rigid and feel like your stuck in that one position with a rod going through your throne, up your cornhole and straight up your spine... just try to have good posture like 90% of the time.

If you're injured or something, do some therapy exercises, yoga, Pilates... something to help yourself, not just for drums, but also for your general health.

DrumFiend0206

quikstang2":2luxjjbw said:
Yeah dude, my back isn't in the best shape from some muscular imbalances. I've corrected it quite a bit but it'll still get to me after a while. I got a Gibraltar Rock-n-Soc throne with a backrest for a couple reasons. 1) It allows me to lean back a little and rest when I'm not doing anything intense and 2) when I don't feel it on my back I know that I'm slouching or just not in good posture so I correct myself.

You can move around when you play. Don't get all rigid and feel like your stuck in that one position with a rod going through your throne, up your cornhole and straight up your spine... just try to have good posture like 90% of the time.

If you're injured or something, do some therapy exercises, yoga, Pilates... something to help yourself, not just for drums, but also for your general health.
That's EXACTLY the reason I got a Rock -n- Soc throne, haha. It really does truly help.

atomheartmuther

Jojo Mayer talked about a period where he experienced back pain in an article I read a while back. He said after doing some personal internal research on himself he found it was a lighting problem that added stress. He always set himself up in a situation where he had to dodge the lighting on stage which resulted in excessive strain on the back. So it could be something as simple as that which is contributing to your discomfort. He also mentioned watching what you eat, exercising, STRETCHING, and paying close attention to the activities you perform during the day to avoid any unwanted strain on the back. Don't know if that helps but it's worth a shot.

iminaband

I have noticed, my left ass cheek really starts to hurt when I sit on my throne for too long.. also, I wrote a reply on the Marching band discussion and out of all the positives I had to say about it The back problems is definatly the negative...

Danny cayocca

break the prism

i can pretty much keep perfect posture when i play, even if i'm playing with a lot of energy. it really helps to work out your back on the side every once in a while.

insultinjury

I slouch when I play and I work on a computer all day that is under a glass table, so I slouch there too. So I know about back pain... I just try to make a conscious effort to sit up straight. I have also been thinking about getting a throne with lumbar support. That actually might help you the most if your pain is from an injury.

has anyone tried and throne with a back on it like a regular chair im prety sure these exist if so i would like to purchase one

i have ben having back pain too i have ben off from work for a long time after a stroke and i was being treated with steroids which caused me to get this big belly and i have an awfule time with my back and legs

sometimes i have to stop practicing