Drummer's Stage Presense and Showmanship

NoDrumsForYou

what are some of the things you guys do??

Also, I've got a battle of the bands at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in about 8 days and I don't really have to many things adding for showmanship right now. Any suggestions? And who can give me the 411 on playing while standing up.

I'd say your best bet would be experimenting with twirling, tossing and other things. I'd say the main thing that's important is just trying what you're comfortable with and what you can pull off in your particular style of music. Best of luck on your battle!

Gazdkw82§

i always have t wonder about showmanship. i know its an important part of playing but i think some people take it too far.

I mean how much time during a gig you spend thinking about your next trick? are you concious through the whole performance on how you look and not how you sound?

my method is first of all make sure my playing is sounding good, then add a LITTLE! flare, this is just as simple as body movement, face expressions i think sometimes this is much more impressive than throwing sticks around. once that is cracked add the stick twirling etc etc.

number 1 rule is, dont let showmanship spoil or take over from your playing!

seandude

DrewDeLaPoots":2x581mfw said:
stick twirling and throwing helps. as for standing up im not to sure about that but if you like metal you should watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS9lkjD-Nxg the band is animosty and their drummer is nuts. he does a few things standing up and he stands up and spins 360 while playing a fill...
what are the lyrics "BALGABARAFAFAFAGAGAGABARAAA"

DrewDeLaPoots

seandude":9ijqy31g said:
DrewDeLaPoots":9ijqy31g said:
stick twirling and throwing helps. as for standing up im not to sure about that but if you like metal you should watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS9lkjD-Nxg the band is animosty and their drummer is nuts. he does a few things standing up and he stands up and spins 360 while playing a fill...
what are the lyrics "BALGABARAFAFAFAGAGAGABARAAA"
yea pretty much. but that band is awesome. i like metal so sue me.

The Heel

For me it becomes a blurry line of when you become a clown instead of a player.

I mean when you see guys twirling guitars and playing with the guitar behind their heads you roll your eyes at them.

So when does it get to the point in which people are rolling their eyes at you juggling 3 sticks and playing catch with the lead vocalists mic in between side sticking eigth notes with a stick taped to the side of your head?

I think Bonham was a monster showman without ever doing more than a few simple twirls. His showmanship was shown through his intensity, his passion, his love of what he was doing.

Chad Smith is similar, Steve Gadd... these guys dont need tricks. Do you?

edondrums

Im a big fan of stick throwing
Like throwing the stick up from the snare

ANd like drew im a huge metal fan
Animosity are sweet
Each to his own