Drummers/Lead Singers

ChrisNichols

Doesn't have to be full time, but does anyone here ever do lead vocals at the same time as drumming? I do a few songs in my band, I can sing at the same time as doing some fairly complex grooves, but I have to leave off the extravagent fills until instrumental sections. But I'm working on it!

Anyone else? If you're the full-time lead vocalist as well as the drummer that would be epic.

likelight2flies

Nice! I have respect for anyone who can sing and play at the same time. Thats pretty awesome in my opinion. I know the drummer from Atreyu does pretty much all the clean vocals. If I remember correctly, the drummer from Underoath does some singing. Darren from Arsis does the deep guttural growls. I can't even imagine doing it at all. I never noticed any full time vocalists though. I agree that would be awesome. Guitarists who do lead vocals astound me.

okjohne

Don Henley Did it for years with the Eagles.. People Don't remember him as a Drummer though. He's Known as a singer songwriter and there's more money in that any how.. I can't think of any one though I'm sure someone fits the bill who is known for their drumming and also sang leads... May be, it will be you.

Brother_Bong

I can do a little, mostly chorus and backup shouts, but I tend to stay away as my voice is in like G or lower and right now our project is in A standard (traditional top string E tuning). But I have fun with the C and C sharp tunings

keith bushey

I agree...any drummer that can sing and drum at the same time is truely gifted! I can't. I try, but I can't. Quess I'n not a multi-tasker.

Royspeed

Well, I am going to have a go!
I recently bought a wireless headset microphone, as Steve, the guitarist and lead vocalist, has suggested that I sing the two songs I have written for the band, so our next rehearsal on Sunday 30th will be interesting, to say the least!

Roy.

Gabimo

theres a local band near me. the guy who drums(also helped with getting my first set), i dont know his name, but he sings to several songs. its wicked, and funny because you dont notice whos singing

eml

A rater unknown band, but the drummer of the Finnish band 'The Hurriganes' is the lead vocalist (as far as I know only the bass player does some backup vocals). He doesn't do any cool fills though, but I guess that's quite understandable.

I wish I could sing, I'd definitely give it a try. I need to really sing from the waste if I'd even be able to hit more than 4-5 tones, which seems kind of hard to do while sitting there drumming.

ChrisNichols

Yeah, for now while I'm drumming I mostly stick to the midtones, I save the really cool vocal stuff for my other band (I'm lead singer in that one). I'm working on it though.

nickg

i've been one of the lead singers in every band i've been in. just came natural to me, though some drummers do have a hard time with it. no problems here though. :)

Sara_Tama!

i have no idea how i drum and sing at the same time, guess cos when i was learning to my favourite songs i used to sing along at the same time...
I just usually do the backing vocals in my band though. But theyre is an awsome indie/electro/rock band in Australia called Gotye...quite massive here in the music scene (they even won an ARIA Award!! .... our version of the Grammys) and the drummer is the lead singer, and 'lead man' i spose who organises all the music.
check em out http://www.myspace.com/gotye

Sara_Tama!

peacehead":ust1c3g9 said:
I am the lead singer of my band HEADPEACE. It is not an easy thing to do, especially with any type of Hard Rock music. I give it up to any drummer that can do it... but you can hear it yourself. http://www.jamheadpeace.com
hey checked out ya space..NOT BAD AT ALL!
ur voice and a bit of ur sound remind me of Incubus!
keep it up buddy!

Fleabear

One of my favorite songs.....but not one of my better performances. I also sing lead on "Godzilla" by Blue Oyster Cult, "American Band" by Grand Funk Railroad, and few others.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NBdwKQygeAE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NBdwKQygeAE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I play drums and sing alot of lead for my band im kinda the lead singer but i can keep nice beats`s and sing but cain`t really do any crazy fills or anything if im Singing!!!!

Sara_Tama!":2ophsqp3 said:
peacehead":2ophsqp3 said:
I am the lead singer of my band HEADPEACE. It is not an easy thing to do, especially with any type of Hard Rock music. I give it up to any drummer that can do it... but you can hear it yourself. http://www.jamheadpeace.com
hey checked out ya space..NOT BAD AT ALL!
ur voice and a bit of ur sound remind me of Incubus!
keep it up buddy!
Nice job dude great playing and singing u havve som great Talent