Drummer Control

dbkman

Ok, in my opinion, I think a drummer is at his best ( or her best...cyn shut up ) when he or she shows restraint, control and reservation. Instead of doing the craziest stuff and throwing down your best moves, why not do whats best for the song? i think that takes great musical maturity and control. and i think like any other instrument, i think its obnoxious when a guitarist or drummer or even singers just go nuts and make a fool of themself. its cool for like 5 seconds then ya, that blows it. tell me what you guys think! serve the song? or serve the ego? ( and this also depends heavily on the genre so discard that reply, this is very general )

BillRayDrums

Speak for the situation. Use words that are appropriate. No one likes speaking to a know-it-all or someone who uses words that induce headaches.

Now replace "speak" with "play". Replace "words" with "musical concepts".

Edge3591

If I'm understanding correctly: I'd rather see a band that sounded good, didn't get obnoxious, and didn't go unnecessarily crazy and they just stood there showing no emotion. Than hearing an annoying as hell band that played the craziest crap all the time but they had very good stage presence. BTW I have seen an annoying band like this and they almost destroyed another bands equipment as they jumped all over their amps and guitars, They almost killed our singer because they were swinging they're guitars around like monkey men and the drummer. oh, the drummer. He didn't know what a verse and chorus was. Played the same thing the whole time (like a wild ape)

SmellsLikeIan

Hella? That's the first word that comes to mind. Sure, they are capable of amazing technicality, but no one will ever praise their songwriting....

DrumFiend0206

dbkman":2hvb3hjw said:
billy ray...i have no idea what your talking about...but let me speak in a way that wont give you a headache...you're as useful as a shit flavored lolly pop. understand? dont come at people like that. im creating a topic for conversation. not to be dick back and forth. grow up
I'm pretty sure he meant by speaking for the situation, to play for the situation. Meaning that no one likes playing with or listening to someone who uses musical concepts that induce headaches.

He was in no way attacking you.

JAdrums2k

I think there's room for both...

A good musician knows when to shine and when to step back.

Plus it really does depend on what you play. Progressive for one example is complex and is made up of a lot of the virtuostic elements (aka...noodling)

I like to have the option of sitting back & playing for the music... but also having the option to push the song hard to another level

rufus4dagruv

dbkman":3uxrpdol said:
billy ray...i have no idea what your talking about...but let me speak in a way that wont give you a headache...you're as useful as a shit flavored lolly pop. understand? dont come at people like that. im creating a topic for conversation. not to be dick back and forth. grow up
Uh, I'm not going to defend Bill Ray, but I'm pretty sure he was in agreement with you. He was simply saying that the "know-it-all" is someone with a huge bag of tricks who plays them for the sake of playing them rather than playing for the situation, at least that's how I first interpreted his post.

The only person on the attack here is you. If you want to know a little more about Bill, find the thread where he posted a vid of himself performing with Ike Turner. You will see that he does exactly what you're talking about and does it amazingly well.

TheYardstick

dbkman":lk6dl2w0 said:
He wasn't talking about you, it was just one of his strange metaphors.

mortem

dbkman":28m8bln5 said:
I'm astonished by your lack of IQ... then again, not really.

dbkman

i replied like that because just after his post i got a message from someone with the name "billy ray s-s" and that person called me a dumbass. i assumed it was him, billy ray sorry for the explosion. my mistake, but you can see the mix up. but i wanna know who this other guy is. sorry bout that.

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

dbkman":st07yxyr said:
Ok, in my opinion, I think a drummer is at his best ( or her best...cyn shut up ) when he or she shows restraint, control and reservation. Instead of doing the craziest stuff and throwing down your best moves, why not do whats best for the song? i think that takes great musical maturity and control. and i think like any other instrument, i think its obnoxious when a guitarist or drummer or even singers just go nuts and make a fool of themself. its cool for like 5 seconds then ya, that blows it. tell me what you guys think! serve the song? or serve the ego? ( and this also depends heavily on the genre so discard that reply, this is very general )

You are 100% correct.

Atmerrill

I rather liked Bill's thought - and, isn't that what we're supposed to do anyway? Play the drums and make contributions that enhance the music and help raise the level of musicianship?

If the drummer is truly in the "driver's seat," (and I believe so) then it really has to start with us.

Good one Bill! 8)

Rob Crisp

I gotta say, I love Billy's metaphors! :p

I agree with you 100% though, some drummers play things because they can, rather than because they should!

SHOGUNWARRIOR32

BillRayDrums":4qqrfwur said:
Speak for the situation. Use words that are appropriate. No one likes speaking to a know-it-all or someone who uses words that induce headaches.

Now replace "speak" with "play". Replace "words" with "musical concepts".
me being new here and not having a clue about any previous metaphors, i can understand that as being offensive...but now that people explained billy's train of thought , i see what he means.

BillRayDrums

DBK and I have worked out what was said and it was truly a mistake. No hard feelings or otherwise exist.

That being said know this about me- If I were out to insult anyone, I would not be very covert about it. I will tell you exactly what I think, as I have. In no way will I shine any sort of disrespect towards anyone. However if disrespect blows my way for no provoked reason I will issue the verbal beat-down and dependant upon my mood, level any peripheral spite towards my quarry. (Ask the clubowner who pissed me off.....you know, the guy who doesn't own the domain name for his club......guess who snagged it, LOL and guess who can pay me $5000 for it).

Other than that I am your buddy, your pal, a kinder and gentler asshole who wants to be your friend. :)