Drummers that use 2 ride cymbals

awesomeAustin

I'm gonna be buying a second ride cymbal for my new metal project, and I want some interesting music where the drummer uses 2 ride cymbals.

I know of:
Gene Hoglan (Death, Stapping Young Lad)
George Kollias (Nile)
Frederick Anderson (Amon Amarth)
David Grey (Akercocke)

Anyone else?

break the prism

Bill Bruford (Yes, King Crimson, Earthworks) actually uses three rides, I believe.

I like to have a full combination have a 20" Zildjian K dark ride set up as my main ride, and a 20" Zildjian A riveted ride for an alternate. I switch pretty regularly between them, and I've got to admit that I sometimes prefer the sizzle sound. It's great to have a variety of sounds, IMO.

audiotech

Because of all the different genres of music I play, I own actually 9 rides. I use a double ride on three of my kits and a single ride on the fourth. The other two rides are for switch ability. Hey, I've been in this for quite a while, lol.

Dennis

metldrummer2112

I'd be willing to bet that Samus of Abigail Williams uses 2 rides. Peter Wildoer of Darkane uses a ride and then a bell as a secondary ride, using the same fundamentals as 2 rides. And if I remember right, Sean Rienert of Cynic uses 2 rides. Out of everyone listed on the page, I'd recommend you listen to Cynic. Sean Reinert fuses jazz and metal together so incredibly well

jaundiced

John Longstreth of Origin and Dim Mak (among several others..) would be a good listen. Also check Kollias' other project, Sickening Horror

Alan_

jaundiced":2kn3ixpl said:
John Longstreth
I was thinking that dude used two rides.

I certainly have a hard enough time telling which hand he's gonna be leading with at any given moment.

Alan_

many, MANY jazz drummers use 2 rides (one on left, one on right), and no dedicated crash cymbal. They just shoulder crash the ride when they want a crash.

Asdex

Really? My bad then. If I can know, what are his set up? Those crashes looks pretty large, and if I'm not wrong, he rides on them too pretty frequently.