drum stick invention

drummerboy24

I was thinkin, for drummers who like to hit the bell of the cymbal alot, do you think like if i took like a drumstick and like flattened out like four sides of the stick like little but more than half way up the drumstick, would that be a good idea?

DrumsPlus

drummerboy24":15nvmuma said:
I was thinkin, for drummers who like to hit the bell of the cymbal alot, do you think like if i took like a drumstick and like flattened out like four sides of the stick like little but more than half way up the drumstick, would that be a good idea?
Draw it up and give it a shot. Who knows you may have a winner.

dwtoast72

drummerboy24":2hgwh1vo said:
I don't know bro... Never do till you try... It's all assumptions and guesses till you get to the trial period.
But, those 90* corners of the stick might cause more damage than you think. Know what I mean?? Or did I misunderstand your intent?
Play Hard

Homki890

You mean like a square stick, instead of a round one?

Try it out, take a 2B or larger and shave it down to a square shape. See what you get.

Homki890

LeJayk

Square at the top, but round where you grip. Nice idea..I'm not sure on how it would help with cymbal strikes though. And if the stick spins a bit in your hand, you'll have a sharp corner striking, instead of the flat side.

Give it a go though :D

pdp

Yeh, I don't know how that's gonna sound. It will probably just like make your
head explode (depending on what ride you have).

JohnRobMHIM

I'm skeptical, most likely if you hit the bell of your cymbal with a 90 degree angle you're gonna lose that corner on your stick pretty easily. I hit really hard though, and half the sticks I break are from hitting the bell of my ride cymbal, so these sticks would not be for me at all.

I'm not really sure how it would effect the sound though, I know hitting a bell with a flattened out section of your stick eats up some of the volume, so that seems like an adverse effect. Hitting it with a sharper edge might make it louder? but I don't know really.

mrgreenjeans2234

hmm, thats an idea
i say go for it, its a stick their expendable
so no worries on the risks involve.

well cept if it doesnt work out to good for the cymbal
so use your prototype on a crap cymbal. just as a
safty precaution.

just my one little question is
as interesting of an idea this is
dont you suppose that maybe the stick companys stick
to the normal round shape?

im not saying dont go for it just a thought
but try it who knows maybe one day
well all be on this forum talking about how great drummerboy sticks are?

good luck bro lets us know how it works for you

BLS2112

Pro-Mark did it a long time ago...I think I still have a pair hiding out somewhere...
They were called "Quattros" best I remember...Never caught on real well...
I kind of liked them...
Cross-sticks and rim-shots on the snare were amazing...
However were not very traditional grip friendly...Killed my left ring finger...
A round "gripping area" would have been great...
All the best...B

MrMcFetus

That'd be pretty sweet if you could keep the flat edge down... I think you should go to GC, pick up a pair of 2B's and shave the second third of the the stick, keep the grip and the part where it tapers, then try it out, see how it works.

drumnovido

I remember ProMark coming out with a drumstick like just like how you explained it back in the late 80's early 90's. I had a pair. I remember it feeling a little stiffer but not really offer any better response with the Bell.

kazzman

There's actually a company called Xcel Drumsticks that places a secondary striker about 1.5 inches below the tip to maximize the projection of a bell accent. They also offer models with counterweights at the butt end of the stick to lower the fulcrum and bring the center of gravity more in line with your hand rather than in the center of the stick.

cgaffka

I would try them.
On the corners of the square part, make it like a rounded edge square, instead of sharp edges, but still have the flat sides.
Itd be worth a try.
Also probably try it with the sticks that have both butt ends, the sticks(i dont remember which company made them)that were made for twirling and stuff.

Furious P

Hello,

This is my first post, so bear with me... I have been enjoying many different threads on this site for a few months already and thought I should start to contribute as well...

When I was a kid in the 6th grade, we had an invention contest in the G&T class, for which I made a pair of drum sticks that had extra holes drilled into them. The purpose was to make the sticks more aerodynamic! (...as if 7As are too heavy and create a lot of wind resistance or something...) Well, you can guess that they broke the first time I tried to use 'em on my set!

As for the idea from drummerboy24, I think the partially squared-off sticks would break pretty easily if you were to hit the sharp corners when crashing on cymbals or hitting a lot of rimshots. Therefore, maybe not that practical... but give it a try and let us know!

P

win_daddy

BLS2112":3vmox4ta said:
Pro-Mark did it a long time ago...I think I still have a pair hiding out somewhere...
They were called "Quattros" best I remember...Never caught on real well...
I kind of liked them...
Cross-sticks and rim-shots on the snare were amazing...
However were not very traditional grip friendly...Killed my left ring finger...
A round "gripping area" would have been great...
All the best...B
I still have an old pair of those! They are Quattros.
I didn't like playing with them a lot, but I remember signing a couple pairs for people at club gigs- LOL!
Early-mid eighty's I think.......

Gabimo

Furious P":oobtgtjg said:
Hello,

This is my first post, so bear with me... I have been enjoying many different threads on this site for a few months already and thought I should start to contribute as well...

When I was a kid in the 6th grade, we had an invention contest in the G&T class, for which I made a pair of drum sticks that had extra holes drilled into them. The purpose was to make the sticks more aerodynamic! (...as if 7As are too heavy and create a lot of wind resistance or something...) Well, you can guess that they broke the first time I tried to use 'em on my set!

As for the idea from drummerboy24, I think the partially squared-off sticks would break pretty easily if you were to hit the sharp corners when crashing on cymbals or hitting a lot of rimshots. Therefore, maybe not that practical... but give it a try and let us know!

P
7A? why not try it on a thicker stick. it might work, so people wouldnt be able to say they are slower :wink:, thicker isnt slower